Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Learning about SMS technology...

Learning about SMS technology...

VM

I've always had this idea of being able to send SMS messages (using an
application that I make) from my PC to several mobile phones. The problem(s)
I've encountered are that an SMS can only be sent to a mobile if the service
carrier agrees to it.

Would it possible (either by speaking to the carrier or doing directly,
etc...) to send an SMS to any number regardless of the service they use?
What books would you recommend to learn about how sending an SMS works?

If it is possible, I'd be writing the application in .Net C#. In the
future, I'd like to send bulk messaging to cell phones. My goal would be to
have a DB full of names and numbers and sending the same message to each one
of them. I don't need to receive any. But one of my concerns is that a text
message won't reach the recipient because of the carrier.

Thanks.

Dave

hmmm, future sms spammer... that is probably a bit beyond what this group
normally covers, that being how to wirelessly network computers on a lan.
and that whole idea is probably why sms providers limit who or how to send
messages to their subscribers.... i know i wouldn't pay for sms service if i
was open to spam on it!

"VM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've always had this idea of being able to send SMS messages (using an
> application that I make) from my PC to several mobile phones. The

problem(s)
> I've encountered are that an SMS can only be sent to a mobile if the

service
> carrier agrees to it.
>
> Would it possible (either by speaking to the carrier or doing directly,
> etc...) to send an SMS to any number regardless of the service they use?
> What books would you recommend to learn about how sending an SMS works?
>
> If it is possible, I'd be writing the application in .Net C#. In the
> future, I'd like to send bulk messaging to cell phones. My goal would be

> have a DB full of names and numbers and sending the same message to each

one
> of them. I don't need to receive any. But one of my concerns is that a

text
> message won't reach the recipient because of the carrier.
>
> Thanks.

You should forget this idea.
SMS are handled and send by the SMSC (SMS server0 from
the cellular provider.
There is no way to send mass-SMS without access to the
server, and of course the help of the provider.