Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Oracle database export

Oracle database export

Tor Erik Soenvisen

Hi,

I need to export an Oracle database to a DDL-formated file. On the Web, I
found a Python script that did exactly this for a MS Access database, but
not one for Oracle databases.

Does anyone know of such a tool or Python script.

regards tores

Diez B. Roggisch

Tor Erik Soenvisen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to export an Oracle database to a DDL-formated file. On the Web, I
> found a Python script that did exactly this for a MS Access database, but
> not one for Oracle databases.
>
> Does anyone know of such a tool or Python script.

Oracle is equipped with tools to do that. For example the conveniently named
export tool "exp"

No python in the equation, though.

Diez

mensanator@aol.com

Tor Erik Soenvisen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to export an Oracle database to a DDL-formated file. On the Web, I
> found a Python script that did exactly this for a MS Access database, but
> not one for Oracle databases.

How does the Python script connect to the MS Access database?

If it's an ODBC connection, can't you make an ODBC connection to the
Oracle database and use the same script? I have an application that
loads PDA data to a named ODBC connection. I point that named
connection to different databases depending on whether I'm loading
to the network database (SQL Server) or a local database (MS Access).
No modification to the application required.

> Does anyone know of such a tool or Python script.
>
> regards tores

Waldemar Osuch

On Oct 5, 9:05 am, Tor Erik Soenvisen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to export an Oracle database to a DDL-formated file. On the Web, I
> found a Python script that did exactly this for a MS Access database, but
> not one for Oracle databases.
>
> Does anyone know of such a tool or Python script.
>
> regards tores

Would that help?
http://www.python.net/crew/atuining/...ols/README.txt

Waldemar