Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

 
 
Aluxe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-17-2006
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:58:19 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:
> All of your subject matter is on COMSEC and alt.computer.security is the ONLY News Group
> you need to post to.
>

Hi David,
I don't know what a COMSEC is but I will look it up.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dana
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-17-2006

"Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g5u1r8q8ztgp$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:58:19 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:
> > All of your subject matter is on COMSEC and alt.computer.security is

the ONLY News Group
> > you need to post to.
> >

> Hi David,
> I don't know what a COMSEC is but I will look it up.


Communication security.
Crypto and all that fancy stuff.
Very interesting stuff by the way, especially in the signal intelligence
side of the house.
If you are paranoid about your ISP address, you do not want to know what can
be done by signals intelligence, and other forms of electronic warfare and
electroncic countermeasures.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David H. Lipman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-17-2006
From: "Dana" <(E-Mail Removed)>

|
| "Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:1g5u1r8q8ztgp$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:58:19 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> All of your subject matter is on COMSEC and alt.computer.security is

| the ONLY News Group
>>> you need to post to.
>>>

>> Hi David,
>> I don't know what a COMSEC is but I will look it up.

|
| Communication security.
| Crypto and all that fancy stuff.
| Very interesting stuff by the way, especially in the signal intelligence
| side of the house.
| If you are paranoid about your ISP address, you do not want to know what can
| be done by signals intelligence, and other forms of electronic warfare and
| electroncic countermeasures.
|

Make him even MORE pranoid. Tell him about Tempest Monitoring

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dana
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-17-2006

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
news:%RbZg.3467$4T6.993@trnddc02...
> From: "Dana" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> |
> | "Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:1g5u1r8q8ztgp$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:58:19 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:
> >>> All of your subject matter is on COMSEC and alt.computer.security is

> | the ONLY News Group
> >>> you need to post to.
> >>>
> >> Hi David,
> >> I don't know what a COMSEC is but I will look it up.

> |
> | Communication security.
> | Crypto and all that fancy stuff.
> | Very interesting stuff by the way, especially in the signal intelligence
> | side of the house.
> | If you are paranoid about your ISP address, you do not want to know what

can
> | be done by signals intelligence, and other forms of electronic warfare

and
> | electroncic countermeasures.
> |
>
> Make him even MORE pranoid. Tell him about Tempest Monitoring


Now he is going to shield his house with lead.

>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Aluxe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2006
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:06:37 -0800, Dana wrote:
> If you are paranoid about your ISP address, you do not want to know what can
> be done by signals intelligence, and other forms of electronic warfare and
> electroncic countermeasures.


Yes. Indeed. I read that stuff about driving around sniffing everyone's WEP
security out. Apparently it's trivial for my neighbor to read all my
communications. Sigh.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aluxe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2006
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:24:11 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:
> Make him even MORE pranoid. Tell him about Tempest Monitoring


Oh my.

Apparently, unless I drape a wire mesh over my computer monitor, anyone can
read what I am typing from 300 yards away with just 100 dollars of common
equipment!

http://bss.sfsu.edu/fischer/IR%20360...gs/tempest.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aluxe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2006
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:08:29 -0800, Dana wrote:
>> Make him even MORE pranoid. Tell him about Tempest Monitoring

>
> Now he is going to shield his house with lead.


Wouldn't a simple wire-mesh screen suffice?

Luckily, most of the radiation eminates from monitors (according to what I
just read), and not from portable PC screens without any wires attached to
act as antennae.

Seems to me we could create a light conductive cloth (carbon fiber?) which
we could drape over the screen to prevent these tell tale emissions.

I'm going outside now to check the trucks parked on the street to see if
any have an antenna ...
 
Reply With Quote
 
jason
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2006
Aluxe wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:24:11 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:
>
>>Make him even MORE pranoid. Tell him about Tempest Monitoring

>
>
> Oh my.
>
> Apparently, unless I drape a wire mesh over my computer monitor, anyone can
> read what I am typing from 300 yards away with just 100 dollars of common
> equipment!
>
> http://bss.sfsu.edu/fischer/IR%20360...gs/tempest.htm


You need to change your meds Aluxe.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stuart Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2006

"Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g5u1r8q8ztgp$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:58:19 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> All of your subject matter is on COMSEC and alt.computer.security is
>> the ONLY News Group
>> you need to post to.
>>

> Hi David,
> I don't know what a COMSEC is but I will look it up.


There is a lot of interesting technical discussion here, but I would like to
take a different approach
From all the posts here and on the 'firewall' newsgroup, I believe I
understand what Aluxe is after.

Certainly we can trace posts here by screen name or IP (of the router) , and
if the IP changes it would make it more difficult to correlate posts if made
under a different name.
When we post, we expect that our message will be read, and the consequence
of that is that we identify ourselves to some degree. Some of us hide our
e-mail address - I don't mind if mine shows.

There was mention made of posts to 'personals' type groups, and not wishing
these posts to be correlated with technical posts. The use of different
'screen names' helps. But there is still the matter of IP address.
Somebody could determine my IP address, and scan all usenet posts for today
and discover that I also posted to the 'windows98' group, because a post
there had the same IP address, even if it was under a different name. If I
had used a different screen name AND had changed my IP address, that
correlation could not be made.
It is worth noting that nobody 'owns' a usenet screen name - I have seen the
same name used by different posters. Therefore posts having the same 'screen
name' suggests but does not proove that they were made by the same person.

It would appear that, in order to cover ones tracks for this scenario, one
would have to do the technical (public) posts from home and either use a
different name with dial up, a public computer, or take the laptop to a
hotspot for the 'personals' posts. These can still be traced to some degree,
but with normal tools could not correlate the technical poster with the
'personals' poster.

This has nothing to do with security, but does grant a measure of privacy.

Comments?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dana
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2006

"Stuart Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EouZg.161589$R63.41013@pd7urf1no...
>
> "Aluxe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1g5u1r8q8ztgp$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:58:19 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:
> >> All of your subject matter is on COMSEC and alt.computer.security is
> >> the ONLY News Group
> >> you need to post to.
> >>

> > Hi David,
> > I don't know what a COMSEC is but I will look it up.

>
> There is a lot of interesting technical discussion here, but I would like

to
> take a different approach
> From all the posts here and on the 'firewall' newsgroup, I believe I
> understand what Aluxe is after.
>
> Certainly we can trace posts here by screen name or IP (of the router) ,

and
> if the IP changes it would make it more difficult to correlate posts if

made
> under a different name.
> When we post, we expect that our message will be read, and the consequence
> of that is that we identify ourselves to some degree. Some of us hide our
> e-mail address - I don't mind if mine shows.
>
> There was mention made of posts to 'personals' type groups, and not

wishing
> these posts to be correlated with technical posts. The use of different
> 'screen names' helps. But there is still the matter of IP address.
> Somebody could determine my IP address, and scan all usenet posts for

today
> and discover that I also posted to the 'windows98' group, because a post
> there had the same IP address, even if it was under a different name. If I
> had used a different screen name AND had changed my IP address, that
> correlation could not be made.
> It is worth noting that nobody 'owns' a usenet screen name - I have seen

the
> same name used by different posters. Therefore posts having the same

'screen
> name' suggests but does not proove that they were made by the same person.
>
> It would appear that, in order to cover ones tracks for this scenario, one
> would have to do the technical (public) posts from home and either use a
> different name with dial up, a public computer, or take the laptop to a
> hotspot for the 'personals' posts. These can still be traced to some

degree,
> but with normal tools could not correlate the technical poster with the
> 'personals' poster.
>
> This has nothing to do with security, but does grant a measure of privacy.
>
> Comments?


Interesting remarks. Especially when we now see that the FBI wants to force
the ISP's to track the users of their systems.
So what to do about privacy. Concerning your broadband connection to an ISP,
the cable/dsl modem would be the device used to identify you to the system.
This address while it probably can be changed, would probably result in the
ISP blocking your access, as now that address does not match their records.
So realizing that you cannot change that address, changing your own
computers address really does no good, as you could still be identified just
because of your connection to the broadband service. Using a dialup account
may be a bit harder, but you would still have to provide some form of
identification/authorization to log on, hence as a paying subscriber you
really cannot avoid being identified.
The free public hotspots, can remain free but I can see where in the future
they may have you log in to use the system, the room for abuse here is
large, so being tracked while using a free public hotspot may be difficult
at best, unless the providers are forced to implement strict accountability
procedures. I.E you have to show your drivers license to use the system, and
your license number will be associated with the MAC you use to connect. But
that takes a lot of oversight.
So where does that leave people like the OP who desires more privacy.
I see his only avenue would be to use proxy servers while surfing, and some
premium news group posting service that strips his headers and uses there
own headers as a way of remaining semi private.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL Aluxe Computer Security 21 10-26-2006 01:50 PM
Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL Aluxe Computer Security 46 10-21-2006 10:04 AM
Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL Aluxe Computer Security 13 10-19-2006 10:18 PM
Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL #2 Aluxe Computer Security 16 10-19-2006 04:19 PM
Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL Aluxe Computer Security 11 10-18-2006 11:30 PM



Advertisments