Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Compile python on Solaris 64bit

Compile python on Solaris 64bit

Martijn de Munnik

Hi,

I want to compile python on my solaris 10 system (amd 64 bit).

I did the following:

../configure --prefix=/opt/64/python
make

which resulted in this error:
"Include/pyport.h", line 730: #error: "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong
for platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."

so I edited the file and removed the error line and did a configure and
make again after a make distclean.

after a new make I get this error complaining about 32 and 64 bit.

ld: fatal: file Parser/acceler.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

when I look to the cc statements none of my CFLAGS are passed while these
are in my environment;

CC=cc
CFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all -xlibmil
-xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
CXX=CC
CXXFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all
-xlibmil -xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
LDFLAGS=-xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64

anybody succesfully compiled python on solaris?

thanks,
martijn

casevh@comcast.net

Martijn de Munnik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to compile python on my solaris 10 system (amd 64 bit).
>
> I did the following:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/64/python
> make
>
> which resulted in this error:
> "Include/pyport.h", line 730: #error: "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong
> for platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
>
> so I edited the file and removed the error line and did a configure and
> make again after a make distclean.
>
> after a new make I get this error complaining about 32 and 64 bit.
>
> ld: fatal: file Parser/acceler.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
>
> when I look to the cc statements none of my CFLAGS are passed while these
> are in my environment;
>
> CC=cc
> CFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all -xlibmil
> -xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
> CXX=CC
> CXXFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all
> -xlibmil -xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
> LDFLAGS=-xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64
>

> anybody succesfully compiled python on solaris?

I have compiled Python 2.5 successfully on 32-bit Intel platform. After
running configure, I had to manually edit the generated Makefile to add
the contents of CFLAGS.

I've had difficulties with ctypes, too. To get a successful compile, I
had to edit ffitarget.h (I think) and also use the Sun Studio Express 2
compiler suite. Or use gcc.

> thanks,
> martijn

casevh

Alan Franzoni

Il Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:46:19 +0200 (CEST), Martijn de Munnik ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I want to compile python on my solaris 10 system (amd 64 bit).

Just a question... AFAIK, Solaris 10 64 bit includes binaries & kernels for
both 64 bit and 32 bit machines. Which binaries are you actually using? I
think there could be some configuration mismatch between running binaries
and environment variables that could confuse the compiler.

--
Alan Franzoni <(E-Mail Removed)>
-

MrJean1

I did build Python 2.5 on a Solaris 10 Ultra 20 machine (Opteron) but
using the SUN compilers. Two changes were needed in the Makefile:
CXX=CC and CCSHARED=-KPIC.

There are a few issues which I have not investigated further (like Tcl
and ffitarget.h), but the tests pass except for 3 unexpected skips.
Other than that, Python 2.5 seems to be running fine, so far.

Also, I am using the Python 2.4 build for Solaris build from
ActiveState as well as Python 2.3.3 which is distributed with Solaris
in /usr/sfw/bin.

/Jean Brouwers

Martijn de Munnik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to compile python on my solaris 10 system (amd 64 bit).
>
> I did the following:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/64/python
> make
>
> which resulted in this error:
> "Include/pyport.h", line 730: #error: "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong
> for platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
>
> so I edited the file and removed the error line and did a configure and
> make again after a make distclean.
>
> after a new make I get this error complaining about 32 and 64 bit.
>
> ld: fatal: file Parser/acceler.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
>
> when I look to the cc statements none of my CFLAGS are passed while these
> are in my environment;
>
> CC=cc
> CFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all -xlibmil
> -xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
> CXX=CC
> CXXFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all
> -xlibmil -xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
> LDFLAGS=-xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64
>

> anybody succesfully compiled python on solaris?
>
> thanks,
> martijn

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Martijn de Munnik schrieb:
> anybody succesfully compiled python on solaris?

If that's really all you want to know: yes, I did.
It works for me on 32-bit SPARC, and 64-bit SPARC.

If you want to know more, you have to be *a lot*
more precise as to what precisely you are trying
to achieve, and how precisely it fails.

E.g.
- what Python version?
- what compiler? If gcc, what precise release?
- are you attempting to produce 32-bit binaries
or 64-bit binaries?

Regards,
Martin