Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Dial-up through a Cellphone?

Dial-up through a Cellphone?

Shiva Parvati

Hi, how is everybody doing?

I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here is my
question:

Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access through
the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?

(I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)

Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that will do
this?

I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my email
address also. I do not get to access newsgroups very often (one of the
reasons for this inquiry!).

Everybody have a very good day.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Shiva

Philip Herlihy

I know that some phones including Nokia have a "software modem" available
which can use the PC's infrared port or a cable connection to the phone.
Shockingly slow, though, unless you're on GPRS or similar.

--
####################
## PH, London
"Shiva Parvati" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi, how is everybody doing?
>
> I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here is

my
> question:
>
> Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access through
> the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?
>
> (I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)
>
> Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that will

do
> this?
>
> I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my

email
> address also. I do not get to access newsgroups very often (one of the
> reasons for this inquiry!).
>
> Everybody have a very good day.
>
> Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
> Shiva

Peter Wilkins

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:15:12 -0700, "Shiva Parvati"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Hi, how is everybody doing?
>
>I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here is my
>question:
>
>Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access through
>the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?
>
>(I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)
>
>Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that will do
>this?
>
>I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my email
>address also. I do not get to access newsgroups very often (one of the
>reasons for this inquiry!).
>
>Everybody have a very good day.
>
>Thanks in advance for any responses.

I use a Nokia 6210 cellphone which has WAP and also an inbuilt modem
and connects to my Toshiba P20 laptop via infrared. I use it when out
of range of any WiFi hotspots and when I can't get access to a
telephone line.

It works fine, connects to my ISP for email and for web browsing, with
one major disadvantage - max speed is 9600 baud!!!

I just set up a modem connection using it, with the dial-up number the
number of my normal ISP dial-up - can't use my ADSL unfortunately.
If I'm moving around a lot I do change the ISP phone number to the
nearest local number, but I don't think it makes a great deal of
difference to the call charges from the mobile.

If the 6210 is switched to infrared the laptop detects it and the
modem dial-up in Network Connections shows the 6210 modem. I just use
it like a normal modem.

If the 6210 is off or out of infrared range, the modem dial-up display
reverts to showing the inbuilt laptop modem, and will use it too, if
there is a line.

--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Jack

Hi.
It is possible.

However you need a Provider that supports it, and a Cell phone that can do
it.

I know that Sprint and Verizon provide this service.

Check with your provider.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Shiva Parvati" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi, how is everybody doing?
>
> I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here is

my
> question:
>
> Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access through
> the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?
>
> (I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)
>
> Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that will

do
> this?
>
> I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my

email
> address also. I do not get to access newsgroups very often (one of the
> reasons for this inquiry!).
>
> Everybody have a very good day.
>
> Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
> Shiva

Philip Herlihy

I've used a Nokia 6210 with my Psion Organiser to ring a standard dial-up
number in the UK. You need something on the "computer" to drive the phone,
though - a software modem.

--
####################
## PH, London
"Jack" <JackMDS at veriz0n.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> It is possible.
>
> However you need a Provider that supports it, and a Cell phone that can do
> it.
>
> I know that Sprint and Verizon provide this service.
>
> Check with your provider.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Shiva Parvati" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hi, how is everybody doing?
> >
> > I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here

is
> my
> > question:
> >
> > Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access

through
> > the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?
> >
> > (I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)
> >
> > Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that

will
> do
> > this?
> >
> > I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my

> email
> > address also. I do not get to access newsgroups very often (one of the
> > reasons for this inquiry!).
> >
> > Everybody have a very good day.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any responses.
> >
> > Shiva

Shiva Parvati

Hi, how is everybody doing?

Thanks for the very informative responses both to this newsgroup as well as
the email address.

I have learnt a lot!

This is a truly wonderful community. Bless everyone.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

Shiva
--------

"Shiva Parvati" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi, how is everybody doing?
>
> I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here is

my
> question:
>
> Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access through
> the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?
>
> (I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)
>
> Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that will

do
> this?
>
> I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my

email
> address also. I do not get to access newsgroups very often (one of the
> reasons for this inquiry!).
>
> Everybody have a very good day.
>
> Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
> Shiva

Patrick Sears [MSFT]

There is also another option for performing dialup through your cell phone.
Once Service Pack 2 for Windows XP is released, you will be able to use
Bluetooth (a fairly new wireless protocol) to use your cell phone as a modem
for dialup. Many of the newest cell phones on the market now have Bluetooth
built into them. When using an IR connection for dialup, you have to worry
about line-of-sight. But with Bluetooth, you don't have to worry about
line-of-sight. You would just need to have the cell phone within aprox 30
feet of your PC.

Here's what you would need in order to go with this option:

1) A PC running Windows XP Service Pack 2
2) A Bluetooth radio for your PC
There are several USB models available.
You would want to pick one that was supported by Windows XP SP2.
3) A cell phone that has Bluetooth built-in
Many of the newest models do.
4) Ask to make sure that the cell phone supports the "Dialup Networking
profile for Bluetooth"

From a high-level view, setting up a dialup connection using Bluetooth would
go something like this:

1) Use either the PC or the phone to "scan" (look) for the other device.
2) Once the other device is found, you dream up a "passkey" and enter the
same one on both the PC and the phone.
3) This causes the PC to automatically install the cell phone as a
Bluetooth Modem device.
4) You create a dialup connection on your PC, just as you normally would,
for connecting to your Internet Service Provider. The only difference, is
that you select the Bluetooth Modem for the dialup device.
5) Once all of this is setup, from now on, you would only need to launch
the dialup connection and connect to your Internet Service Provider as you
normally would.

Note: I have setup one of these connections before. The phone I was using
still limited the connection to a speed of 9600 bps. This would be the same
as IR. I don't personally know if other cell phones would allow a faster
connection or not.

--

Patrick Sears
Bluetooth PAN

purposes only.

"Shiva Parvati" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi, how is everybody doing?
>
> Thanks for the very informative responses both to this newsgroup as well

as
> the email address.
>
> I have learnt a lot!
>
> This is a truly wonderful community. Bless everyone.
>
> Everybody have a wonderful day.
>
> Shiva
> --------
>

> "Shiva Parvati" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hi, how is everybody doing?
> >
> > I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here

is
> my
> > question:
> >
> > Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access

through
> > the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?
> >
> > (I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)
> >
> > Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that

will
> do
> > this?
> >
> > I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my

> email
> > address also. I do not get to access newsgroups very often (one of the
> > reasons for this inquiry!).
> >
> > Everybody have a very good day.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any responses.
> >
> > Shiva

namsilat namsilat is offline
Junior Member

I was extremely happy to come cross this thread, because I am trying to make the same setup work in 2010. As pointed by someone even in 2004, there's now bluetooth technology for this. Believe it or not, I am dire need of a dial-up that's described in the original post, so I can access a particular site with my laptop via HyperTerminal, which I believe is similar to dial-up and fax connection.

I have a LG Rumor that I was able to set up to communicate with my laptop via bluetooth, but I can't get dial-up to work with it. I suspect the cell phone may not have a modem to work with dial-up, or some special commands are needed to activate that connection.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by namsilat; 11-27-2010 at 07:12 PM..