Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > CDP and Microsoft Windows Servers

CDP and Microsoft Windows Servers

Sri

Hi all
Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to
talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows
Server machines (say Server 2003).

Thanks in advance
Srihari

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Sri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to
:talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows
:Server machines (say Server 2003).

Not without installing some software on the Windows server. But if
you have a handy cannon ready to swat that fly, then see

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/...t/icmsw_ov.htm
--
Any sufficiently old bug becomes a feature.

Peter

Hi Srihari,

> Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to
> talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows
> Server machines (say Server 2003).

The CDP protocol is proprietary to Cisco, so it is not normal for any
3rd party to have support for it unless it is specifically written in.
HOWEVER... about a month ago I noticed that one of our new Windows
Servers was appearing in a 3750 switch "sh cdp nei" command, so
perhaps MS are now writing something in there for it.

Cheers.................pk.

---
Peter from Auckland.

Yes, it can be use if for example you are running a CCM on it, then
ciscoworks will identify it status.

--
2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

///////////////////
--Anthrax--
//////////////////
"Sri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi all
> Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to
> talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows
> Server machines (say Server 2003).
>
> Thanks in advance
> Srihari

http://www.usenet.com

Russell JF Kirk

There is a LINUX CDP stack available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdpd. I'm fairly certain I've seen a
3rd party Win32 stack also, but haven't been able to easily track it
down.

"Sri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all
> Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to
> talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows
> Server machines (say Server 2003).
>
> Thanks in advance
> Srihari

Russell JF Kirk

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but looks like it will do the job
http://www.tallsoft.com/CDPMonitor.htm. The one I've seen previously was
just a CDP stack, without the monitoring. I also think it was
distributed under the GPL. Try Googling perhaps.

"Russell JF Kirk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed):

> There is a LINUX CDP stack available at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdpd. I'm fairly certain I've seen a
> 3rd party Win32 stack also, but haven't been able to easily track it
> down.
>
> "Sri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi all
> > Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to
> > talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows
> > Server machines (say Server 2003).
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Srihari

Alan Strassberg

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Russell JF Kirk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>There is a LINUX CDP stack available at
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdpd. I'm fairly certain I've seen a
>3rd party Win32 stack also, but haven't been able to easily track it
>down.

Here's a Win one (commercial USD$15)

http://www.tallsoft.com/CDPMonitor.htm

alan

Scooby

"Alan Strassberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d8fi4d$v0a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Russell JF Kirk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >There is a LINUX CDP stack available at
> >http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdpd. I'm fairly certain I've seen a
> >3rd party Win32 stack also, but haven't been able to easily track it
> >down.

> Here's a Win one (commercial USD$15)
>
> http://www.tallsoft.com/CDPMonitor.htm
>
> alan

McAfee Virusscan sez that this file has a backdoor virus. Do not download.

Russell JF Kirk

Nasty - thanks for the post - I'll see if I can track down the one I've
come across before and will come back to the group.

news:(E-Mail Removed):