Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Decryption challenge...

Decryption challenge...

SimeonArgus

I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
algorithm has certain qualities.

My goal is to prove that it is secure, in that the average I.T. person
or computer programmer isn't going to be able to look at the
cyphertext and say "Gee, I bet this says 'Hello World'".

Secondly, since I don't have need for super-strong encryption, but I
do have need for very, very, very light-weight encryption that this
text would take at least a couple of hours and a reasonable knowledge
of encryption/decription methods to get at the data inside.

My challenge is this: I will post the sreen name of the first person
to correctly decode the following cypher text. If you are interested
in trying, knowing what I've stated above, reply to this post so I
know there are people banging on it. Bragging rights to the first
person to break it open and reveal the message inside.

In case there are newlines in the message that you get, note that
there are no newlines. This should be one continuous string before
attempting to decode.

Thanks, and good luck.

--Sim.

--- MESSAGE ---
pFbeEQUsCmhqGHRexPwNJweDkrvJ/yx+LrnHv
+Eza3XJYqsL0yCLftftYsHERYlxi6XkKL5fjWOl0BBNgTqXYIc Atnp7Qxs2ODlvTMT8CWkf19qH1eA6MS
+Llaf9Llky0GqvAt0njXfX5XiFkFCHeMfx5m36ToZjucVEBuRZ yy7UftIUVjBFajgEc17E8Eh3FJjVmsH/
aXAuiZqx4HtYd9JmsAaRY5R2mPxgwMRFgz2E9/wj/
UPFZajHX0yOO9l3m0nIGRQlTz93AXRSi/8bOEaYwMjX8zoxKZmVsfAtQn3RcOIGkyfEdpb/
dYWCXp49iOvsbe5Ol2Kv2xBNhnOKaJhM3k97Qxk2OCZoWpCxAX RGg9qNgOEqYyWI2/78OkZ3hHqtEt00hX2DrGHAxEWDPYX36Cq
+Sod
+tcEPGeRZ9A2jUt4eVjBFajgGclKQ9EhqA9uSmMz3KGIlzcWr5 nsJW4N1p0eZJodhjvx4wIARlXKS96k961GffaWXEFCHc41vkRr IBRQjT3xsUWxSivRIdAnX
+8jL/CZmYITB+eF7RX3QI7EXnC7KM/qGAa+tFoBxx/
XmPuoLnH61xxBJmzqDYtRX3gMFKE16ODBTerS/
SFMOltyD07IodiGE2/70NFky0GKpDpMkxGef5X
+Fh1mNcYvg5yr7B8VwrtEQWoY9nnWVTs4cFz1DcHYCIFSKsRto CoHbhseyIGVu4L/
TmHYGQc1u7Gf9Q+QT94wMpeQx7B3nhYlNnivlEcC1MDnpU/kH
--- END MESSAGE ---

SimeonArgus

On Feb 5, 10:22 am, "SimeonArgus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
> anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
> algorithm has certain qualities.
>
> My goal is to prove that it is secure, in that the average I.T. person
> or computer programmer isn't going to be able to look at the
> cyphertext and say "Gee, I bet this says 'Hello World'".
>
> Secondly, since I don't have need for super-strong encryption, but I
> do have need for very, very, very light-weight encryption that this
> text would take at least a couple of hours and a reasonable knowledge
> of encryption/decription methods to get at the data inside.
>
> My challenge is this: I will post the sreen name of the first person
> to correctly decode the following cypher text. If you are interested
> in trying, knowing what I've stated above, reply to this post so I
> know there are people banging on it. Bragging rights to the first
> person to break it open and reveal the message inside.
>
> In case there are newlines in the message that you get, note that
> there are no newlines. This should be one continuous string before
> attempting to decode.
>
> Thanks, and good luck.
>
> --Sim.
>
> --- MESSAGE ---
> pFbeEQUsCmhqGHRexPwNJweDkrvJ/yx+LrnHv
> +Eza3XJYqsL0yCLftftYsHERYlxi6XkKL5fjWOl0BBNgTqXYIc Atnp7Qxs2ODlvTMT8CWkf19qH1eA6MS
> +Llaf9Llky0GqvAt0njXfX5XiFkFCHeMfx5m36ToZjucVEBuRZ yy7UftIUVjBFajgEc17E8Eh3FJjVmsH/
> aXAuiZqx4HtYd9JmsAaRY5R2mPxgwMRFgz2E9/wj/
> UPFZajHX0yOO9l3m0nIGRQlTz93AXRSi/8bOEaYwMjX8zoxKZmVsfAtQn3RcOIGkyfEdpb/
> dYWCXp49iOvsbe5Ol2Kv2xBNhnOKaJhM3k97Qxk2OCZoWpCxAX RGg9qNgOEqYyWI2/78OkZ3hHqtEt00hX2DrGHAxEWDPYX36Cq
> +Sod
> +tcEPGeRZ9A2jUt4eVjBFajgGclKQ9EhqA9uSmMz3KGIlzcWr5 nsJW4N1p0eZJodhjvx4wIARlXKS96k961GffaWXEFCHc41vkRr IBRQjT3xsUWxSivRIdAnX
> +8jL/CZmYITB+eF7RX3QI7EXnC7KM/qGAa+tFoBxx/
> XmPuoLnH61xxBJmzqDYtRX3gMFKE16ODBTerS/
> SFMOltyD07IodiGE2/70NFky0GKpDpMkxGef5X
> +Fh1mNcYvg5yr7B8VwrtEQWoY9nnWVTs4cFz1DcHYCIFSKsRto CoHbhseyIGVu4L/
> TmHYGQc1u7Gf9Q+QT94wMpeQx7B3nhYlNnivlEcC1MDnpU/kH
> --- END MESSAGE ---

As a side note, I will describe the algorithm once someone has solved
it, or once enough time has passed that it is impractical to have
guessed it.

--Sim.

Sebastian Gottschalk

SimeonArgus wrote:

> I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
> anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
> algorithm has certain qualities.

Well, is you algorithm faster or better provable than he existing ciphers?

> My goal is to prove that it is secure,

You can't.

> in that the average I.T. person
> or computer programmer isn't going to be able to look at the
> cyphertext and say "Gee, I bet this says 'Hello World'".

That's nothing special.

> Secondly, since I don't have need for super-strong encryption, but I
> do have need for very, very, very light-weight encryption that this
> text would take at least a couple of hours and a reasonable knowledge
> of encryption/decription methods to get at the data inside.

Then why don't you use XTEA?

> My challenge is this: I will post the sreen name of the first person
> to correctly decode the following cypher text.

You forgot the present your algorithm. The ciphertext on its own is totally
useless for such a task.

Sebastian Gottschalk

SimeonArgus wrote:

> As a side note, I will describe the algorithm once someone has solved
> it,

Bullshit. How should someone solve it without knowing the algorithm?

Bogwitch

SimeonArgus wrote:
> I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
> anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
> algorithm has certain qualities.
>
> My goal is to prove that it is secure, in that the average I.T. person
> or computer programmer isn't going to be able to look at the
> cyphertext and say "Gee, I bet this says 'Hello World'".
>
> Secondly, since I don't have need for super-strong encryption, but I
> do have need for very, very, very light-weight encryption that this
> text would take at least a couple of hours and a reasonable knowledge
> of encryption/decription methods to get at the data inside.
>
> My challenge is this: I will post the sreen name of the first person
> to correctly decode the following cypher text. If you are interested
> in trying, knowing what I've stated above, reply to this post so I
> know there are people banging on it. Bragging rights to the first
> person to break it open and reveal the message inside.
>
> In case there are newlines in the message that you get, note that
> there are no newlines. This should be one continuous string before
> attempting to decode.
>
> Thanks, and good luck.
>
> --Sim.
>
> --- MESSAGE ---
> pFbeEQUsCmhqGHRexPwNJweDkrvJ/yx+LrnHv
> +Eza3XJYqsL0yCLftftYsHERYlxi6XkKL5fjWOl0BBNgTqXYIc Atnp7Qxs2ODlvTMT8CWkf19qH1eA6MS
> +Llaf9Llky0GqvAt0njXfX5XiFkFCHeMfx5m36ToZjucVEBuRZ yy7UftIUVjBFajgEc17E8Eh3FJjVmsH/
> aXAuiZqx4HtYd9JmsAaRY5R2mPxgwMRFgz2E9/wj/
> UPFZajHX0yOO9l3m0nIGRQlTz93AXRSi/8bOEaYwMjX8zoxKZmVsfAtQn3RcOIGkyfEdpb/
> dYWCXp49iOvsbe5Ol2Kv2xBNhnOKaJhM3k97Qxk2OCZoWpCxAX RGg9qNgOEqYyWI2/78OkZ3hHqtEt00hX2DrGHAxEWDPYX36Cq
> +Sod
> +tcEPGeRZ9A2jUt4eVjBFajgGclKQ9EhqA9uSmMz3KGIlzcWr5 nsJW4N1p0eZJodhjvx4wIARlXKS96k961GffaWXEFCHc41vkRr IBRQjT3xsUWxSivRIdAnX
> +8jL/CZmYITB+eF7RX3QI7EXnC7KM/qGAa+tFoBxx/
> XmPuoLnH61xxBJmzqDYtRX3gMFKE16ODBTerS/
> SFMOltyD07IodiGE2/70NFky0GKpDpMkxGef5X
> +Fh1mNcYvg5yr7B8VwrtEQWoY9nnWVTs4cFz1DcHYCIFSKsRto CoHbhseyIGVu4L/
> TmHYGQc1u7Gf9Q+QT94wMpeQx7B3nhYlNnivlEcC1MDnpU/kH
> --- END MESSAGE ---

The best place for this sort of thing is sci.crypt but guess what sort
of reception you'd get there?

Sebastian is correct, if you want us to 'prove the algorithm has certain
qualities' then you need to provide the algorithm.

The text arrived, not on one line, but randomly truncated. I'm guessing
the truncation occoured at points where there were spaces.

So, with no algorithm, and probably corrupted ciphertext, you've asked
us to perform close to the impossible. However, this does not mean your
algorithm is any good.

Bogwitch.

Vanguard

"SimeonArgus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
> anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
> algorithm has certain qualities.

Do your own homework. You (or your parents or taxpayers) paid for the
class so to try to get something out it.

Jim Watt

On 5 Feb 2007 08:22:12 -0800, "SimeonArgus" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've got a very simple encryption algorithm.

so has every newcomer to the field of encryption, read up
about the subject and you will find out why you are wasting
your time and trying to waste that of others.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

dr@him.com

Given the specification as outlined any simple substitution method would
do the job and probably be more secure than any weak algorithm.