Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > power outage- can I get around it?

power outage- can I get around it?

cconnell_1@lycos.com

Hello,

We have a situation where a remote network of ours at a hosting
facility will be down for one day as all the hosts will not have
power(over 2 floors) I want to redirect all traffic ultimately to one
server here running a maintainence page so that any web traffic will
have maintainence page. Our ISP's router will not be down during the
day as it is in another floor. Question is as follows

1) Can i ask the isp to add a static route on their router to redirect
all the traffic to my router here?
2) As the destination address would not physically exists on our
network - I guess I would have to perform some sort of nat to fool it
that it is so could I
- perform some nat on my router so that all destination ips would get
translated to one ip(of the webserver running the maintainence page),
then I guess I would have to make sure traffic is returned to the isp's
router by putting in a policy based route so the router would route all
traffic back to the isp's router based on the source address of the
webserver(that was just natted), instead of its default one.

How do other people get round this type of problem? If we change dns
then it is about 500 urls I dont want to change if I can avoid it. All
routers are cisco 2621 and 2505

Thanks

Matt

Well first of all I'd find a new hosting facility... one that can
provide redundant power.. and doesn't shut down their systems for a day!
Hope you aren't paying them too much.

> Hello,
>
> We have a situation where a remote network of ours at a hosting
> facility will be down for one day as all the hosts will not have
> power(over 2 floors) I want to redirect all traffic ultimately to one
> server here running a maintainence page so that any web traffic will
> have maintainence page. Our ISP's router will not be down during the
> day as it is in another floor. Question is as follows
>
> 1) Can i ask the isp to add a static route on their router to redirect
> all the traffic to my router here?
> 2) As the destination address would not physically exists on our
> network - I guess I would have to perform some sort of nat to fool it
> that it is so could I
> - perform some nat on my router so that all destination ips would get
> translated to one ip(of the webserver running the maintainence page),
> then I guess I would have to make sure traffic is returned to the isp's
> router by putting in a policy based route so the router would route all
> traffic back to the isp's router based on the source address of the
> webserver(that was just natted), instead of its default one.
>
> How do other people get round this type of problem? If we change dns
> then it is about 500 urls I dont want to change if I can avoid it. All
> routers are cisco 2621 and 2505
>
> Thanks

Matt

> How do other people get round this type of problem? If we change dns
> then it is about 500 urls I dont want to change if I can avoid it. All
> routers are cisco 2621 and 2505

Sorry forgot to answer this question in my previous post.
People get around this by A) choosing hosting providers that have
redundant power and a/c feeds into their data centers, and by choosing
hosting providers who care enough to have a generator! There is no
excuse for not having power to a data center. We just went through a
power outage here where I work and had no issues, as we have a
generator. PPL turned their power off to do work.. lights went out..
server room hummed along and looked kinda pretty...
B) if you are the hosting provider, then providing a power backup
generator if things are really that important.. or worst case.. get a
little generator and run a tiny little apache machine with a maintance
page.. run your core router and maybe a switch and that machine.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a situation where a remote network of ours at a hosting
> facility will be down for one day as all the hosts will not have
> power(over 2 floors) I want to redirect all traffic ultimately to one
> server here running a maintainence page so that any web traffic will
> have maintainence page. Our ISP's router will not be down during the
> day as it is in another floor. Question is as follows
>
> 1) Can i ask the isp to add a static route on their router to redirect
> all the traffic to my router here?
> 2) As the destination address would not physically exists on our
> network - I guess I would have to perform some sort of nat to fool it
> that it is so could I
> - perform some nat on my router so that all destination ips would get
> translated to one ip(of the webserver running the maintainence page),
> then I guess I would have to make sure traffic is returned to the isp's
> router by putting in a policy based route so the router would route all
> traffic back to the isp's router based on the source address of the
> webserver(that was just natted), instead of its default one.

A static route won't do it, because TCP/IP is routed hop-by-hop. So
*every* router along the path would have to have static routes.

A better solution might be to create an IP-in-IP tunnel from the hosting
ISP to your router, and configure a static route that points to this
tunnel.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

cconnell_1@lycos.com

Thankyou, I do understand now, that there would be difficulties as
every router in between would need a static route for it to work. I am
interested to learn about IP-in-IP tunnel, where can I learn more about
it? - does it have another common name?

Hansang Bae

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thankyou, I do understand now, that there would be difficulties as
> every router in between would need a static route for it to work. I am
> interested to learn about IP-in-IP tunnel, where can I learn more
> about it? - does it have another common name?

If you tell your provider you would like to use a GRE tunnel, they will
know what you mean.

Changing the DNS entry is also a hit-n-miss because you can't control
the propagation across the world.

Another possibility would be to ask your provider to NAT it for you.
Have them NAT the existin address to your new address for the day.

I'd seriously consider a new hosting facility.

--

hsb

cconnell_1@lycos.com

Ok I will ask about GRE. Regarding the comment with DNS, I have noticed
that doing this way is never reliable either as you said but Im not
quite sure why, is it because of the way some big ISP dns servers
refresh their cache or something?
Our ttl on the domain is 4 hours, so if I changed it to 10 minutes, I
would have thought after 4 hours the world will see
the new ttl, then it should mean that all the domain entries have a
life of 10 minutes, then they are refreshed from the authoritative
server. So if I set a url to one ip, then set it to anther, updated the
dns, the change should be seen around the world after 10 mins.
>From past experience this does not work for everyone and some of our

customers have to wait a few hours, or restart their dns server.