Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > socket client server... simple example... not working...

socket client server... simple example... not working...

SpreadTooThin

client:

import socket
s.connect(("192.168.1.101", 8080))
print 'Connected'
s.send('ABCD')
buffer = s.recv(4)
print buffer
s.send('exit')

server:

serversocket = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
serversocket.bind(("192.168.1.101", 8080))
serversocket.listen(5)
print 'Listen'
(clientsocket, address) = serversocket.accept()
print 'Accepted'
flag = True
while flag:
chunk = serversocket.recv(4)
if chunk == '':
raise RuntimeError, "socket connection broken"
elif chunk == 'exit':
flag = False
else:
serversocket.send(chunk)
print 'Done'

Server says!

Listen
Accepted
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "server.py", line 11, in ?
chunk = serversocket.recv(4)
socket.error: (57, 'Socket is not connected')

Client says:
Connected

What have I done wrong now!

SpreadTooThin

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> [...]

> >print buffer
> >s.send('exit')

> Again, you didn't check the return value of send.
>

> >server:
> >
> >serversocket = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
> >serversocket.bind(("192.168.1.101", 8080))
> >serversocket.listen(5)
> >print 'Listen'
> >(clientsocket, address) = serversocket.accept()
> >print 'Accepted'
> >flag = True
> >while flag:
> > chunk = serversocket.recv(4)

> You're calling recv on serversocket instead of on clientsocket. You're also relying on recv to return exactly 4 bytes, which it may not do.
>
> > if chunk == '':
> > raise RuntimeError, "socket connection broken"
> > elif chunk == 'exit':
> > flag = False
> > else:
> > serversocket.send(chunk)

> Another missing check of the return value of send.
>
> >print 'Done'
> >
> >Server says!
> >
> >Listen
> >Accepted
> >Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "server.py", line 11, in ?
> > chunk = serversocket.recv(4)
> >socket.error: (57, 'Socket is not connected')
> >

> >Client says:
> >Connected
> >
> >What have I done wrong now!

> I recommend switching to Twisted. The Twisted equivalent (I guess - the protocol defined above is strange and complex (probably unintentionally, due to the things you left out, like any form of delimiter) and I doubt I really understand the end goal you are working towards), minus bugs (untested):
>
> # client.py
> from twisted.internet import reactor, protocol
>
> class Client(protocol.Protocol):
> buf = ''
> def connectionMade(self):
> self.transport.write('ABCD')
> def dataReceived(self, data):
> self.buf += data
> if len(self.buf) >= 4:
> reactor.stop()
>
> protocol.ClientCreator(reactor, Client).connectTCP('192.168.1.101', 8080)
> reactor.run()
>
> # server.py
> from twisted.internet import reactor, protocol
>
> class Server(protocol.Protocol):
> buf = ''
> def dataReceived(self, bytes):
> self.buf += bytes
> exit = self.buf.find('exit')
> if exit != -1:
> self.transport.write(self.buf[:exit])
> self.buf = self.buf[exit + 4:]
> reactor.stop()
> else:
> self.transport.write(self.buf)
> self.buf = ''
>
> f = protocol.ServerFactory()
> f.protocol = Server
> reactor.listenTCP('192.168.1.101', 8080, f)

Jean-Paul many thanks for this and your effort.
but why is it every time I try to do something with 'stock' python I
need another package?
By the time I've finished my project there are like 5 3rd party add-ons
to be installed.
I know I'm a python newbie... but I'm far from a developer newbie and
that can be a recipe for
disaster. The stock socket should work and I think I've missed an
obvious bug in the code other
than checking the return status.

SpreadTooThin

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> On 5 Oct 2006 07:01:50 -0700, SpreadTooThin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >Jean-Paul many thanks for this and your effort.
> >but why is it every time I try to do something with 'stock' python I
> >need another package?

> Maybe you are trying to do things that are too complex

No quite the contrary.. Which is why I want to keep it simple...

> >By the time I've finished my project there are like 5 3rd party add-ons
> >to be installed.

> I don't generally find this to be problematic.

I have because it usually means makeing on many platforms...
Most of the time this is the nightmare.

> >I know I'm a python newbie... but I'm far from a developer newbie and
> >that can be a recipe for
> >disaster.

> Not every library can be part of the standard library, neither can the
> standard library satisfy every possible use-case. Relying on 3rd party
> modules isn't a bad thing.

No but the less number of lines of code I have to support the better.

> >The stock socket should work and I think I've missed an
> >obvious bug in the code other
> >than checking the return status.

It was indeed as you said I was trying to read/write on the server
socket
not the client socket. (of the server module)

> Well, I did mention one bug other than failure to check return values.
> Maybe you missed it, since it was in the middle. Go back and re-read
> my response.

Thanks again.
B.

> Jean-Paul

Bryan Olson

SpreadTooThin wrote:
> Jean-Paul many thanks for this and your effort.
> but why is it every time I try to do something with 'stock' python I
> need another package?

Twisted has it's fan, but you don't "need" it. Your code had a few
specific problems, and fixing them has little or nothing to do with
Twisted.

> By the time I've finished my project there are like 5 3rd party add-ons
> to be installed.
> I know I'm a python newbie... but I'm far from a developer newbie and
> that can be a recipe for
> disaster. The stock socket should work and I think I've missed an
> obvious bug in the code other
> than checking the return status.

Obviously you wanted to recv() on your 'clientsocket' not your
'seversocket'. You can use sendall() to send all the given data;
it will raise an exception if it fails so there's no return code to
check. Since TCP is a stream protocol and does not have any concept
of message boundaries, you'll need to delimit messages within your
protocol, and call recv() until you have an entire message.

--
--Bryan

Fredrik Lundh

SpreadTooThin wrote:

> but why is it every time I try to do something with 'stock' python I
> need another package?

it's well known that all problems known to man can be solved by down-
language that cannot be named.

</F>