Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > MS WORD launches slowly due to IE local security setting

MS WORD launches slowly due to IE local security setting

Sebastian Gottschalk

MC wrote:

> I also suggest strongly that you get a firewall installed, and in it,
> block MSIE from accessing the Internet

Firewalls can't filter by applications.

> (and through it, programs that use it as a backdoor out to bypass firewalls)

Thanks for cluttering my list of most stupid ideas.

> and install a different browser for your surfing needs.

Huh? You always need a webbrowser to surf, and as Windows doesn't include
any, you always have to install one.

Leythos

> Huh? You always need a webbrowser to surf, and as Windows doesn't include
> any, you always have to install one.

Windows includes IE by default, it's already installed.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

> MC wrote:
>
>> I also suggest strongly that you get a firewall installed, and in it,
>> block MSIE from accessing the Internet

> Firewalls can't filter by applications.

Huh? My Windows personal software firewall asks me every time I start
Internet Explorer whether or not I want to give it access to the web.
It's Kerio, if you need to know. (IE is not my default browser, and I
only use it to test web pages.)

>> (and through it, programs that use it as a backdoor out to bypass
>> firewalls)

> Thanks for cluttering my list of most stupid ideas.
>
>> and install a different browser for your surfing needs.

> Huh? You always need a webbrowser to surf, and as Windows doesn't
> include any, you always have to install one.

Every Windows version since .. um .. W98? has had IE embedded in it.
Where are you buying *your* Windows?

--
-bts

Sebastian Gottschalk

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
>
>> MC wrote:
>>
>>> I also suggest strongly that you get a firewall installed, and in it,
>>> block MSIE from accessing the Internet

>> Firewalls can't filter by applications.

> Huh? My Windows personal software firewall asks me every time I start
> Internet Explorer whether or not I want to give it access to the web.
> It's Kerio, if you need to know. (IE is not my default browser, and I
> only use it to test web pages.)

That's not a firewall, that's a host-based packet filter. And a pretty
lousy one. And the application control is, of course, useless against
malicious software. You're just wasting your time with explicitly allowing
stuff that is legitimate anyway.

>> Huh? You always need a webbrowser to surf, and as Windows doesn't
>> include any, you always have to install one.

> Every Windows version since .. um .. W98? has had IE embedded in it.
> Where are you buying *your* Windows?

IE is no webbrowser. Read the documentation!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

>>> Firewalls can't filter by applications.

>> Huh? My Windows personal software firewall asks me every time I start
>> Internet Explorer whether or not I want to give it access to the web.
>> It's Kerio, if you need to know. (IE is not my default browser, and I
>> only use it to test web pages.)

> That's not a firewall, that's a host-based packet filter. And a pretty
> lousy one.

I don't worry about that; there is a router in front of it. However, it
does do the job I require of it.

> And the application control is, of course, useless against
> malicious software.

Yeah, I know all the stories.

> You're just wasting your time with explicitly allowing
> stuff that is legitimate anyway.

...and when said legitimate stuff can be fired off by illegitimate stuff?

>>> Huh? You always need a webbrowser to surf, and as Windows doesn't
>>> include any, you always have to install one.

>> Every Windows version since .. um .. W98? has had IE embedded in it.
>> Where are you buying *your* Windows?

> IE is no webbrowser. Read the documentation!

Ok, it's an operating system component. There is no point in arguing
semantics.

--
-bts

Sebastian Gottschalk

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Huh? My Windows personal software firewall asks me every time I start
>>> Internet Explorer whether or not I want to give it access to the web.
>>> It's Kerio, if you need to know. (IE is not my default browser, and I
>>> only use it to test web pages.)

>> That's not a firewall, that's a host-based packet filter. And a pretty
>> lousy one.

> I don't worry about that; there is a router in front of it.

A router isn't a firewall either.

> However, it does do the job I require of it.

I doubt that it achieves the impossible.

>> You're just wasting your time with explicitly allowing
>> stuff that is legitimate anyway.

> ..and when said legitimate stuff can be fired off by illegitimate stuff?

Who'd be that stupid?

>> IE is no webbrowser. Read the documentation!

> Ok, it's an operating system component. There is no point in arguing
> semantics.

Well, you did that. After all, MSIE lacks various necessary properties for
a webbrowser, f.e. security or proper HTML rendering.

Peter Davis

On 03 Nov 2006, Sebastian Gottschalk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MC wrote:
>
>> I also suggest strongly that you get a firewall installed, and in
>> it, block MSIE from accessing the Internet

> Firewalls can't filter by applications.

Does Sygate qualify?

You can specify applications in Sygate.

Sebastian Gottschalk

Peter Davis wrote:

> On 03 Nov 2006, Sebastian Gottschalk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> MC wrote:
>>
>>> I also suggest strongly that you get a firewall installed, and in
>>> it, block MSIE from accessing the Internet

>> Firewalls can't filter by applications.

> Does Sygate qualify?

No.

> You can specify applications in Sygate.

So what? Doesn't have any usage, beside impressing the user about claimed
functionality.

MC

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
>> I also suggest strongly that you get a firewall installed, and in it,
>> block MSIE from accessing the Internet

> Firewalls can't filter by applications.

Well, sorry, but they can, and have been able to for quite a number of
years. If you have one that can't I suggest you look for a different
(software) firewall.

>> (and through it, programs that use it as a backdoor out to bypass firewalls)

> Thanks for cluttering my list of most stupid ideas.

May I remind you that this is an open newsgroup and not "your" list?
Thank you.

>> and install a different browser for your surfing needs.

> Huh? You always need a webbrowser to surf, and as Windows doesn't include
> any, you always have to install one.

Windows has included a browser as part of their installation for a very,
very long time. Usually called "iexplore". Try it

MC

MC

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
>>> You're just wasting your time with explicitly allowing
>>> stuff that is legitimate anyway.

>> ..and when said legitimate stuff can be fired off by illegitimate stuff?

> Who'd be that stupid?

I beg to differ. What is easier than for a malicious piece of software
than to launch a hidden Internet Explorer window or use the HTTP
back-end to download and install whatever it wants from anywhere? Even
someone that knows little about programming can do that easily with a
few commands.
It's something that is done a -lot- to bypass semi-secure systems, it's
not stupid, it's smart. Most people allow MSIE to indiscriminantly
connect to the Internet, even the ones with a firewall (packet filter,
whatever you call it) and since it's a part of any standard Windows
installation, it's something that will always be there and available to use.

And a firewall as you define it wouldn't stop any program from directly
accessing the Internet unless you block the port(s) used. Block 80, you
can't surf anymore

> Well, you did that. After all, MSIE lacks various necessary properties for
> a webbrowser, f.e. security or proper HTML rendering.

I see. Well, in that case you are talking about the quality of a
product, not its basic functionality or intended use. Whether it does a
good job or has a proper implementation is irrelevant to what type of
software it is. So please don't accuse anyone of using certain terms
that may be wrong in the strictest sense. If you get the point across
that is what matters, not the exact language used. See my other post,
MSIE defines itself as a web browser, therefore it is a web browser.

MC