Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Winzip and encryption on XP

Winzip and encryption on XP

Andy

Is native Windows XP able to unzip archive files which I have created
using WINZIP and encrypted using the relatively weak "Standard Zip 2.0
encryption" option.

If not then does native Windows XP have any capability for Winzip files?

Anando [MS-MVP]

Andy,

Windows XP can natively create ZIP archives as well as extract files from a
ZIP archive created by any other zip utility like WinZip or WinRAR.

--
Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://www.anando.org/folder

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Is native Windows XP able to unzip archive files which I have created
> using WINZIP and encrypted using the relatively weak "Standard Zip 2.0
> encryption" option.
>
> If not then does native Windows XP have any capability for Winzip files?

Ze Muffinman

As the above said, it's able to do any .zip file, but not .rar, .7z, or
any other program-specific file end.
Andy wrote:
> Is native Windows XP able to unzip archive files which I have created
> using WINZIP and encrypted using the relatively weak "Standard Zip 2.0
> encryption" option.
>
> If not then does native Windows XP have any capability for Winzip files?

Juergen Nieveler

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Windows XP can natively create ZIP archives as well as extract files
> from a ZIP archive created by any other zip utility like WinZip or
> WinRAR.

Only for older versions of the utilities. Current versions of Winzip
and PKZIP can create files that cannot be read by any other ZIP
utility...

Juergen Nieveler
--
And on the eighth day God said, "OK Murphy, you take over."

Alfred D Testonosun

Andy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Xns987010773463574C1H4@127.0.0.1:

> Is native Windows XP able to unzip archive files which I have created
> using WINZIP and encrypted using the relatively weak "Standard Zip 2.0
> encryption" option.
>
> If not then does native Windows XP have any capability for Winzip files?

It cannot open WinZIP's encryption available since ver. 9.0