Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Norton Antivirus is a SCAM

Norton Antivirus is a SCAM

Virus Guy

"James T. White" wrote:

> The real SCAM is when you renew your annual NAV update license.

The scam's on you pal.

There's no need to pay Symantec to renew NAV if you use NAV version
2002. You just un-install then re-install the product to get another
year of updates.

AwPhuch

Virus Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> The scam's on you pal.
>
> There's no need to pay Symantec to renew NAV if you use NAV version
> 2002. You just un-install then re-install the product to get another
> year of updates.

How effective would a 5 year old antivirus solution be without engine
updates? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Symantec supports the
2K2 any longer with application updates- only with dats. I know the tech
support has ended for sure as per their support site.

--

Back to your bridge Troll! You have no powers here!

Virus Guy

AwPhuch wrote:

> > There's no need to pay Symantec to renew NAV if you use NAV
> > version 2002. You just un-install then re-install the product
> > to get another year of updates.

> How effective would a 5 year old antivirus solution be without
> engine updates?

Engine updates automatically accompany definition templates when
necessary. Find this thread:

*******************
Subject: Re: McAfee or Norton on New Notebook?
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 12:32:30 -0400
From: kurt wismer <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.virus

Virus Guy wrote:
[snip]
> NAVENG32.DLL AV Engine 20051.01.0000.0012
> navex32a.dll AV Engine 20051.01.0000.0012

ok, i'm now reasonably convinced nav2002 currently can be updated
to the latest engine...
*********************

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Symantec supports
> the 2K2 any longer with application updates- only with dats.
> I know the tech support has ended for sure as per their support
> site.

What Norton/Symantec says, and what the reality is, are two different
things.

A fully updated (Win-9 system running NAV 2002 will have these:

navex32a.dll 20071.1.1.10 AV Engine Jan 31, 2007
naveng32.dll 20071.1.1.10 AV engine Jan 31, 2007

Process Explorer confirms that those files are in use during a NAV
2002 scanning process.

AwPhuch

Virus Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Symantec supports
>> the 2K2 any longer with application updates- only with dats.
>> I know the tech support has ended for sure as per their support
>> site.

> What Norton/Symantec says, and what the reality is, are two different
> things.
>
> A fully updated (Win-9 system running NAV 2002 will have these:
>
> navex32a.dll 20071.1.1.10 AV Engine Jan 31, 2007
> naveng32.dll 20071.1.1.10 AV engine Jan 31, 2007
>
> Process Explorer confirms that those files are in use during a NAV
> 2002 scanning process.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I haven't dealt with Symantec for some
time, I thought I had read that after the 2K5 release that 2K2 would no
longer be supported for updates to the application itself. Memo to me....

Thanks!

--

Back to your bridge Troll! You have no powers here!