Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Standalone 5.1 decoder

Standalone 5.1 decoder

Steve Kraus

Can someone recommend a good simple stand alone DD 5.1 decoder?

All I want is a box with fiber optic input and 6 line level outputs. Maybe
an output level adjust. I bought a Creative DDTS-100 but it was defective.
The replacement I received is also defective. Probably just bad luck but I
want to give up with them and have asked to return it for refund. But what
else is available?

FWIW this is to use with a Toshiba HD-DVD player which lacks built-in
decoding. I need a player with built-in decoding (as I have with my
regular DVD players) as I'm using it at a screening room and I need 6
channels @ line level to feed the existing sound system (no receiver).

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:31:21 GMT) it happened Steve Kraus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<do0Eh.3487$(E-Mail Removed) et>:

>Can someone recommend a good simple stand alone DD 5.1 decoder?
>
>All I want is a box with fiber optic input and 6 line level outputs. Maybe
>an output level adjust. I bought a Creative DDTS-100 but it was defective.
>The replacement I received is also defective. Probably just bad luck but I
>want to give up with them and have asked to return it for refund. But what
>else is available?
>
>FWIW this is to use with a Toshiba HD-DVD player which lacks built-in
>decoding. I need a player with built-in decoding (as I have with my
>regular DVD players) as I'm using it at a screening room and I need 6
>channels @ line level to feed the existing sound system (no receiver).

I have a Cyberhome CH-DVD 405 just for this purpose.
6 analog cinch outputs.
Works great, but not always on DVD+RW.
Had it for years, was only 60 Euro or so (say 85 $).
There are probably better models now, but picture quality is great too.
Cheaper then a separate decoder I'd think.

Steve Kraus

Jan Panteltje wrote:

> I have a Cyberhome CH-DVD 405 just for this purpose.

Um...that's hardly going to help me with HD-DVD playback.

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:01:07 GMT) it happened Steve Kraus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<7YsEh.5947$(E-Mail Removed). net>:

>Jan Panteltje wrote:
>
>> I have a Cyberhome CH-DVD 405 just for this purpose.

>Um...that's hardly going to help me with HD-DVD playback.

Sorry, did not notice you wanted HD.

Actually just use the normal format, cheaper too.

Steve Kraus

> Actually just use the normal format, cheaper too.

Hahahaha. Not quite the same thing.

Steve Kraus

Anyone? Do these no longer exist?

Rich Clark

On Mar 1, 11:30 am, Steve Kraus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Anyone? Do these no longer exist?

You might do just as well looking for a digital receiver with preamp
outs. Likely to be just as cheap (or cheaper) due to economy of
manufacturing scale, and you'll have a backup amp if you need one.

Irv Segal

I use a Klipsch ProMedia DD-5.1; it decodes AC-3 and DTS . It has optical
and coaxial SPDIF inputs, and analog outputs.

-iceeagle

"Steve Kraus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:do0Eh.3487$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Can someone recommend a good simple stand alone DD 5.1 decoder?
>
> All I want is a box with fiber optic input and 6 line level outputs.
> Maybe
> an output level adjust. I bought a Creative DDTS-100 but it was
> defective.
> The replacement I received is also defective. Probably just bad luck but
> want to give up with them and have asked to return it for refund. But
> what
> else is available?
>
> FWIW this is to use with a Toshiba HD-DVD player which lacks built-in
> decoding. I need a player with built-in decoding (as I have with my
> regular DVD players) as I'm using it at a screening room and I need 6
> channels @ line level to feed the existing sound system (no receiver).

mkr mkr is offline
Junior Member

You can find very cheap decoder on Ebay. Just search "5.1 decoder".

ISO DVD standalone player with DTS decoder Bodo Malo DVD Video 0 02-12-2006 08:56 PM
S-Video Decoder Matt North VHDL 1 10-28-2003 10:46 AM
R: decoder Max VHDL 1 09-09-2003 03:10 PM
decoder Max VHDL 2 09-09-2003 03:01 PM
newbie question about decoder Max VHDL 0 09-03-2003 01:44 PM

Advertisments