Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > webvpn and thin clients

webvpn and thin clients

dt1649651@yahoo.com

I am trying SSL VPN ( WebVPN ) as a solution for my customers who need
access to the company apps when they are at some Internet kiosks( they
have no notebooks with them )

I read the SSL VPN on Cisco website and from what I understand ( I may
be wrong as I often am ), I can use the web browser to access my SSH
server or to check emails from some kind of "built-in" applets that
play the role of an SSH terminal emulater or email client. ( The reason
I think that way is because of the phrase "no manual software
deployment" and "those users may also need secure access from other
remote endpoints, such as Internet kiosks ...)

Is that right ?

I make some tests on the router 2811 with IOS 12.4.1 in order to SSH to
my internal Linux server. After I log into the https://myrouter I can
go to the window Application Access with the list of something like
SSH 127.0.0.1:30000 192.168.249.17:22 ....

but I do not see any applet to help me to access the server.

I can open a terminal emulator to the 127.0.0.1:30000 to acess to my
Linux server, but that's not what I am trying to do. When I am at a
Internet Cafe's PC, I do not have a SSH terminal emulator.

Am I going the wrong way ? Or can I only do that with a Concentrator,
not a router ? Or do I miss something on my router configuration ?

Thanks for your advice,

DT

Eric Sorenson

> I read the SSL VPN on Cisco website and from what I understand ( I may
> be wrong as I often am ), I can use the web browser to access my SSH
> server or to check emails from some kind of "built-in" applets that
> play the role of an SSH terminal emulater or email client. ( The reason
> I think that way is because of the phrase "no manual software
> deployment" and "those users may also need secure access from other
> remote endpoints, such as Internet kiosks ...)
>
> Is that right ?

Not quite, people will be able to get to web-based resources automatically,
and it's possible to do things like set up a webmail server for email
access, but anything that normally requires a standalong client, still
needs a client.

> I make some tests on the router 2811 with IOS 12.4.1 in order to SSH to
> my internal Linux server. After I log into the https://myrouter I can
> go to the window Application Access with the list of something like
> SSH 127.0.0.1:30000 192.168.249.17:22 ....
>
> but I do not see any applet to help me to access the server.
>
> I can open a terminal emulator to the 127.0.0.1:30000 to acess to my
> Linux server, but that's not what I am trying to do. When I am at a
> Internet Cafe's PC, I do not have a SSH terminal emulator.

If you can download and run putty , that might work, it's a single file.
Or if the web browser has a working Java implementation you can use
MindTerm: http://www.oit.duke.edu/sa/security/ssh.html

> Am I going the wrong way ? Or can I only do that with a Concentrator,
> not a router ? Or do I miss something on my router configuration ?

Router configuration is fine, but you will need some kind of client for ssh.
--
- Eric Sorenson - N37 17.255 W121 55.738 - http://eric.explosive.net -
- Personal colo with a professional touch - http://www.explosive.net -

Comparing thick and thin clients Mike ASP .Net 4 08-29-2006 05:43 PM
Thin Clients Rosco Computer Support 0 03-31-2006 09:46 AM
Rich Thin Clients are URGENTLY needed for java!!! Keith Java 2 02-23-2005 01:59 AM
Help - Setting Up Authentication via Active Directory (Group Membership) for IPSEC and WebVPN Clients on VPN3K webspider Cisco 3 12-15-2004 04:35 AM
Lightweight web services for thin clients like PDAs? Digital Puer Java 0 08-10-2004 07:40 PM

Advertisments