Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

kingthorin@gmail.com

Aluxe wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2006 05:08:38 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> - If I constantly use the computer, this IP assignment is maintained
> >> - If I don't use the computer during the day, this IP assignment is
> >> maintained

> > So even after your max idle timeout time has been exceeded if you
> > connect to the router it still shows as connected to your ISP?
> >
> > Are you 100% sure your computer(s) aren't generating any traffic?

> Hi kingthorin,
> I love when I see your responses because they are all germane to the
> question at hand! Thank you for keeping on topic.
>
> I have no idea whether my WinXP SP2 OS or its applications are generating
> any traffic during the day when I am not using it. I turned off all the
> things I "think" are generating traffic and I have a software firewall
> which was long ago set up to prevent outside access from programs such as
> real player, adobe acrobat, etc. which constantly "phone home".
>
> But, is there an easy test to PROVE that no traffic has been generated for
> the past, say, fifteen minutes?

If you goto a command prompt and do a:
netstat -ao
-a for all and o for process IDs, you can see if there are any active
connections, unfortunately this is only a point in time test....if
something is doing small bursts of traffic you may miss it, however
it's a good place to start. Once you have the list you can open task
manager and match the process IDs from netstat to any
applications/services that are running.

It'll look something like this:
C:\>netstat -ao

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
PID
TCP WL-5200:135 WL-5200.domain.com:0 LISTENING
1060

TCP WL-5200:445 WL-5200.domain.com:0 LISTENING 4
TCP WL-5200:4249 by2msg1204313.phx.gbl:1863 ESTABLISHED
4080

TCP WL-5200:4255 base01.secway.fr:80 CLOSE_WAIT
4080
TCP WL-5200:1863 WL-5200.domain.com:0 LISTENING
4080

TCP WL-5200:4248 localhost:11863 ESTABLISHED
2996
TCP WL-5200:4257 localhost:4258 ESTABLISHED
2364
TCP WL-5200:4258 localhost:4257 ESTABLISHED
2364

WL-5200 is my laptop name so there's some MS service connections from
my machine to my machine (no surprise....remember localhost is also
your machine). We also see that process ID 4080 has a connection to
base01.secway.fr on port 80 (when I check task manager 4080 is my
SimpLite application). Anyway basically you want to be sure that there
are no external domain names or IP addresses in the list. (Connections
from your machine to your machine are fine).

kingthorin@gmail.com

I don't want to "beat a dead horse" but I'm still curious if you ever
got this working properly/to your liking.