Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Does SSL "secure" WEP?

Does SSL "secure" WEP?

Joe

Hi there,

I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured
using WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't
support WEP. My question is:
If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is
anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typed(viewed) into the
SSL-Website?

Thanks
Joe

Joe

Joe schrieb:
> Hi there,
>
> I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured
> using WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't
> support WEP.

Sorry for misspelling my router doesn't support WPA.
My question is:
> If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is
> anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typed(viewed) into the
> SSL-Website?
>
> Thanks
> Joe

Todd H.

Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured
> using WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't
> support WPA. My question is:
> If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is
> anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typed(viewed) into the
> SSL-Website?

You would be protected provided they don't Man in the middle your SSL
session (which is easier than anyone wants to believe).

Some things to know though:
WEP can be cracked in minutes.
New access points are cheap.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

smerf

Upgrade your router. You'll be much safer.

It's easier than trying to clean up after a WEP break-in.

And, although there are many cheap routers out there, I've never been one
that believes in buying outdated technology. Buy something you'll get lots
of good use out of and not wish you had something better in 6 months.

I just bought a Netgear Rangemax Next Wireless Router (up to 270Mbps
throughput!) at Fry's for $119. I wish I'd seen it at NewEgg first - it's
only $89 there -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122163.

Its easy to set up, and has a butt load of security features. Oh
yeah......did I mention the 270 Mbps speed? And the range is awesome. I
can go anywhere in our yard - even across the street to the neighbors house
and still be surfing on my Netgear Rangemax.

Good luck to ya!

news:452f42d7$0$30574$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Hi there,
>
> I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured using
> WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't support WEP.
> My question is:
> If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is
> anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typed(viewed) into the
> SSL-Website?
>
> Thanks
> Joe

David Kelly

In article <jsUXg.10026$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"smerf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Upgrade your router. You'll be much safer.
>
> It's easier than trying to clean up after a WEP break-in.
>
> And, although there are many cheap routers out there, I've never been one
> that believes in buying outdated technology. Buy something you'll get lots
> of good use out of and not wish you had something better in 6 months.
>
> I just bought a Netgear Rangemax Next Wireless Router (up to 270Mbps
> throughput!) at Fry's for $119. I wish I'd seen it at NewEgg first - it's
> only $89 there -
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122163.

A US Robotics USR5461 is often $15 or $20 after the rebate hassle from
CompUSA. Supports WPA2. Uses a Linux core with source code available
from USR if you care to play with it.

Mine works pretty good with Macbook Pro laptop once I disabled the 2x
speed "enhancement" at the AP.

Warren

On 13 Oct 2006 10:53:00 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:

>Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured
>> using WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't
>> support WPA. My question is:
>> If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is
>> anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typed(viewed) into the
>> SSL-Website?

>You would be protected provided they don't Man in the middle your SSL
>session (which is easier than anyone wants to believe).
>
>Some things to know though:
> WEP can be cracked in minutes.
> New access points are cheap.

Just to add to the fire - MINM SSL attacks are no safer over a wired
connection.

....surf smart.

Warren
Warren