Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Aluxe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:57:03 GMT, John Navas wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:19:39 GMT, Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in <16evhz1yifcwd$.ijb6z8uuf2h2$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>> Dial-up.

>>I do use dial-up on occasion. Netzero can be used when you need to send
>>those private message you don't want anyone to trace. But dialup is
>>painfully slow compared to dsl.
>>
>>Isn't there a software way to give up an IP address overnight and then ask
>>for a new one in the morning without having to unplug everything?

> No. Your only real option is to use an "anonymizer" service, but that's
> slow, painful, and/or not free.
>
> I'd personally worry much more about tracking cookies than about IP,
> which is way down the list of real concerns.

Thank you John Naves for the advice.
I do already use software that cleans up my cookies, removes and prevents
adware and spyware.

At this point, I just want to reduce the number of things I have to give
you when I post, e.g., you can tell my location from my IP adddress, for
example. And my ISP. And my MAC. And my newsreader. And my operating
system. And other things that I don't even know.

Warren Oates

In article <oyhvm878xi7x.1k4n1dizyyltj$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> At this point, I just want to reduce the number of things I have to give
> you when I post, e.g., you can tell my location from my IP adddress, for
> example. And my ISP. And my MAC. And my newsreader. And my operating
> system. And other things that I don't even know.

No, we don't get your MAC address.

You can edit the headers in most newsreaders to change your
Organization, User-Agent, and some others; I don't know about 40tude
(silly bloody name). Do you really think my Newsreader is what I say it
is?

We only know your OS because you're using a Winders newsreader. Your
NNTP provider is adding your NNTP-Posting-Host; think about finding one
that's more discreet. We can't tell _exactly_ where you are from your IP
anyway.

I'm using a throwaway name. Mail to that address disappears into a black
hole, and I'm not going to tell you my IP (dynamic like yours) or my ISP
(not the same as my news provider), or where I live or my MAC's maiden
name. But I don't really care either. You're worrying too much.
--
W. Oates
Teal'c: He is concealing something.

Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:09:15 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Aluxe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>At this point, I just want to reduce the number of things I have to give
>you when I post, e.g., you can tell my location from my IP adddress, for
>example. And my ISP. And my MAC. And my newsreader. And my operating
>system. And other things that I don't even know.

FCOL this is pointless stuff to worry about.

If you phone someone up, they know which town you're in, and your IP
will do no better for them. You can tell from mine I'm in Oxford. But
where? There's 100,000 people here. And who cares about your ISP or
newsreader?

And nobody can tell your MAC by the way. Except your ISP, who needs to
know.
--
Mark McIntyre

Aluxe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:30:31 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:
>> At this point, I just want to reduce the number of things I have to give
>> you when I post, e.g., you can tell my location from my IP adddress, for
>> example. And my ISP. And my MAC. And my newsreader. And my operating
>> system. And other things that I don't even know.

> No, we don't get your MAC address.

Hi Warren Oates,

I guess I was wrong.

I was told by a friend that even when I use NetZero, they can track all my
communications by my MAC address. Is that true?

If so, changing the MAC address would add a level of privacy (just like
closing the bathroom door adds a level of privacy).

It's not that we expect everyone to duck their head under the IP packet to
look at us, but, we still close the door so as to have a modicum of
privacy.

Aluxe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:33:03 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote:
> If you phone someone up, they know which town you're in,

Hi Mark,

I agree if you phone someone they can get your telephone number and do a
reverse lookup on the Internet to find not only where they live, but the
price of their house and that of their neighbors (I've done it at times
myself to see who called me).

However, you don't phone ten thousand people at a time (which is what we
are doing here on the Internet).

Having one person be able to identify you vs having ten thousand be able to
identify you lets in a lot of kooks, don't you think?

Dana

"Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1m2g2nhwk5ckw$.8qr6ipjz2j4g$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:30:31 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:
> >> At this point, I just want to reduce the number of things I have to

give
> >> you when I post, e.g., you can tell my location from my IP adddress,

for
> >> example. And my ISP. And my MAC. And my newsreader. And my operating
> >> system. And other things that I don't even know.

> > No, we don't get your MAC address.

> Hi Warren Oates,
>
> I guess I was wrong.
>
> I was told by a friend that even when I use NetZero, they can track all my
> communications by my MAC address. Is that true?

Yes if that is your ISP. and if you change your computers mac address, they
can track that as well.
And unless there is somekind of court order, ISP's do not track or give out
the surfing patterns of their users.

> If so, changing the MAC address would add a level of privacy (just like
> closing the bathroom door adds a level of privacy).

Not really, because the ISP still knows, and if required can be told to give
out that information.

> It's not that we expect everyone to duck their head under the IP packet to
> look at us, but, we still close the door so as to have a modicum of
> privacy.

Aluxe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:11:41 -0800, Dana wrote:
>> If so, changing the MAC address would add a level of privacy (just like
>> closing the bathroom door adds a level of privacy).

> Not really, because the ISP still knows, and if required can be told to give
> out that information.

Hi Dana,
I must say, I both appreciate your help and I don't understand your
answers.

May I ask again?

TEST: Assume this scenario:
- I change my MAC address to 00-00-00-00-00-00
- I dial into NetZero from a blocked telephone line
- I send a personal note to an old friend that I don't want easily tracked
back to me
- I disconnect from NetZero
- I change my MAC address back to 00-24-43-55-F4-F8

QUESTION:
Did changing the MAC address make it a wee bit harder for the big bad
brother authorities to identify me should they so desire?

This should be a YES or NO kind of answer.
I assume YES based on the fact that nothing in the IP packet header was
true. But, you seem to be saying my original MAC address (which can be
tracked back not only to the manufacturer of the PC but to the owner based
on store records) is also appended to the packet.

Are you saying BOTH the original and the bogus MAC address are appended to
the packets?

Dana

"Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1p84s1mfmy7i6$.1t0zyeu0thojv$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:11:41 -0800, Dana wrote:
> >> If so, changing the MAC address would add a level of privacy (just like
> >> closing the bathroom door adds a level of privacy).

> > Not really, because the ISP still knows, and if required can be told to

give
> > out that information.

> Hi Dana,
> I must say, I both appreciate your help and I don't understand your
> answers.
>
> May I ask again?
>
> TEST: Assume this scenario:
> - I change my MAC address to 00-00-00-00-00-00
> - I dial into NetZero from a blocked telephone line
> - I send a personal note to an old friend that I don't want easily tracked
> back to me
> - I disconnect from NetZero
> - I change my MAC address back to 00-24-43-55-F4-F8

And your friend has the mac address you changed via a court order.
As the changed mac address still is associated with your account with net
zero.
It would be no different if you used a different computer to log into your
netzero account.

> QUESTION:
> Did changing the MAC address make it a wee bit harder for the big bad
> brother authorities to identify me should they so desire?

No, because it is still associated with your account with net zero.

Aluxe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:49:19 -0800, Dana wrote:
>> QUESTION:
>> Did changing the MAC address make it a wee bit harder for the big bad
>> brother authorities to identify me should they so desire?

> No, because it is still associated with your account with net zero.

Hi Dana,

Ah, I finally understand. I agree with you. I was wrong. I was, in fact,
wasting my time by changing my MAC address periodically.

CASE 1:
In the case of me changing my MAC address using my paid-for ISP, I agree
with you (now) that changing the MAC address provides no additive privacy.

CASE 2:
In the case of a NetZero free ISP, I see from your arguments that changing
the MAC address still doesn't provide additive privacy.

CASE 3:
However, what if there was a free hotel lobby hotspot. Wouldn't a temporary
change of the MAC address provide additional privacy?

John Navas

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 04:00:45 GMT, Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <1m2g2nhwk5ckw$.8qr6ipjz2j4g$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:30:31 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:
>>> At this point, I just want to reduce the number of things I have to give
>>> you when I post, e.g., you can tell my location from my IP adddress, for
>>> example. And my ISP. And my MAC. And my newsreader. And my operating
>>> system. And other things that I don't even know.

>> No, we don't get your MAC address.

>Hi Warren Oates,
>
>I guess I was wrong.
>
>I was told by a friend that even when I use NetZero, they can track all my
>communications by my MAC address. Is that true?

No.

Do you believe everything you hear?

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>