Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A question and help with certain home theater components. Please help!!

A question and help with certain home theater components. Please help!!

Cantemaza

I have a new Sony 1080 55" with an HDMI input.
I have a new Sony upconversion DVD player
I do NOT have a reciever and speaker yet.

Ok, I know that if I hook up my DVD player to the TV, I get amazing
sound and picture with both the HD sound/video running through the
HDMI cable.

If I buy a receiver WITHOUT an HDMI passthrough (HDMI in/HDMI out),
hook up the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV, and I run the single
coaxial and left right channel sound from the DVD player to the non-
HDMI receiver, will I still get amazing sound?

Do I need to buy a receiver with and HDMI passthrough to go from the
DVD to the receiver to the TV?

I guess I really want to know if I run HDMI for the digital sound from
the DVD player to the receiver, will I get superior sound?

Please help. Thanks.

--neil

Dave Oldridge

"Cantemaza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1172456424.997502.101420
@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I have a new Sony 1080 55" with an HDMI input.
> I have a new Sony upconversion DVD player
> I do NOT have a reciever and speaker yet.
>
> Ok, I know that if I hook up my DVD player to the TV, I get amazing
> sound and picture with both the HD sound/video running through the
> HDMI cable.
>
> If I buy a receiver WITHOUT an HDMI passthrough (HDMI in/HDMI out),
> hook up the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV, and I run the single
> coaxial and left right channel sound from the DVD player to the non-
> HDMI receiver, will I still get amazing sound?
>
> Do I need to buy a receiver with and HDMI passthrough to go from the
> DVD to the receiver to the TV?
>
> I guess I really want to know if I run HDMI for the digital sound from
> the DVD player to the receiver, will I get superior sound?

I don't see how. Digital audio is digital audio. If you hook to your
receiver with a TOSlink fiber or a simple cable, you should get the same
quality, since the actual decoding is done by the receiver.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Sam Spade

Cantemaza wrote:

> I have a new Sony 1080 55" with an HDMI input.
> I have a new Sony upconversion DVD player
> I do NOT have a reciever and speaker yet.
>
> Ok, I know that if I hook up my DVD player to the TV, I get amazing
> sound and picture with both the HD sound/video running through the
> HDMI cable.
>
> If I buy a receiver WITHOUT an HDMI passthrough (HDMI in/HDMI out),
> hook up the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV, and I run the single
> coaxial and left right channel sound from the DVD player to the non-
> HDMI receiver, will I still get amazing sound?
>
> Do I need to buy a receiver with and HDMI passthrough to go from the
> DVD to the receiver to the TV?
>
> I guess I really want to know if I run HDMI for the digital sound from
> the DVD player to the receiver, will I get superior sound?
>
> Please help. Thanks.
>
> --neil

I have a separate Sony sound system. When playing DVDs it is all done
internally. The pickup for television is from the audio out RCA jacks
on my cable-company DVR. When the broadcast is something like
Letterman, the sound is a whole lot better than what the TV's speakers
provide.

whosbest54

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

>I have a new Sony 1080 55" with an HDMI input.
>I have a new Sony upconversion DVD player
>I do NOT have a reciever and speaker yet.
>
>Ok, I know that if I hook up my DVD player to the TV, I get amazing
>sound and picture with both the HD sound/video running through the
>HDMI cable.

Amazing sound from TV speakers? Doubtful. Get an A/V receiver and a
surround sound setup. That will be amazing.

>If I buy a receiver WITHOUT an HDMI passthrough (HDMI in/HDMI out),
>hook up the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV, and I run the single
>coaxial and left right channel sound from the DVD player to the non-
>HDMI receiver, will I still get amazing sound?
>
>Do I need to buy a receiver with and HDMI passthrough to go from the
>DVD to the receiver to the TV?

No.

>I guess I really want to know if I run HDMI for the digital sound from
>the DVD player to the receiver, will I get superior sound?

Don't bother, digital audio is digital audio. Simply hook up a coax or
optical (Toslink) cable from the DVD player to the receiver and the
receiver will manage the digital sound. You don't need to hook up the
analog left and right cables from the DVD player to the receiver, the
digital out will do.

whosbest54

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html