Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Google Picasa & Photo Sharing

Google Picasa & Photo Sharing

jaygreg

I'm not a photo sharing computer user. Don't have a webpage nor any need for
one. I've been aware that sites like MySpace and Flickr are popular for
socializing and posting photos. Still... no personal utility.

Today I just saw a potential use. From time to time, I use a digital camera
to photgraph construction problems; renovations, repairs, and things needing
fixed that get a tad expensive and involved. I've been printing these out
and carrying then with me. It would be helpful to simply view them from
machines owned by the merchants and vendors with whom I find myself
discussing the problems.

Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
hoping to avoid that.

Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

Arthur T.

In Message-ID:<45c5601d$0$28162$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"jaygreg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
>the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
>hoping to avoid that.
>
>Am I being too cautious?

I installed, but then removed Picasa.

It's full-featured and very easy to use. However, it
continually looks for pictures on you computer and stores
information about them onto C:. Since C: is one of my few drives
that's *not* encrypted, I considered this a data leak. As near as
I could tell, there was no easy way to tell it to not collect the
data or to use a different drive/directory.

I've seen reference to a number of sites that allow you to
upload various kinds of data, some of which will be publicly
browsable, some which you'd need to know the exact URL. I haven't
needed one, so I don't know their names. Google is your friend.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
Looking for a z/OS (IBM mainframe) systems programmer position

Dee

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:25:05 -0500, "jaygreg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
>the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
>hoping to avoid that.
>
>Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
>web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

Try http://www.imagestation.com ??
Does your own ISP not provide you with free photo web space? Most
do......
Dee

kurt wismer

jaygreg wrote:
> I'm not a photo sharing computer user. Don't have a webpage nor any need for
> one. I've been aware that sites like MySpace and Flickr are popular for
> socializing and posting photos. Still... no personal utility.
>
> Today I just saw a potential use. From time to time, I use a digital camera
> to photgraph construction problems; renovations, repairs, and things needing
> fixed that get a tad expensive and involved. I've been printing these out
> and carrying then with me. It would be helpful to simply view them from
> machines owned by the merchants and vendors with whom I find myself
> discussing the problems.
>
> Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
> the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
> hoping to avoid that.
>
> Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
> web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

it is possible to use their photo sharing service without installing
anything... it's just not the path they're hoping you'll choose/leading
you down...

if it's too hard for you to find your way through to their web album
functionality then maybe flickr would be more appropriate since they
actually want you to use their web interface...

--
"it's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over

Cranky Dude

In article <45c5601d$0$28162$(E-Mail Removed)>, jaygreg90
@hotmail.com says...
> Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
> the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
> hoping to avoid that.
>
> Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
> web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

You don't need to install Picasa on your machine to use the online
service. You establish an account and then upload your photos. I
recently started doing just that and I have no intention of installing
their software on my computer. I chose Picasaweb because it is the only
one I've been able to find that will do full-screen display of photos
with no advertising around it.

CD

jaygreg

Hummm. Good point. I'd need full screen.

"Cranky Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <45c5601d$0$28162$(E-Mail Removed)>, jaygreg90
> @hotmail.com says...
>> Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came
>> the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
>> hoping to avoid that.
>>
>> Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
>> web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?
>>

> You don't need to install Picasa on your machine to use the online
> service. You establish an account and then upload your photos. I
> recently started doing just that and I have no intention of installing
> their software on my computer. I chose Picasaweb because it is the only
> one I've been able to find that will do full-screen display of photos
> with no advertising around it.
>
> CD

jaygreg

I think it does, Dee. I'll look into that. Thanks.

"Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:25:05 -0500, "jaygreg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came
>>the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
>>hoping to avoid that.
>>
>>Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
>>web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?
>>

> Try http://www.imagestation.com ??
> Does your own ISP not provide you with free photo web space? Most
> do......
> Dee

jaygreg

Thanks, Arthur T. I didn't think Google would venture somewhere that made
gurus unhappy but I wasn't sure.

"Arthur T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Message-ID:<45c5601d$0$28162$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "jaygreg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came
>>the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
>>hoping to avoid that.
>>
>>Am I being too cautious?

> I installed, but then removed Picasa.
>
> It's full-featured and very easy to use. However, it
> continually looks for pictures on you computer and stores
> information about them onto C:. Since C: is one of my few drives
> that's *not* encrypted, I considered this a data leak. As near as
> I could tell, there was no easy way to tell it to not collect the
> data or to use a different drive/directory.
>
> I've seen reference to a number of sites that allow you to
> upload various kinds of data, some of which will be publicly
> browsable, some which you'd need to know the exact URL. I haven't
> needed one, so I don't know their names. Google is your friend.
>
> --
> Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
> Looking for a z/OS (IBM mainframe) systems programmer position

jaygreg

I started looking at Flicker after I learned Picasa wanted to download. I'll
keep your comments in mind.

P.S. By the way, Kurt, with regard to your sig... the only thing worse than
goin' through life totally stoned... is goin' through life totally sober!

"kurt wismer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eq5urb$du$(E-Mail Removed)...
> jaygreg wrote:
>> I'm not a photo sharing computer user. Don't have a webpage nor any need
>> for one. I've been aware that sites like MySpace and Flickr are popular
>> for socializing and posting photos. Still... no personal utility.
>>
>> Today I just saw a potential use. From time to time, I use a digital
>> camera to photgraph construction problems; renovations, repairs, and
>> things needing fixed that get a tad expensive and involved. I've been
>> printing these out and carrying then with me. It would be helpful to
>> simply view them from machines owned by the merchants and vendors with
>> whom I find myself discussing the problems.
>>
>> Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came
>> to the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I
>> was hoping to avoid that.
>>
>> Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
>> web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

> it is possible to use their photo sharing service without installing
> anything... it's just not the path they're hoping you'll choose/leading
> you down...
>
> if it's too hard for you to find your way through to their web album
> functionality then maybe flickr would be more appropriate since they
> actually want you to use their web interface...
>
> --
> "it's not the right time to be sober
> now the idiots have taken over
> spreading like a social cancer,
> is there an answer?"

Arthur T.

In Message-ID:<45c774cd$0$24531$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"jaygreg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks, Arthur T. I didn't think Google would venture somewhere that made
>gurus unhappy but I wasn't sure.

You're welcome. (I'm not a guru; just someone who's
cautious.)

BTW, if you have Windows Indexing turned on, the same kind of
data leak occurs, but for text rather than pictures.