Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Google Powered Search Engine for Security/eSecurity Community

Google Powered Search Engine for Security/eSecurity Community

Saqib Ali

I am building a Search Engine exclusively for the Security and
eSecurity Community using Google's Coop program.

I would like to NOT include any vendor sites, but just index sites that
are vendor neutral. Would this is be a good strategy or not?

The URL for the search engine is
http://www.xml-dev.com

Here are my current guidelines for site inclusion

1) I will NOT include any vendor site (e.g. Cisco, Microsoft, Bluecoat
etc)
2) I will check the Netcraft ranking for each suggested URL that I
receive. The site has to rank in <50K to be included in the index.
(e.g.
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...urityfocus.com)
3) I will also make sure that the site doesn't excessive amount of Ads.
For e.g. I will not include
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/index.shtml

As far the inclusion of vendor sites in concerned, I think if one is
searching for some specific information (e.g. install guide) for a
particular product they should probably go to the vendor website or
google it.

However if you researching about a technology, lets says IDS, you
really don't need to see the vendor sites. They will, off course, say
that their product is the best in the world. For e.g. search for "Full
Disk Encryption" on Google, and you will see that DriveCrypt and
WinMagic show up in the first 3 results. And they both claim to be
"best in the world" And I have tried both, and they are not the best
(to say the least)! Instead I would like to see what other sites
are saying about these products or "full disk encryption" in general

Note: I am looking for few other people to help me filtering out the
website, and updating the index. Please let me know if anyone is
interested. As always please keep sending your favorite URLs.
I have tons of URLs in my email box, and I will catch up with them (and
reply to the sender) over the weekend

NeoPhyte_Rep

Saqib Ali wrote:
> I am building a Search Engine exclusively for the Security and
> eSecurity Community using Google's Coop program.
>
> I would like to NOT include any vendor sites, but just index sites that
> are vendor neutral. Would this is be a good strategy or not?
>
> The URL for the search engine is
> http://www.xml-dev.com
>
> Here are my current guidelines for site inclusion
>
> 1) I will NOT include any vendor site (e.g. Cisco, Microsoft, Bluecoat
> etc)
> 2) I will check the Netcraft ranking for each suggested URL that I
> receive. The site has to rank in <50K to be included in the index.
> (e.g.
> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...urityfocus.com)
> 3) I will also make sure that the site doesn't excessive amount of Ads.
> For e.g. I will not include
> http://www.securitynewsportal.com/index.shtml
>
> As far the inclusion of vendor sites in concerned, I think if one is
> searching for some specific information (e.g. install guide) for a
> particular product they should probably go to the vendor website or
> google it.
>
> However if you researching about a technology, lets says IDS, you
> really don't need to see the vendor sites. They will, off course, say
> that their product is the best in the world. For e.g. search for "Full
> Disk Encryption" on Google, and you will see that DriveCrypt and
> WinMagic show up in the first 3 results. And they both claim to be
> "best in the world" And I have tried both, and they are not the best
> (to say the least)! Instead I would like to see what other sites
> are saying about these products or "full disk encryption" in general
>
> Note: I am looking for few other people to help me filtering out the
> website, and updating the index. Please let me know if anyone is
> interested. As always please keep sending your favorite URLs.
> I have tons of URLs in my email box, and I will catch up with them (and
> reply to the sender) over the weekend

Perhaps you could add
<title>Security Search Engine</title>
or something more informative to your web page's header section?