Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > An odd occurrence with G4 MAC

An odd occurrence with G4 MAC

Rush

This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.

I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
computer.

For a week now, when I open the Network icon in the Sidebar I see my
own G4 local icon and a Library Icon. After a few minutes, server icons
from other peoples computer start showing up in the list. These are 4k
aliases and cannot be opened or connected. They also cannot be deleted
because of insufficient privileges. After a restart, the list is clear
and after several minutes, more server icons appear.

My service provider states that without a wireless router this
cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.

Any thoughts

Rush

Rick Merrill

Rush wrote:
> This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
>
> I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
> Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
> computer.

Any ports open? Anyone put a AP on the LAN?

I once heard of a manager who brought his own AP to work and plugged it in!

> For a week now, when I open the Network icon in the Sidebar I see my
> own G4 local icon and a Library Icon. After a few minutes, server icons
> from other peoples computer start showing up in the list. These are 4k
> aliases and cannot be opened or connected. They also cannot be deleted
> because of insufficient privileges. After a restart, the list is clear
> and after several minutes, more server icons appear.
>
> My service provider states that without a wireless router this
> cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
>
> Any thoughts
>
> Rush

Rush

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rick Merrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Rush wrote:
> > This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
> >
> > I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
> > Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
> > computer.

> Any ports open? Anyone put a AP on the LAN?
>
> I once heard of a manager who brought his own AP to work and plugged it in!
>

> > For a week now, when I open the Network icon in the Sidebar I see my
> > own G4 local icon and a Library Icon. After a few minutes, server icons
> > from other peoples computer start showing up in the list. These are 4k
> > aliases and cannot be opened or connected. They also cannot be deleted
> > because of insufficient privileges. After a restart, the list is clear
> > and after several minutes, more server icons appear.
> >
> > My service provider states that without a wireless router this
> > cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
> >
> > Any thoughts
> >
> > Rush

I'm not certain what an "AP" is, but There is only an iMac connected
to the same router. It's been there for over a year without this
happening. Doesn't make a difference is the other computer is turned on
or not. The same thing happens if I bypass the router and go modem
direct to the G4. My service provider stated that this can't happen
without a wireless router. I said OK, but I'm looking at it. He said,
it's not our fault, it's an Apple problem.

Rush

C.

On 23 Feb, 05:57, Rush <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
>
> I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
> Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
> computer.

<snip>

> My service provider states that without a wireless router this
> cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
>
> Any thoughts
>
> Rush

I certainly have visibility of 20 or so other users in my locality
connected to the same cable provider. I see a lot of scanning/
broadcasts by smb and mdns - it's just noise, but a ready reminder
that most people in charge of computers connected to the internet
don't know much about security.

C.

Rick Merrill

Rush wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rick Merrill
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Rush wrote:
>>> This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
>>>
>>> I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
>>> Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
>>> computer.

>> Any ports open? Anyone put a AP on the LAN?
>>
>> I once heard of a manager who brought his own AP to work and plugged it in!
>>

>>> For a week now, when I open the Network icon in the Sidebar I see my
>>> own G4 local icon and a Library Icon. After a few minutes, server icons
>>> from other peoples computer start showing up in the list. These are 4k
>>> aliases and cannot be opened or connected. They also cannot be deleted
>>> because of insufficient privileges. After a restart, the list is clear
>>> and after several minutes, more server icons appear.
>>>
>>> My service provider states that without a wireless router this
>>> cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts
>>>
>>> Rush

> I'm not certain what an "AP" is, but There is only an iMac connected
> to the same router. It's been there for over a year without this
> happening. Doesn't make a difference is the other computer is turned on
> or not. The same thing happens if I bypass the router and go modem
> direct to the G4. My service provider stated that this can't happen
> without a wireless router. I said OK, but I'm looking at it. He said,
> it's not our fault, it's an Apple problem.
>
> Rush

AP ::= wireless Access Point

Could there be anything else on your LAN?

Rush

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>, C.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 23 Feb, 05:57, Rush <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > This may or may not be a security issue, I just don't know.
> >
> > I have a Macintosh G4 Mirror Front Tower running OS10.4.8. I'm using a
> > Linksys (non-wireless) Router. I have no wireless devices on the
> > computer.
> >

> <snip>
> >
> > My service provider states that without a wireless router this
> > cannot happen, so it must be an Apple problem.
> >
> > Any thoughts
> >
> > Rush

> I certainly have visibility of 20 or so other users in my locality
> connected to the same cable provider. I see a lot of scanning/
> broadcasts by smb and mdns - it's just noise, but a ready reminder
> that most people in charge of computers connected to the internet
> don't know much about security.
>
> C.

Thanks C. This sounds like what I'm seeing. What are "smb" and mdns."?
Would you conclude that someone else is doing the scanning and it's
showing up on my computer.
As to one of the other questions - My LAN consists of a G4 (Mine) and
an iMac (Wife's) hard wired to the router. This setup has been in place
for just over a year now. This phenomenon started a little over three
weeks ago, and I see three of four other computer icons. (Small
neighborhood?)

Rush