Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Warren Oates

In article <15o0jkiohjbpj$(E-Mail Removed)>,
#2 Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But, that doesnt' mesh with what I see by looking at other people's posts.
> For example, posts from "Dana" or "Mark McIntyre" don't even seem to have
> an NNTP Posting Host line. And those from "Warren Oates" have the news
> server as the NNTP posting host:

Look, that header is used by news providers to help prevent abuse.
Astraweb file my originating IP address away in a database in case
anyone complains about me, or they get a court order to give up my ide
or like that. Then they just put the database reference in the header. I
pay Astraweb for that little bit of privacy. Astraweb is _real_ cheap
too, if you don't download binaries ever.
--
W. Oates
Teal'c: He is concealing something.

Warren Oates

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
#2 Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I will download and install Forte Agent to see if it's the newsreader or
> the ISP who is forcing my NNTP Posting Host to be the same unique IP
> address as my router.

IT'S THE NNTP PROVIDER
IT'S THE NNTP PROVIDER
(which may or may not be your ISP).

#2 Aluxe

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:26:48 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> #2 Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I will download and install Forte Agent to see if it's the newsreader or
>> the ISP who is forcing my NNTP Posting Host to be the same unique IP
>> address as my router.

> IT'S THE NNTP PROVIDER
> IT'S THE NNTP PROVIDER
> (which may or may not be your ISP).

Hi Warren Oates,
What are you trying to say?

Are you saying that every single person who used the same ISP as I do will
have a DIFFERENT nntp posting host because the ISP is using the IP
addressed assigned to the subscriber as the nntp posting host?

If you're not saying that, then what you say doesn't jive with the actual
results (notice my nntp posting host is again changed as I change my IP
address daily and my nntp posting host follows suit).

Warren Oates

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
#2 Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are you saying that every single person who used the same ISP as I do will
> have a DIFFERENT nntp posting host because the ISP is using the IP
> addressed assigned to the subscriber as the nntp posting host?

Yes.

Also, I checked my router's settings, and yes, one can set one's router
to "On Demand" connection (mine's a Dlink) _IF_ one's using PPPoE to
connect to one's ISP, but not with DHCP; I'm not sure which you're
using.

Umm. Router's talk about WAN and LAN. The WAN is your connection via
your ISP to the Internet (to the router); the LAN is everything
connected to the router in your house. Your router gives out DHCP
addresses, your ISP may or may not. Mine doesn't, it's PPPoE.

Anyway, look into your router's settings. It won't guarantee a change of
IP address every time you wake your service up (that's my way of saying
it, it's not "jargon"), but it will increase your chances of getting a
different one. I don't think there's any way to guarantee that you won't
ever get the same IP address - there was a court case that revolved
around this in Canada.

#2 Aluxe

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:33:02 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:
> Also, I checked my router's settings, and yes, one can set one's router
> to "On Demand" connection (mine's a Dlink) _IF_ one's using PPPoE to
> connect to one's ISP, but not with DHCP; I'm not sure which you're
> using.

Hi Warren Oates,
Thank you for the response to the question.

Yes, I am using PPPoE and DHCP on DSL with a Linksys router and a DSL modem
(if that helps narrow down the conversation).

I have set my on-demand max-idle-time setting to 5 minutes.

Are you saying that because I am both PPPoE and DHCP, that this setting
won't actually work?

Warren Oates

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
#2 Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are you saying that because I am both PPPoE and DHCP, that this setting
> won't actually work?

No. My guess is that your router's connected to your ISP via PPPoE, and
that you're getting addresses from your router via DHCP. Does the router
show an "on demand" setting?
--
W. Oates
"I thought I was the last son of Krypton, but you people keep popping up."

#2 Aluxe

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:40:39 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:
>> Are you saying that because I am both PPPoE and DHCP, that this setting
>> won't actually work?

> No. My guess is that your router's connected to your ISP via PPPoE, and
> that you're getting addresses from your router via DHCP. Does the router
> show an "on demand" setting?

Hi Warren Oates,
Thanks again for asking the right questions.

Are you asking about the IP address that the COMPUTER has? I'm not. I'm
talking only about the one unique address (on the Internet) that my ISP has
assigned to my account at that time.

There is some debate here whether it's the router or the dsl modem that is
getting assigned the address via DHCP ... but let me answer your questions:

QUESTION: Is your router connected to your ISP by PPPoE?
ANSWER: yes.

QUESTION: Are you getting addresses from your ISP via DHCP?
ANSWER: yes

QUESTION: Does the linksys router show an "on demand" setting?
ANSWER: I have set my on-demand max-idle-time setting to 5 minutes as per
kingthorin's helpful suggestions.

Thank you for helping us out. Hopefully these latest settings will cause
the ISP to give up my IP address when the computers are idle for a few
hours and then hopefully (this is the clincher) the PPPoE connection will
be AUTOMATICALLY established to the ISP (without having to reboot the
router) so that a new IP address is obtained automatically.