Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

#2 Aluxe

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:49:11 -0800, Dana wrote:
> I may be wrong here, but I believe the NNTP posting host will be a news
> server from the ISP. So depending on how many news servers they have for
> where you connect, this address may not change that often if you post from
> the same location.

Hi Dana,

I very much appreciate your helpful tone. And technical sense.

We're peeling the onion here and I, for one, am learning a lot. I hope you
are too.

For example, I may be wrong, but, from my experience, no matter which of
the dozens of news servers available to me by my ISP that I choose, the
NNTP posting host seems to ALWAYS be my router's IP address!

For example, as I proved a moment ago, if I use a web browser to connect to
my router and if I go to the "Status" "Router" "IP Address" screen, I see
my current router's IP address is "69.110.8.45". That is what shows up as
my NNTP Posting Host! Notice my actual NNTP server is NOT what shows up as
my NNTP posting host.

To prove that, I just switched from one to another of the dozens of NNTP
news servers my ISP provides me. Guess what? I'll betcha my NNTP posting
host is still the same as the current IP address of my router
(69.110.8.45).

Is 69.110.8.45 still my NNTP posting host in my header above?

Dana

"#2 Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:129qq9jhp7aur.wav15g7ismuc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:49:11 -0800, Dana wrote:
> > I may be wrong here, but I believe the NNTP posting host will be a news
> > server from the ISP. So depending on how many news servers they have for
> > where you connect, this address may not change that often if you post

from
> > the same location.

> Hi Dana,
>
> I very much appreciate your helpful tone. And technical sense.
>
> We're peeling the onion here and I, for one, am learning a lot. I hope you
> are too.
>
> For example, I may be wrong, but, from my experience, no matter which of
> the dozens of news servers available to me by my ISP that I choose, the
> NNTP posting host seems to ALWAYS be my router's IP address!
>
> For example, as I proved a moment ago, if I use a web browser to connect

> my router and if I go to the "Status" "Router" "IP Address" screen, I see
> my current router's IP address is "69.110.8.45". That is what shows up as
> my NNTP Posting Host! Notice my actual NNTP server is NOT what shows up as
> my NNTP posting host.
>
> To prove that, I just switched from one to another of the dozens of NNTP
> news servers my ISP provides me. Guess what? I'll betcha my NNTP posting
> host is still the same as the current IP address of my router
> (69.110.8.45).
>
> Is 69.110.8.45 still my NNTP posting host in my header above?

I looked it up. it is indeed the address of the posting client.

Duane Arnold

"#2 Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:129qq9jhp7aur.wav15g7ismuc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:49:11 -0800, Dana wrote:
>> I may be wrong here, but I believe the NNTP posting host will be a news
>> server from the ISP. So depending on how many news servers they have for
>> where you connect, this address may not change that often if you post
>> from
>> the same location.

> Hi Dana,
>
> I very much appreciate your helpful tone. And technical sense.
>
> We're peeling the onion here and I, for one, am learning a lot. I hope you
> are too.
>
> For example, I may be wrong, but, from my experience, no matter which of
> the dozens of news servers available to me by my ISP that I choose, the
> NNTP posting host seems to ALWAYS be my router's IP address!

The router doesn't get the IP it's the modem that gets the IP. The router is
connected to the modem and uses the public IP/Internet facing IP that has
been assigned to the modem by the ISP.

> For example, as I proved a moment ago, if I use a web browser to connect
> my router and if I go to the "Status" "Router" "IP Address" screen, I see
> my current router's IP address is "69.110.8.45". That is what shows up as
> my NNTP Posting Host! Notice my actual NNTP server is NOT what shows up as
> my NNTP posting host.
>
> To prove that, I just switched from one to another of the dozens of NNTP
> news servers my ISP provides me. Guess what? I'll betcha my NNTP posting
> host is still the same as the current IP address of my router
> (69.110.8.45).

The "posting host - you're the one that's making the post back to the
server". It is one of your machines that has the client NG reader running on
it that's using the public facing IP that has been assigned to your modem to
make the post. You can switch all you want to different NNTP servers. There
is only one IP that's being used by your router that has been provided to
your modem by your ISP that's allowing communications with the ISP's network
for a machine that has a direct connection of a machine to the modem or a
router connected to the modem with machines connected to the router, with,
all the machines connected to your router using that one public facing IP
assigned by the ISP to your modem.
..

> Is 69.110.8.45 still my NNTP posting host in my header above?

Again, it's your public facing IP assigned to your modem that's used by your
router and your machines using the router are connected to the router, that
is the posting host IP back to the ISP's network.

If you don't know how that NAT router is working, then here is some info.

Duane .

#2 Aluxe

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:09:53 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:
> It's your public facing IP assigned to your modem that's used by your
> router and your machines using the router are connected to the router,
> that is the posting host IP back to the ISP's network.

Hi Duane,
Oh my. You are great! Instead of getting emotional and working around the
question, you not only helped me better understand the question, you also
helped me better understand what is really going on.

I see now that it is not the "router's" IP address in my NNTP POsting Host,
but, the MODEM's IP address!

Thanks... I'll try to say it correctly in all future posts.

I think we have only three questions to agree or disagree on:
1. Does the MAC have a bit which indicates it has been changed?
2. Is changing a MAC before public hotspot access additive to privacy?
3. Is removing the modem's IP address from posts additive to privacy?

Duane Arnold

"#2 Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1shpnxj3ehtog$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:09:53 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:
>> It's your public facing IP assigned to your modem that's used by your
>> router and your machines using the router are connected to the router,
>> that is the posting host IP back to the ISP's network.

> Hi Duane,
> Oh my. You are great! Instead of getting emotional and working around the
> question, you not only helped me better understand the question, you also
> helped me better understand what is really going on.
>
> I see now that it is not the "router's" IP address in my NNTP POsting
> Host,
> but, the MODEM's IP address!
>
> Thanks... I'll try to say it correctly in all future posts.
>
> I think we have only three questions to agree or disagree on:
> 1. Does the MAC have a bit which indicates it has been changed?

A MAC is a uniuqe ID that's given to a piece of equipment, such a router,
modem, NIC, etc, that communicates on a netwrk. You can tell by the MAC as
to what manufacturer made the equipment. The MAC is an identifier. There is
no bit that I know about thatcan tell you if a MAC has been changed. There
is software that will allow you to change the MAC, like on a NIC.

> 2. Is changing a MAC before public hotspot access additive to privacy?

The MAC means nothing in this situation for some kind of security, that I
know about..

> 3. Is removing the modem's IP address from posts additive to privacy?

Some say yes and some say no. I say no. If someone is coming at your IP that
the router is blocking, then call the ISP and tell them you want a new IP.

Like I said before, you are no potatoes, they are after the big fish, like a
company.

It's past my bedtime here in the US. I got to hit the sack and get some
sleep.

Duane

Dana

"Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in message
news:rhFZg.13214$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> "#2 Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1shpnxj3ehtog$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:09:53 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:
> >> It's your public facing IP assigned to your modem that's used by your
> >> router and your machines using the router are connected to the router,
> >> that is the posting host IP back to the ISP's network.

> > Hi Duane,
> > Oh my. You are great! Instead of getting emotional and working around

the
> > question, you not only helped me better understand the question, you

also
> > helped me better understand what is really going on.
> >
> > I see now that it is not the "router's" IP address in my NNTP POsting
> > Host,
> > but, the MODEM's IP address!
> >
> > Thanks... I'll try to say it correctly in all future posts.
> >
> > I think we have only three questions to agree or disagree on:
> > 1. Does the MAC have a bit which indicates it has been changed?

> A MAC is a uniuqe ID that's given to a piece of equipment, such a router,
> modem, NIC, etc, that communicates on a netwrk. You can tell by the MAC as
> to what manufacturer made the equipment. The MAC is an identifier. There

is
> no bit that I know about thatcan tell you if a MAC has been changed. There
> is software that will allow you to change the MAC, like on a NIC.

Someone else mentioned that a bit is set if the mac was changed.
I think that person meant the global/local bit it the layer two header.

#2 Aluxe

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:53:11 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:
>> 3. Is removing the modem's IP address from posts additive to privacy?

> Some say yes and some say no. I say no. If someone is coming at your IP that
> the router is blocking, then call the ISP and tell them you want a new IP.

Hi Duane,
I do appreciate your help ... but your constant sticking to this errant
theme is a bit frustrating to me as it wastes all our bandwidth
unnecessarily ... (sorry for having to be blunt) ...

I shall repeat (again):
- The questions are NOT about anyone coming at the IP.
- I KNOW full well that I can be attacked (that's why I have a firewall).
- I am NOT asking about hiding behind a firewall (which I am).

All I was asking was for an easier way to change my modem's IP address.
I'm testing one suggestion as we speak.
- Aim the browser at the router's IP address
- Log in as the administrator of the router
- Go to "Setup" "Basic Setup"
- Switch the default from "Keep Alive: Redial Period = 30 sec"
- Switch the default to "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time = 1 min"

I'm not sure the implications of this setting so that's why I'm testing it
out.

If you know ... that would be wonderful if you'd expound on that.

Duane Arnold

"#2 Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:13oog2pvehcks$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:53:11 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:
>>> 3. Is removing the modem's IP address from posts additive to privacy?

>> Some say yes and some say no. I say no. If someone is coming at your IP
>> that
>> the router is blocking, then call the ISP and tell them you want a new
>> IP.

> Hi Duane,
> I do appreciate your help ... but your constant sticking to this errant
> theme is a bit frustrating to me as it wastes all our bandwidth
> unnecessarily ... (sorry for having to be blunt) ...
>
> I shall repeat (again):
> - The questions are NOT about anyone coming at the IP.
> - I KNOW full well that I can be attacked (that's why I have a firewall).
> - I am NOT asking about hiding behind a firewall (which I am).
>
> All I was asking was for an easier way to change my modem's IP address.
> I'm testing one suggestion as we speak.
> - Aim the browser at the router's IP address
> - Log in as the administrator of the router
> - Go to "Setup" "Basic Setup"
> - Switch the default from "Keep Alive: Redial Period = 30 sec"
> - Switch the default to "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time = 1 min"

And I am going to be blunt here too. Why are you still HARPING about
changing the IP from the ISP, as your HEAD is TEN BRICKS HARD?

It serves you absolutely no purpose, NONE. I have ran my network for years
with the same IP from the ISP, with no problems, other than, I didn't pay
the bill one time and it was cutoff, because of that, I got a new IP. That
new IP gave my FW appliance some connection issues with the machines behind
it. I called the ISP and got a new IP from them, and I have ran for YEARS
with that same IP too, no paranoia here about ANYTHING.

> I'm not sure the implications of this setting so that's why I'm testing it
> out.

You can report back as to how it worked out for you.

> If you know ... that would be wonderful if you'd expound on that.

I don't know, as I would never be bothered with something like that.

However, if it works for you, then you can feel warm and fuzzy about it.

Duane