Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Simple security software for Win2k

Reply
Thread Tools

Simple security software for Win2k

 
 
gabbey.maps@bkwds.dynanet.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-17-2006

I'd like to dump (uninstall) my old security software mainly since it's
update subscription has expired, but also since it seems to choke or
slow browsing. Need specifically to BLOCK (totally) a specific IP on the
LAN. Kindly comment on this. Also maybe block java, and EXEs, etc.

-G

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sebastian Gottschalk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-17-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I'd like to dump (uninstall) my old security software mainly since it's
> update subscription has expired, but also since it seems to choke or
> slow browsing. Need specifically to BLOCK (totally) a specific IP on the
> LAN. Kindly comment on this. Also maybe block java, and EXEs, etc.


Could it me that you're drunk? You're talking unrelated nonsense. What
about telling us what kind of security problems you like to address with
which concepts, how you did before, etc.

Blocking a specific address on a LAN would suggest a packet filter,
blocking Java would suggest sticking your head in the manual of your
webbrowser, blocking the execution of programs would suggest the Software
Restriction Policies on Windows XP.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
gabbey.maps@bkwds.dynanet.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-17-2006
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 04:00:33 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
<(E-Mail Removed)> brought the following to our attention:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I'd like to dump (uninstall) my old security software mainly since it's
>> update subscription has expired, but also since it seems to choke or
>> slow browsing. Need specifically to BLOCK (totally) a specific IP on the
>> LAN. Kindly comment on this. Also maybe block java, and EXEs, etc.

>
>Could it me that you're drunk? You're talking unrelated nonsense. What
>about telling us what kind of security problems you like to address with
>which concepts, how you did before, etc.


Nope.. not drunk, and not an expert either.

>Blocking a specific address on a LAN would suggest a packet filter,
>blocking Java would suggest sticking your head in the manual of your
>webbrowser, blocking the execution of programs would suggest the
>Software Restriction Policies on Windows XP.


First off, I need to block an IP on the 192 subnet.. everything from
that machine. But not sure it if can still (try to) use Windows network
protocols over the Ethernet. However I have TWO NICs in a few
machines with a small private LAN in this one-room office.

Secondly, would like to have control over which EXE has WAN
access / traffic. Also would like control over Scripts and binary
executables (that would be Java Applets and ActiveX)

-

 
Reply With Quote
 
Sebastian Gottschalk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-17-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 04:00:33 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
> <(E-Mail Removed)> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to dump (uninstall) my old security software mainly since it's
>>> update subscription has expired, but also since it seems to choke or
>>> slow browsing. Need specifically to BLOCK (totally) a specific IP on the
>>> LAN. Kindly comment on this. Also maybe block java, and EXEs, etc.

>>
>>Could it me that you're drunk? You're talking unrelated nonsense. What
>>about telling us what kind of security problems you like to address with
>>which concepts, how you did before, etc.

>
> Nope.. not drunk, and not an expert either.
>
>>Blocking a specific address on a LAN would suggest a packet filter,
>>blocking Java would suggest sticking your head in the manual of your
>>webbrowser, blocking the execution of programs would suggest the
>>Software Restriction Policies on Windows XP.

>
> First off, I need to block an IP on the 192 subnet.. everything from
> that machine. But not sure it if can still (try to) use Windows network
> protocols over the Ethernet.


When restricting to SMB-only, you may try carefully denying IP broadcasts..
anyway else, you need to filter by MAC rather than by IP.

> However I have TWO NICs in a few
> machines with a small private LAN in this one-room office.


OK, what about more details about your infrastructure?

> Secondly, would like to have control over which EXE has WAN
> access / traffic.


Yes, many people have such a wish, but it doesn't make it any more
realistic. IPC is simply too powerful, so one program can remotely control
another programs that has already been allowed. Better avoid running any
non-whitelisted executables in first place!

> Also would like control over Scripts and binary executables
> (that would be Java Applets and ActiveX)


ActiveX, at least when it comes to COM controls, is an integral part of
Windows. I guess you mean ActiveX as a plugin structure for MSIE? Simply
said, MSIE even without ActiveX is a super-stupid idea, so if you're using
it, dump that immediately. And for Mozilla, you'd be required to explicitly
install the ActiveX plugin and explicitly allow specific controls.

For Java, the very same things applies. If you don't want to execute any
Java applications, simply don't install Java or deny running the Java VM
binaries. For Java applets embedded in the browser, you can use the
browser's configuration or simply not install Java.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
win2k wpa security for wireless christyxx1971@gmail.com Computer Support 2 12-15-2008 10:43 PM
Internet Security Software.(computer internet security) Jim Watt Computer Security 0 04-27-2008 11:43 AM
win98 on c:, win2k on d: boot.ini only shows win2k thing NZ Computing 3 08-15-2004 06:47 PM
Integrated Security under Win2K and WinXP Alexander Stojakovic ASP .Net 0 01-15-2004 12:25 PM
IT-Security, Security, e-security COMSOLIT Messmer Computer Support 0 09-05-2003 08:34 AM



Advertisments