Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python GUIs comparison (want)

python GUIs comparison (want)

jiang.haiyun@gmail.com

Now i began to learn GUI programming. There are so many
choices of GUI in the python world, wxPython, pyGTK, PyQT,
Tkinter, .etc, it's difficult for a novice to decide, however.
Can you draw a comparison among them on easy coding, pythonish design,
beautiful and generous looking, powerful development toolkit, and
sufficient documentation, .etc.
It's helpful for a GUI beginner.
Thank you.

Sorry for my poor english.

John Henry

> Now i began to learn GUI programming. There are so many
> choices of GUI in the python world, wxPython, pyGTK, PyQT,
> Tkinter, .etc, it's difficult for a novice to decide, however.
> Can you draw a comparison among them on easy coding, pythonish design,
> beautiful and generous looking, powerful development toolkit, and
> sufficient documentation, .etc.
> It's helpful for a GUI beginner.
> Thank you.
>

> Sorry for my poor english.

I like Pythoncard. Simple. Get the job done fast.

Cameron Walsh

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Now i began to learn GUI programming. There are so many
> choices of GUI in the python world, wxPython, pyGTK, PyQT,
> Tkinter, .etc, it's difficult for a novice to decide, however.
> Can you draw a comparison among them on easy coding, pythonish design,
> beautiful and generous looking, powerful development toolkit, and
> sufficient documentation, .etc.
> It's helpful for a GUI beginner.
> Thank you.
>

> Sorry for my poor english.

I googled "python gui compare" a while back and got
www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html as the first result.

Every variation on the values I entered seemed to point me to wxPython,
which I'm still using now. However, they seem to think that EasyGUI is
the easiest to learn, but that it suffers on "Maturity, documentation,
breadth of widget selection".

All the best,

Cameron.

Paul Boddie

Cameron Walsh wrote:

> I googled "python gui compare" a while back and got
> www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html as the first result.

See also the python.org Wiki for more information:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/UsefulModules
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming (big list!)

> Every variation on the values I entered seemed to point me to wxPython,
> which I'm still using now. However, they seem to think that EasyGUI is
> the easiest to learn, but that it suffers on "Maturity, documentation,
> breadth of widget selection".

The figures behind the scenes are quite enlightening for that
particular page. If you (or community experiences) don't agree with the
rankings (wxPython apparently even easier to learn than PythonCard and
Tkinter, a bunch of Gtk-based toolkits having more or less "full" Linux
scores) then you'll have some surprises, I'm sure. Nevertheless, it's
an interesting concept.

Paul

Peter Decker

On 23 Oct 2006 22:07:39 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Now i began to learn GUI programming. There are so many
> choices of GUI in the python world, wxPython, pyGTK, PyQT,
> Tkinter, .etc, it's difficult for a novice to decide, however.
> Can you draw a comparison among them on easy coding, pythonish design,
> beautiful and generous looking, powerful development toolkit, and
> sufficient documentation, .etc.
> It's helpful for a GUI beginner.
> Thank you.

I've used several, and I think that Dabo (http://dabodev.com) is the
best choice. Dabo is an entire application framework, but you can just
use the dabo.ui parts if that's all you need. Then when you are no
longer a beginner and you want to develop more complex apps, you won't
need to change tools.

--

# p.d.

Kevin Walzer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Now i began to learn GUI programming. There are so many
> choices of GUI in the python world, wxPython, pyGTK, PyQT,
> Tkinter, .etc, it's difficult for a novice to decide, however.
> Can you draw a comparison among them on easy coding, pythonish design,
> beautiful and generous looking, powerful development toolkit, and
> sufficient documentation, .etc.
> It's helpful for a GUI beginner.
> Thank you.
>

> Sorry for my poor english.

Tkinter:
Pro: Default GUI library for Python; stable; well-supported
Con: Needs extension for complex/rich GUI's; core widgets are dated in
look and feel; many modern extensions in Tcl/Tk have not made it into
Tkinter or are not widely used (Tile, Tablelist)

wxPython:
Pro: Popular, actively developed, wraps native widgets, looks great on
Windows, commercial-friendly license
Con: Based on C++ toolkit; docs assume knowledge of C++; some think
coding style is too much like C++; complex to build and deploy on Linux
(wraps Gtk)

PyQt:
Pro: Powerful, cross-platform, sophisticated GUI's
Con: Based on C++ toolkit; docs assume knowledge of C++; commercial
deployment is expensive; free deployment must be GPL; smaller
development and user community than wxPython

PyGtk:
Pro: Sophisticated GUI's, cross-platform (Linux and Win32); very popular
on some platforms; active development community
Con: Not native on OS X

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Christophe

Kevin Walzer a écrit :
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Now i began to learn GUI programming. There are so many
>> choices of GUI in the python world, wxPython, pyGTK, PyQT,
>> Tkinter, .etc, it's difficult for a novice to decide, however.
>> Can you draw a comparison among them on easy coding, pythonish design,
>> beautiful and generous looking, powerful development toolkit, and
>> sufficient documentation, .etc.
>> It's helpful for a GUI beginner.
>> Thank you.
>>

>> Sorry for my poor english.
>>

> Tkinter:
> Pro: Default GUI library for Python; stable; well-supported
> Con: Needs extension for complex/rich GUI's; core widgets are dated in
> look and feel; many modern extensions in Tcl/Tk have not made it into
> Tkinter or are not widely used (Tile, Tablelist)

Also, the Tkinter API is far less elegant than the others.

> wxPython:
> Pro: Popular, actively developed, wraps native widgets, looks great on
> Windows, commercial-friendly license
> Con: Based on C++ toolkit; docs assume knowledge of C++; some think
> coding style is too much like C++; complex to build and deploy on Linux
> (wraps Gtk)

See PyQt remarks. And I would add that the coding style is too much like
MFC and Win32 as a con.

> PyQt:
> Pro: Powerful, cross-platform, sophisticated GUI's
> Con: Based on C++ toolkit; docs assume knowledge of C++; commercial
> deployment is expensive; free deployment must be GPL; smaller
> development and user community than wxPython

Since when is "based on C++ toolkit" a con?

> PyGtk:
> Pro: Sophisticated GUI's, cross-platform (Linux and Win32); very popular
> on some platforms; active development community
> Con: Not native on OS X

You forgot that it is rather buggy on Win32 ( in my experience )

Kevin Walzer

Christophe wrote:

> Since when is "based on C++ toolkit" a con?

If you don't know C++ (as is the case with me), then it's difficult to
do a C++-to-Python translation in looking at code examples.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Christophe

Kevin Walzer a écrit :
> Christophe wrote:
>
>> Since when is "based on C++ toolkit" a con?
>>

> If you don't know C++ (as is the case with me), then it's difficult to
> do a C++-to-Python translation in looking at code examples.

As if a toolkit based on C would be much easier.

In fact, I would even say that C++ -> Python is much much easier than C
-> Python for GUI toolkits.

Fredrik Lundh

Christophe wrote:

> Also, the Tkinter API is far less elegant than the others.

huh? create object, display object, create object, display object.
sure looks like plain old Python to me...

</F>

Python GUIs Tuvas Python 3 09-21-2005 07:11 PM
Windows GUIs from Python Bob Swerdlow Python 7 01-12-2005 08:09 AM
Driving win32 GUIs with Python Andrew McLean Python 2 12-20-2004 12:07 AM
OO design, Python, and GUIs Christopher Culver Python 3 11-18-2003 11:41 PM
ANN: Guis-1.3 a GTK2 widget server (scriptable in Python & Ruby) Basile STARYNKEVITCH Python 0 09-02-2003 02:42 PM

Advertisments