Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

jason

#2 Aluxe wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:43:47 -0800, Dana wrote:
>
>>>If this took me all of a few seconds for a USA phone number, imagine what
>>>someone can find out about you who actually knows what they are doing!

>>You have way to much time on your hands.

> Hi Dana,
>
> Privacy is always worth the extra few seconds.

More like paranoia

#2 Aluxe

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:22:55 +0100, Greg Hennessy wrote:
> Oh gawd, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Hi Greg Hennessy,
I do appreciate your trying to add value and that is why I take the common
courtesy and decency to respond to your kind posting ... but ... this is
exasperating so I'll be a bit curt ...

Pleeeasssse ... if you don't really know the answer to the question ... you
are just adding to the noise level in this thread.

Please do respond if you truly know how to force the router to initiate the
PPPoE connection to the ISP without having to power down the router.

Warren Oates

In article <lxq74drnhby1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
#2 Aluxe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Please do respond if you truly know how to force the router to initiate the
> PPPoE connection to the ISP without having to power down the router.

Please do ask if (and when) you know whether you connect to your ISP
with DHCP or PPPoE. Hint: do you have to enter a username and password
to connect?
--
W. Oates
Teal'c: He is concealing something.

#2 Aluxe

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:36:54 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:
> Please do ask if (and when) you know whether you connect to your ISP
> with DHCP or PPPoE. Hint: do you have to enter a username and password
> to connect?

Hi Warren Oates,

Thank you for the response to the question.

Yes, I am using PPPoE & DHCP on DSL with a Linksys router and a DSL modem
(the router enters the username and password for me).

I have set my on-demand max-idle-time setting to 5 minutes.

The current hypothesis is that I will get a new IP address (hence NNTP
posting host) every night as long as the connection is idle for a few hours
(long enough for the ISP to give up the lease).

Hopefully this will work as it is indeed an elegant solution (if it works).

Thank you for asking questions that help flesh out the answers to the
questions!

#2 Aluxe

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:36:54 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:
> Please do ask if (and when) you know whether you connect to your ISP
> with DHCP or PPPoE. Hint: do you have to enter a username and password
> to connect?

Hi Warren Oates,

I would love to respond to technical questions related to the question!
(Have I not shown a willingness to respond to posters?)

QUESTION: Do I have to enter a username & password to connect?
ANSWER: Yes.

I long ago set the PPPoE username and password in the linksys router.
Apparently the router initiates that logon as I never manually type the
username or password to connect to the ISP.

I did have to reboot the router in order to force it to dial in to the ISP
after leaving the dsl modem off for hours overnight ... but I am hoping (by
this question) to learn how to re-establish the PPPoE connection without
having to reboot the router!

Thank you for asking questions that are helpful to the end result of
learning how to reestablish a PPPoE connection after hours of downtime
without having to actually reboot the router to force it to dial in with
the username and password.

Rick Merrill

Aluxe wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:30:31 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:
>
>>>At this point, I just want to reduce the number of things I have to give
>>>you when I post, e.g., you can tell my location from my IP adddress, for
>>>example. And my ISP. And my MAC. And my newsreader. And my operating
>>>system. And other things that I don't even know.

>>No, we don't get your MAC address.

> Hi Warren Oates,
>
> I guess I was wrong.
>
> I was told by a friend that even when I use NetZero, they can track all my
> communications by my MAC address. Is that true?

your Modem has a "MAC address" that they use.

> If so, changing the MAC address would add a level of privacy (just like
> closing the bathroom door adds a level of privacy).
>
> It's not that we expect everyone to duck their head under the IP packet to
> look at us, but, we still close the door so as to have a modicum of
> privacy.

Tristan

> used. Yes the military tracks which MAC address is assigned to what
> computer (the units I supported recently in Iraq were).

I bet my ass that is classified information