Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Symantec definitions 4 April 2006

Symantec definitions 4 April 2006

Luigi Donatello Asero

Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by Symantec?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
谢谢* спасибо

Admins

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:15:41 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by Symantec?

They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater that
can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
symantec,

Regards,

Admin

* www.privacyoffshore.net (No Logs Internet Surfing)
* Anonymous Secure Offshore SSH-2 Surfing Tunnels

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Admins" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:15:41 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by

Symantec?

> They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater that
> can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
> symantec,
>
> Regards,
>
> Admin

Thank you.
I could download them a while after writing this post.
I have some other questions:
1) Which softwares does Symantec sell for Windows 98
2) If I changed from Windows 98 into Linux, which Antivirus and Firewalls
would I need?
3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?
4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely files
to and from websites?
5) Is is possible to buy this software without using credit cards, that
means by invoice?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
谢谢* спасибо

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:G4aVg.19101$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Admins" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:15:41 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> >
> > > Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by

> Symantec?
> >
> > They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater that
> > can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
> > symantec,
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Admin

> Thank you.
> I could download them a while after writing this post.
> I have some other questions:
> 1) Which softwares does Symantec sell for Windows 98
> 2) If I changed from Windows 98 into Linux, which Antivirus and Firewalls
> would I need?
> 3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?
> 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely files
> to and from websites?
> 5) Is is possible to buy this software without using credit cards, that
> means by invoice?

I am also interested to know about other Security systems than Symantec, not
only by Symantec.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
谢谢* спасибо

Stuart Miller

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G4aVg.19101$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Admins" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:15:41 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>
>> > Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by

> Symantec?
>>
>> They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater that
>> can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
>> symantec,
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Admin

> Thank you.
> I could download them a while after writing this post.
> I have some other questions:
> 1) Which softwares does Symantec sell for Windows 98

I gave up on then a few years ago

> 2) If I changed from Windows 98 into Linux, which Antivirus and Firewalls
> would I need?

It is important to understand that linux is conceptually different from
windows. It is virtually impossible to have viruses, trojans or whatever
install themselves on a linux system. Things only happen when you tell them
to happen. This is different from the windows concept of allow everything so
that it is easy for the user. Security is built in, rather than added on

Most distributions have a firewall built in.

> 3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?

Consider how long it took you to learn and use windows. I can not compare
this for myself, since I started using jcl on an IBM 360 back in the late
60's, and went through cp/m and dos.
For everyday working, the KDE desktop functions much like windows.
For system maintenance, you must learn to use abut a dozen command line
programs and utilities.

If you choose a good distribution (and I will not start the 'which one'
debate) you can be productive the same day.

One consideration for an easy transition is to get a second hard drive,
about 8 gigs is enough, put it in your system as slave, and use the linux
dual boot option. You can learn linux but still have your win98 system
available.

The major difference you will find is that it is a bit more difficult to
install new applications in linux than it is in windows, but you will learns
very quickly how to do it.

> 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely files
> to and from websites?

There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue much
more for the server than the client
Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients
Linux distributions have several built in

> 5) Is is possible to buy this software without using credit cards, that
> means by invoice?

Linux is free

Stuart

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Stuart Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet

> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:G4aVg.19101$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Admins" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Symantec?
> >>
> >> They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater

that
> >> can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
> >> symantec,
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Admin

> > Thank you.
> > I could download them a while after writing this post.
> > I have some other questions:
> > 1) Which softwares does Symantec sell for Windows 98

> I gave up on then a few years ago

Which one? Symantec or Windows 98?

> > 2) If I changed from Windows 98 into Linux, which Antivirus and

Firewalls
> > would I need?

> It is important to understand that linux is conceptually different from
> windows. It is virtually impossible to have viruses, trojans or whatever
> install themselves on a linux system. Things only happen when you tell

them
> to happen. This is different from the windows concept of allow everything

so
> that it is easy for the user. Security is built in, rather than added on

It sounds good.
But what about softwares?
For example, are there text editors?
What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
platform?
Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?
I have myself a one-man business

> Most distributions have a firewall built in.

Ok
> > 3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?

> Consider how long it took you to learn and use windows.

I think that it probably took some months to learn the basical things but
how long it could take to learn and use Linux depends much on how different
it is compared with Windows

I can not compare
> this for myself, since I started using jcl on an IBM 360 back in the late
> 60's, and went through cp/m and dos.

I share your opinion. I have learnt a little bit about MS DOS but not that
much, so it would probably take longer for me.

> For everyday working, the KDE desktop functions much like windows.
> For system maintenance, you must learn to use abut a dozen command line
> programs and utilities.
>
> If you choose a good distribution (and I will not start the 'which one'
> debate) you can be productive the same day.
>
> One consideration for an easy transition is to get a second hard drive,
> about 8 gigs is enough, put it in your system as slave, and use the linux
> dual boot option. You can learn linux but still have your win98 system
> available.

Do you mean an extra external hard drive?

> The major difference you will find is that it is a bit more difficult to
> install new applications in linux than it is in windows, but you will

learns
> very quickly how to do it.
>
> > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely

files
> > to and from websites?

> There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue much
> more for the server than the client
> Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients

IE 6.0 or IE 7.0 or both?
How do I use them as ftp clients?
> Linux distributions have several built in

Ok
> > 5) Is is possible to buy this software without using credit cards, that
> > means by invoice?
> >

> Linux is free

Is it free for commercial use as well?
I have a one-man business.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
谢谢* спасибо

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
newsmgVg.19131$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> > One consideration for an easy transition is to get a second hard drive,
> > about 8 gigs is enough, put it in your system as slave, and use the

linux
> > dual boot option. You can learn linux but still have your win98 system
> > available.

> Do you mean an extra external hard drive?
>
> > The major difference you will find is that it is a bit more difficult to
> > install new applications in linux than it is in windows, but you will

> learns
> > very quickly how to do it.
> >
> > > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely

> files
> > > to and from websites?

> > There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue much
> > more for the server than the client
> > Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients

By the way,
it almost slipped my mind.
I need download and upload even files *n Chinese and Russian, not only
files in the Western European languages.
Are IE and/or Netscape good for that?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
谢谢* спасибо

Bit Twister

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:15:59 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> It sounds good.
> But what about softwares?

Well, let's count the files just in bin directories
$ locate bin/ | wc -l
3818

Is 3,818+ programs enough software for you.

> For example, are there text editors?

Yep, lots.

> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
> platform?

Command line/batch/cron or interactive gui interface?

> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

Yes. private or commercial or both.

Maybe these will help.
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/App...rossover_Chart
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

Stuart Miller

This post is getting to be rather large so i will trim it

>> > I gave up on then a few years ago

>> Which one? Symantec or Windows 98?

I gave up on Symantec, I still run win98 on 4 machines here

>> For example, are there text editors?

Several built in, OpenOffice will do pretty much everything you can do with
MS Office, also free

>> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
>> platform?

The Gimp (also free) is excellent

>> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

I use it as a workstation, file & print server, and as a web server - 3
different machines.

>> I have myself a one-man business

would be well suited to that

>> I think that it probably took some months to learn the basical things but
>> how long it could take to learn and use Linux depends much on how

> different
>> it is compared with Windows

From a graphical point of view, I would describe it as 'much like windows'
in that you can navigate, drag & drop, and open files with their related
application in a very similar manner

What is different is
- the concept of separate user accounts & separate spaces, properly
implemented and secure
- the need to use the admin account to install programs, and the need to
never use the admin account to do any application type work or play games

>> I share your opinion. I have learnt a little bit about MS DOS but not
>> that
>> much, so it would probably take longer for me.

command documentation is excellent, should be fairly easy

>> > One consideration for an easy transition is to get a second hard drive,
>> > about 8 gigs is enough, put it in your system as slave, and use the

> linux
>> > dual boot option. You can learn linux but still have your win98 system
>> > available.

>> Do you mean an extra external hard drive?

That is one possibility, but some computers will not boot from a usb device,
so I do not recommend that.

Every pc these days allows 4 ide devices. My system has

Primary ide
- master drive - 250 gig maxtor with linux, multi boot loader, then win 98
and my xp experimental install. For both of these I can test things then
reformat & reinstall if I screw things up
- slave drive - 160 gig WD with my 'functional' install of xp, I am typing
on right now
This is for the xp things I have no choice about (yet) which I can not
run in win98
Secondary ide
- dvd reader
- dvd burner

Stuart

Stuart Miller

">> > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely
> files
>> > to and from websites?

>> There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue much
>> more for the server than the client
>> Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients

> IE 6.0 or IE 7.0 or both?
> How do I use them as ftp clients?

Here I am promoting linux and telling you how to use IE - shame on me
for IE, instead of http://www.mydomain.net you just type in
ftp://ftp.mydomain.net and IE will switch to another of its many
personalities in its attempt to be all things to all people.
It is not great but it works ok. The 'get' and 'put' functions are not
exactly intuitive, but they work.

As long as the files are properly structured ( and compressed, if
applicable) it should not matter what 'language' they are in.
This would apply to any properly structured ftp client or server

>> Linux is free

> Is it free for commercial use as well?

Just plain free, use it as you wish. No 'free for educational use only'
stuff there.

Stuart