Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Nero Express 6 problem cannot copy longer DVD

Nero Express 6 problem cannot copy longer DVD

Terry C

Hi All

I have Nero Express 6 installed have been making
copy's of DVD's OK but when I need to copy a
DVD that is longer than 2 hours it will not copy it

What do need to change etc my wife is going
mad she needs copy's of some R&B dvds that
are longer than 2 hours need to earn brownie points
please help

Terry C

def456

"Terry C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi All
>
> I have Nero Express 6 installed have been making
> copy's of DVD's OK but when I need to copy a
> DVD that is longer than 2 hours it will not copy it
>
> What do need to change etc my wife is going
> mad she needs copy's of some R&B dvds that
> are longer than 2 hours need to earn brownie points
> please help
>
> Terry C

How big are your files to be copied? Ordinary single layer DVDs hold 4.7 GB
maximum, while double layer DVDs can hold up to 8.5 GB.

Doug Jacobs

Terry C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All

> I have Nero Express 6 installed have been making
> copy's of DVD's OK but when I need to copy a
> DVD that is longer than 2 hours it will not copy it

Sounds like the problem is that your burner can only handle the single
layer burnable DVDs which have a capacity of about 4.7GB (~2 hrs of video).
Dual layer DVDs can hold up to 9.4GB.

> What do need to change etc my wife is going
> mad she needs copy's of some R&B dvds that
> are longer than 2 hours need to earn brownie points
> please help

Well, one thing you can try is DVDShrink. It's a freeware program that
will allow you to copy a DVD to your hard drive, then modify it in various
ways. You can instruct DVDShrink to drop certain features like the menus,
special features, addition soundtracks, subtitle tracks, etc. This is
useful for helping trim the size down so it'll fit on a single layer
burnable DVD.

Another thing you can do with DVDShrink is have it re-encode the whole DVD
(or just parts) to use a higher compression rate. This will result in
smaller files, but may also result in lower video quality. However it is a
good way to get the size of your DVD under that 4.7GB limit. Just be
warned, it could take hours for DVDShrink to complete this operation.
You'd usually want to start it before going to bed.

DVDShrink is very easy to use - and will integrate with Nero directly, so
once you are finished tweaking the files with DVDShrink, just click the
"Burn" button, and it'll instruct Nero to do the rest.

Alternatively, you could go and buy a newer DVD burner that can handle
dual-layer discs. There may be compatibility issues with these dual-layer
blanks and your DVD player, so check your documentation first.

If you decide to go this route, I reccomend buying an external USB DVD
burner. This allows you to easily move the burner between multiple PCs or
laptops. Performance is the same, and is only slighly more expensive than
the internal version of the same model.

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

mwebsurfer

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> Terry C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi All

>>I have Nero Express 6 installed have been making
>>copy's of DVD's OK but when I need to copy a
>>DVD that is longer than 2 hours it will not copy it

> Sounds like the problem is that your burner can only handle the single
> layer burnable DVDs which have a capacity of about 4.7GB (~2 hrs of video).
> Dual layer DVDs can hold up to 9.4GB.
>

>>What do need to change etc my wife is going
>>mad she needs copy's of some R&B dvds that
>>are longer than 2 hours need to earn brownie points
>>please help

> Well, one thing you can try is DVDShrink. It's a freeware program that
> will allow you to copy a DVD to your hard drive, then modify it in various
> ways. You can instruct DVDShrink to drop certain features like the menus,
> special features, addition soundtracks, subtitle tracks, etc. This is
> useful for helping trim the size down so it'll fit on a single layer
> burnable DVD.
>
> Another thing you can do with DVDShrink is have it re-encode the whole DVD
> (or just parts) to use a higher compression rate. This will result in
> smaller files, but may also result in lower video quality. However it is a
> good way to get the size of your DVD under that 4.7GB limit. Just be
> warned, it could take hours for DVDShrink to complete this operation.
> You'd usually want to start it before going to bed.
>
> DVDShrink is very easy to use - and will integrate with Nero directly, so
> once you are finished tweaking the files with DVDShrink, just click the
> "Burn" button, and it'll instruct Nero to do the rest.
>

> Alternatively, you could go and buy a newer DVD burner that can handle
> dual-layer discs. There may be compatibility issues with these dual-layer
> blanks and your DVD player, so check your documentation first.
>
> If you decide to go this route, I reccomend buying an external USB DVD
> burner. This allows you to easily move the burner between multiple PCs or
> laptops. Performance is the same, and is only slighly more expensive than
> the internal version of the same model.

I use dvdshrink and it usually takes 15 min. or less to shrink a dvd. My
pc is a 3.4 ghz intel.

Doug Jacobs

mwebsurfer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I use dvdshrink and it usually takes 15 min. or less to shrink a dvd. My
> pc is a 3.4 ghz intel.

Ah, that's good to know.

I've been doing my DVD stuff on a 1.something Ghz Intel based Dell laptop
with 512MB of RAM. Reliable, but not speedy