Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Denied access to files on Win 2K disk

Denied access to files on Win 2K disk

rc

My Windows 2000 Pro system recently died, and, of course, my backups were
not completely up to date.

I can get to most of the files by adding the disk (NTFS) as a slave on
another machine, but one folder is protected with full control granted to my
user account and no other access. Perhaps not surprisingly access is denied
by the new (XP) machine.

I cannot boot from the disk on the other machine (even when it is the only
disk on the machine), nor does my WIN2K install CD seem interested in
repairing Windows to allow some sort of start, even in safe mode.

Any ideas, or should I just say goodbye to those files?

Thanks
Richard

David H. Lipman

From: "rc" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| My Windows 2000 Pro system recently died, and, of course, my backups were
| not completely up to date.
|
| I can get to most of the files by adding the disk (NTFS) as a slave on
| another machine, but one folder is protected with full control granted to my
| user account and no other access. Perhaps not surprisingly access is denied
| by the new (XP) machine.
|
| I cannot boot from the disk on the other machine (even when it is the only
| disk on the machine), nor does my WIN2K install CD seem interested in
| repairing Windows to allow some sort of start, even in safe mode.
|
| Any ideas, or should I just say goodbye to those files?
|
| Thanks
| Richard

You have to take Ownership of the full drive due to the change od SIDs when the OS was
re-generated.

This has NOTHING to do with WinXP, per se. It has to do with Security Identifiers and NTFS.
Whe you re-created a OS the OS used a new SID which doesn't match those used on the old
NTFS partition thus denying access. That why you need to take ownership as the
"administrator".

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

rc

Many thanks for your help. I have now recovered all my files (I've also
backed them up now!)

Richard