Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Identifying Apps By Port

Identifying Apps By Port

jaygreg

The dial-up ISP "bright.net" has an application that's supposed to speed up
internet searches; it's some sort of "accelerator" that gets downloaded to
the machine. I put it on my friend's machine after flattening and rebuilding
it but now I've run into a conflict; I get a notice that the accelorator
won't load because some other program is using the port it needs. So it
terminates. The ISP said it's probably due to the Avast anti-virus software
running on this WIN98SE system... but he can't give me any advice how to fix
it.

I suppose I need to start by identifying what's using the port it wants.
What's the best way to do that? I had an issue not long ago and ESET (NOD32)
told me to run "Hijackthis" and "Autoruns" then send them the reports. I
think those drew a picture of what's running where but then... I wouldn't be
able to make senseout of them anyway. Any advise on how to identfy then
solve this would be appreciated.

Sebastian Gottschalk

jaygreg wrote:

> I suppose I need to start by identifying what's using the port it wants.
> What's the best way to do that?

The 'netstat' command. Dude, get a clue about the basic tools of your
operating system!

BernieM

"jaygreg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4586f808$0$7641$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The dial-up ISP "bright.net" has an application that's supposed to speed
> up internet searches; it's some sort of "accelerator" that gets downloaded
> to the machine. I put it on my friend's machine after flattening and
> rebuilding it but now I've run into a conflict; I get a notice that the
> accelorator won't load because some other program is using the port it
> needs. So it terminates. The ISP said it's probably due to the Avast
> anti-virus software running on this WIN98SE system... but he can't give me
> any advice how to fix it.
>
> I suppose I need to start by identifying what's using the port it wants.
> What's the best way to do that? I had an issue not long ago and ESET
> (NOD32) told me to run "Hijackthis" and "Autoruns" then send them the
> reports. I think those drew a picture of what's running where but then...
> I wouldn't be able to make senseout of them anyway. Any advise on how to
> identfy then solve this would be appreciated.

ditto what Fk said plus do some research before you install something on
your own pc let alone someone else's.

jaygreg

Whaddaya think I'm doin' here... Dude. I'm gettin' what I need to fine tune
the machine of a friend who knows nothing more than to turn it on and get
his mail.

Can you read the diagnostic codes of your car? Do you even know where to
plug in the meter? Then why would you expect an ordinary user to know how to
find a conflict with the operating system of a machine more complicated than
an automobile?

Thanks for the tip. I'll read about netstat. And rest assured, with that
lead and any others I need... I'll fix the machine.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

cyberwar44@gmail.com