Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Symantec definitions 4 April 2006

Symantec definitions 4 April 2006

Stuart Miller

"Bit Twister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:15:59 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>> It sounds good.
>> But what about softwares?

> Well, let's count the files just in bin directories
> $ locate bin/ | wc -l
> 3818
>
> Is 3,818+ programs enough software for you.
>
>> For example, are there text editors?

> Yep, lots.
>
>> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
>> platform?

> Command line/batch/cron or interactive gui interface?
>
>> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

> Yes. private or commercial or both.
>
> Maybe these will help.
> http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/App...rossover_Chart
> http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

Is there a penalty for posting three replies in the same thread on the same
day? I hope not

Nice to see a familiar name here.

to Luigi - Bit Twister has been a great source of help in the Mandriva
newsgroup.
His support, and many others in that group is a key reason for me
recommending that distribution

Stuart

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Stuart Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> This post is getting to be rather large so i will trim it

> >> Which one? Symantec or Windows 98?

> I gave up on Symantec, I still run win98 on 4 machines here
>
> >> For example, are there text editors?

> Several built in, OpenOffice will do pretty much everything you can do

with
> MS Office, also free

What about customers who would need a translation and send
a text in a Word document?
Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
Windows XP for example.
But what if you get a text which is in Word 97, for example?
Could you open it by using OpenOffice?
What if your customer does not use Linux?

> >> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
> >> platform?

> The Gimp (also free) is excellent
>
> >> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

> I use it as a workstation, file & print server, and as a web server - 3
> different machines.
>
> >> I have myself a one-man business

> would be well suited to that
>

> >> I think that it probably took some months to learn the basical things

but
> >> how long it could take to learn and use Linux depends much on how

> > different
> >> it is compared with Windows
> >>

> From a graphical point of view, I would describe it as 'much like windows'
> in that you can navigate, drag & drop, and open files with their related
> application in a very similar manner
>
> What is different is
> - the concept of separate user accounts & separate spaces, properly
> implemented and secure
> - the need to use the admin account to install programs, and the need to
> never use the admin account to do any application type work or play games
>

> >> I share your opinion. I have learnt a little bit about MS DOS but not
> >> that
> >> much, so it would probably take longer for me.

> command documentation is excellent, should be fairly easy

drive,

> > linux

system

> >> Do you mean an extra external hard drive?

> That is one possibility, but some computers will not boot from a usb

device,
> so I do not recommend that.

If I needed to buy another PC to use Linux, this change would be much more
expensive...
At present I use 2 computers. I could switch from Windows 98 into Linux at
one and leave
Windows XP in the other. I already have an external hard drive.
If I needed buy another PC to run Linux, it would probably not be worth.
I am basically looking for a solution to use the resources which are already
available to me in the best and least expensive way.
And, by the way does this solution suits to transfer files to and from the
server if the website is sent over https?

> Every pc these days allows 4 ide devices. My system has
>
> Primary ide
> - master drive - 250 gig maxtor with linux, multi boot loader, then win 98
> and my xp experimental install. For both of these I can test things then
> reformat & reinstall if I screw things up
> - slave drive - 160 gig WD with my 'functional' install of xp, I am typing
> on right now
> This is for the xp things I have no choice about (yet) which I can not
> run in win98
> Secondary ide
> - dvd reader
> - dvd burner
>
> Stuart

What do you mean by "ide"?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
谢谢* спасибо

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:iQtVg.19179$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Stuart Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > This post is getting to be rather large so i will trim it

> > I gave up on Symantec, I still run win98 on 4 machines here

> > Several built in, OpenOffice will do pretty much everything you can do

> with
> > MS Office, also free

> What about customers who would need a translation and send
> a text in a Word document?
> Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
> Windows XP for example.
> But what if you get a text which is in Word 97, for example?
> Could you open it by using OpenOffice?
> What if your customer does not use Linux?

The following is probably better formulated:
thank you very much for your answer.
What about customers who needed a translation and sent
a text in a Word document? How could I possibly meet his/her formatting
needs?

> ">> > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely
> > files
> >>
> >> There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue

much
> >> more for the server than the client
> >> Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients

> > IE 6.0 or IE 7.0 or both?
> > How do I use them as ftp clients?

> Here I am promoting linux and telling you how to use IE - shame on me
> for IE, instead of http://www.mydomain.net you just type in
> ftp://ftp.mydomain.net and IE will switch to another of its many
> personalities in its attempt to be all things to all people.
> It is not great but it works ok. The 'get' and 'put' functions are not
> exactly intuitive, but they work.
>
> As long as the files are properly structured ( and compressed, if
> applicable) it should not matter what 'language' they are in.
> This would apply to any properly structured ftp client or server
>
> >> Linux is free

> > Is it free for commercial use as well?

> Just plain free, use it as you wish.

Fine.
What about SSL?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
谢谢*, спасибо, tack så mycket!

> "Bit Twister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:15:59 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> >> It sounds good.
> >> But what about softwares?

> > Well, let's count the files just in bin directories
> > $ locate bin/ | wc -l
> > 3818
> >
> > Is 3,818+ programs enough software for you.
> >
> >> For example, are there text editors?

> > Yep, lots.
> >
> >> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
> >> platform?

> > Command line/batch/cron or interactive gui interface?
> >
> >> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

> > Yes. private or commercial or both.
> >
> > Maybe these will help.
> > http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/App...rossover_Chart
> > http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

> Is there a penalty for posting three replies in the same thread on the

same
> day? I hope not
>
> Nice to see a familiar name here.
>
> to Luigi - Bit Twister has been a great source of help in the Mandriva
> newsgroup.

Where is the Mandriva newsgroup?
What does the Mandriva newsgroup deal with?

> His support, and many others in that group is a key reason for me
> recommending that distribution

Are you sure that there are not any requirements to the use of Linux?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
谢谢*, спасибо, tack så mycket!

Stuart Miller

I have condensed the three responses into one

> What about SSL?

I don't need SSL at this time so I have not learned how to configure it, but
it is available in linux for both client and server ends.

> Where is the Mandriva newsgroup?
> What does the Mandriva newsgroup deal with?

alt.os.linux.mandriva drop in and take a look

> What about customers who would need a translation and send
> a text in a Word document?

OpenOffice will work in MS Word97 format, and many others
As I understand the situation, linux handles international languages and
fonts very well

> Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
> Windows XP for example.

Yes, but dual boot on one machine will also accomplish that.
These days, it is not expensive to have a separate computer. For business
application linux does not need anywhere near the resources that xp does, so
used machine will do just fine.

> But what if you get a text which is in Word 97, for example?
> Could you open it by using OpenOffice?

As above, yes

> What if your customer does not use Linux?

Does not matter - it is the file format that matters.

re-quote from another reply

> The following is probably better formulated:
> thank you very much for your answer.
> What about customers who needed a translation and sent
> a text in a Word document? How could I possibly meet his/her formatting
> needs?

answered above

> Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
> Windows XP for example.

In terms of documents, I don't believe that xp can do anything that win98
and linux can not do

What do you mean by "ide"?

My age is showing here
Without getting technical, ide has been the accepted standard for hard
drives and cd-rom or dvd devices since the early 90's
40 conductor ribbon cables, controllers built into the motherboard
More modern references include ATA and SATA, and a host of improvements.

Stuart

Bit Twister

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:39:53 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> Where is the Mandriva newsgroup?

alt.os.linux.mandriva

You can search for whatever using

> What does the Mandriva newsgroup deal with?

It is for helping people with Mandriva Linux problems.

> Are you sure that there are not any requirements to the use of Linux?

At least 6 gig if free disk space, hopefully 256 meg, or more, of
memory. Some effort on your part.

Regardless of which linux you try, do read

As for requirements, Create about 6 gig of free space and you can dual
boot from a windows box. Want to see install screen shots

http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandrak...akx-intro.html

Melic

> 3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?

There is nothing like seeing it by yourself, I reccomend you
get a Linux live CD to try it out without installing.

If you register with Ubuntu website they will even send you
one free of charge.

My choice of FTP http://www.filezilla.org

Freeware,open source, and supportsSFTP
--
Email:(E-Mail Removed)
Decrypt with Caesar ROT13

> I have condensed the three responses into one
>
> > What about SSL?

> I don't need SSL at this time so I have not learned how to configure it,

but
> it is available in linux for both client and server ends.
>

> > Where is the Mandriva newsgroup?
> > What does the Mandriva newsgroup deal with?

> alt.os.linux.mandriva drop in and take a look
>
> > What about customers who would need a translation and send
> > a text in a Word document?

> OpenOffice will work in MS Word97 format, and many others
> As I understand the situation, linux handles international languages and
> fonts very well
>

> > Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
> > Windows XP for example.

> Yes, but dual boot on one machine will also accomplish that.
> These days, it is not expensive to have a separate computer. For business
> application linux does not need anywhere near the resources that xp does,

so
> used machine will do just fine.
>
> > But what if you get a text which is in Word 97, for example?
> > Could you open it by using OpenOffice?

> As above, yes
>
> > What if your customer does not use Linux?

> Does not matter - it is the file format that matters.
>
> re-quote from another reply
>
> > The following is probably better formulated:
> > thank you very much for your answer.
> > What about customers who needed a translation and sent
> > a text in a Word document? How could I possibly meet his/her formatting
> > needs?

> answered above
>
> > Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
> > Windows XP for example.

> In terms of documents, I don't believe that xp can do anything that win98
> and linux can not do
>

> What do you mean by "ide"?
>
> My age is showing here
> Without getting technical, ide has been the accepted standard for hard
> drives and cd-rom or dvd devices since the early 90's
> 40 conductor ribbon cables, controllers built into the motherboard
> More modern references include ATA and SATA, and a host of improvements.
>
> Stuart

I had a quick look at the Linux website and, as far as I understand, Linux
can do approximately
95% of what Windows can do. I suppose that a good solution might be to go on
working with
Windows XP on one computer and switch from Windows 98 into Linux on the
other, because Microsoft does not support Windows 98 any longer.
But the PC where I use Windows 98 does not have a large harddisk. It can
only contain about
4 GB, I think.
Is that enough?
Besides, how would I send my posts here, by using Linux?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

Stuart Miller

> I had a quick look at the Linux website and, as far as I understand,
> Linux
> can do approximately
> 95% of what Windows can do. I suppose that a good solution might be to go
> on
> working with
> Windows XP on one computer and switch from Windows 98 into Linux on the
> other, because Microsoft does not support Windows 98 any longer.
> But the PC where I use Windows 98 does not have a large harddisk. It can
> only contain about
> 4 GB, I think.
> Is that enough?

I would not bother to keep win98 active if you have xp running. So far I
have found only a handful of applications which run in win98 and not in xp.

4 gigs is light for linux, but will do if you only do a workstation install,
no servers, games or development.
I would look for a 20 to 40 gig used drive, or use all the space, and
eliminate win98.

> Besides, how would I send my posts here, by using Linux?

I have chosen to keep the e-mail and newsgroups on the xp machine, but I can
do both from linux using kmail and knode. There are many other mail and news
clients available.

Drop in on the mandriva newsgroup and we can continue the discussion there.

Stuart