Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > ati Radeon

ati Radeon

Sportflyer

Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I log
on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and is there a
way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it permantly. Tks

David H. Lipman

From: "Sportflyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I log
| on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and is there a
| way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it permantly. Tks

What makes you think a video card does ?

Can you back it up with logs or some other quantitative data ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Sportflyer

This is what the firewall is indicating:
C:\Programfiles\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe trying to access internet
using svchost.exe theu OLE Automation.

I think this could be the ATI Catalyst Control Center looking for updates ?

I have never used this software to adjust the display etc so maybe I can
just stop auto start of CLI.exe from msconfig.

> From: "Sportflyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I
> log
> | on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and is
> there a
> | way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it permantly. Tks
> |

> What makes you think a video card does ?
>
> Can you back it up with logs or some other quantitative data ?
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Sebastian Gottschalk

Sportflyer wrote:

> This is what the firewall is indicating:
> C:\Programfiles\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe trying to access internet
> using svchost.exe theu OLE Automation.

Insufficient and most probably false information.

> I think this could be the ATI Catalyst Control Center looking for updates ?

You think, you think... could you please check its settings?

> I have never used this software to adjust the display etc so maybe I can
> just stop auto start of CLI.exe from msconfig.

Took you a long time to notice such a trivial thing...

Tx2

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sportflyer
of http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), felt we'd be interested in the
following...

> Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I log
> on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and is there a
> way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it permantly. Tks

Loads of info on Google

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+Technologies%
5CATI.ACE%5CCLI.exe&btnG=Search&meta=

(URL wrapped)

--
My reply address is invalid.
Please post replies to the group.

David H. Lipman

From: "Sportflyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| This is what the firewall is indicating:
| C:\Programfiles\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe trying to access internet
| using svchost.exe theu OLE Automation.
|
| I think this could be the ATI Catalyst Control Center looking for updates ?
|
| I have never used this software to adjust the display etc so maybe I can
| just stop auto start of CLI.exe from msconfig.

I don't usually agree with Sebastian Gottschalk but in this case I do.

On the outside chance...

Please submit a sample to Virus Total --
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In addition, unless told
otherwise, Virus Total will provide the sample to all participating vendors.

You can also submit a suspect, one at a time, via the following email URL...
(E-Mail Removed)?subject=SCAN

When you get the report, please post back the exact results.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Vanguard

"Sportflyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I
> log on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and
> is there a way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it
> permantly. Tks

The firewall keeps bringing "this" up. And what is "this"? The
firewall actually says just "this" in its alert popup? You sure it
doesn't say what process it is (by filename), what port, and what is the
target IP address or hostname? Pretty useless firewall if it can't tell
you to WHERE a process is trying to connect and on what port. Maybe it
is using the internal loopback interface on your NIC (i.e., localhost or
127.0.0.1) or maybe the external interface (i.e., the IP address
assigned to your host).

From http://ati.de/products/catalystcontr...r/faq.html#10:

"The Catalyst® Control Center has been separated into different
components (a unique instance of CLI.exe per component) because it
allows us to tune the characteristics of the process instance to the
type of component. One component is called the “Runtime”, which acts as
a server to all of the other client components. The two other client
components are the “User-Interface” and the “System Tray”. The client
“CLI.exe”s are tuned differently to enhance performance; the
“User-Interface” client is optimized to run for short periods of time,
whereas the “System Tray” client is designed to run for long periods of
time. The “preview.exe” file (used for the 3D preview) is a based on the
Win32 process (whereas the rest of the Catalyst® Control Center is based
on the .NET framework), and is strictly an OpenGL application. Note that
the preview “preview.exe” process is used only when the “User-Interface”
is operating, and is ended as soon as the Catalyst® Control Center is
closed."