Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD/VCR combos any good?

DVD/VCR combos any good?

TissuePaper

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at the
Sony SLV-D370P).

Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player and
vcr?

Mike S.

In article <45dd1727$0$28154$(E-Mail Removed)>,
TissuePaper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at the
>Sony SLV-D370P).
>
>Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player and
>vcr?

Most people here recommend getting separates unless space is the single
overriding factor. Either the VCR or DVD section will eventually break
before the other, leaving you with a half-functional machine.

That said, VCR-omly units are getting tougher and tougher to find.

Sudy Nim

"Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:erk5ve$3ru$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In article <45dd1727$0$28154$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> TissuePaper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at

the
> >Sony SLV-D370P).
> >
> >Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player

and
> >vcr?

> Most people here recommend getting separates unless space is the single
> overriding factor. Either the VCR or DVD section will eventually break
> before the other, leaving you with a half-functional machine.
>
> That said, VCR-omly units are getting tougher and tougher to find.

Not much to chose from in VCR's today. Personally I would stay away from
both Sony and Panasonic unless you find one that cost BIG money. The $200 to
$300 range, are all junk. Avoid the JVC brand except maybe the JVC VCR
HMDT100U for $1199.00. If you (have too) get a Sony. Just purchased a
Christmas present for a family member, it was a combination DVD and VCR.
Still works OK and the only complaint is the small remote size.

Toshiba DVD/VCR Combo SDV394
Regular Price: $ 99.99
Featured Price: $ 93.00

Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD/VCR Combo - SDV394/ JPEG Viewer/ WMA/MP3
Playback/ Virtual Surround Sound/ Simultaneous DVD playback And VHS Record/
ColorStream Pro Component Video Output/ Auto Clock Set/ 4-Head/19-Micron
Hi-Fi Stereo VHS Playback/ Silver Finish
In Stock / Free Shipping

http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/22346.html

I do not have any connection to this company but I have purchased several
products from them. I never had a problem returning anything and their
pricing is good and sales are great to watch for, just my 2 worth.

Walter Traprock

"Sudy Nim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not much to chose from in VCR's today. Personally I would stay away from
> both Sony and Panasonic unless you find one that cost BIG money.

Pshaw. I'd say the Panasonic pure VCR is just fine at sixty dollars
last year.

The combo idea seems stupid. Get separates.

Gene E. Bloch

On 2/21/2007, TissuePaper posted this:
> I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at the
> Sony SLV-D370P).
>
> Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player and
> vcr?

Since it's the grandparents, a combo might be the best thing, if
they're not too technically literate.

If some people's remarks are correct, you might have to get them
another unit before very long (what, a couple of years from now?). If
you don't mind that, go for it.

Check it out before you buy or send it, though. We got a VCR for my
partner's mother, who was about 88 at the time. Its user interface was
so user hostile that we returned it the next day and got another. Heck,
I couldn't've used it myself. Note: no snide remarks accepted

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Doug Jacobs

In alt.video.dvd TissuePaper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at the
> Sony SLV-D370P).

> Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player and
> vcr?

I have a Panasonic VCR/DVD-recorder which works pretty well, but its way
more complicated than if we had just bought a separate DVD-recorder and
VCR. It also has the unfortunate tendency to freeze up about once a
month, requiring us to unplug it for a few seconds before plugging it back
in to get it to respond to commands again.

If your grandparents aren't going to use the VCR part at all, I'd
reccomend just getting a simple, standalone DVD player.

I also heartily agree with the other poster's tip about trying out the
device. I bought my grandma a new TV to replace her old one. I tried to
find a set with a nice simple remote, but ended up getting her a set that
has some rather odd and STUPID quirks. No wonder it was on sale...
Fortunatly, Grandma is used to punching in her channel numbers directly
(she only cares about a few) and we wrote down directions for her on how
to use the DVD player, so she can watch videos of her grandchildren.
That's good enough for her.

I don't know who some of these companies hire to do their HID, but they
should actually TRY using their own products once in awhile to make sure
that they're actually usable by a human being who doesn't havea BS in
electrical engineering.

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

Gene E. Bloch

On 2/23/2007, Doug Jacobs posted this:

<SNIP>

> I don't know who some of these companies hire to do their HID, but they
> should actually TRY using their own products once in awhile to make sure
> that they're actually usable by a human being who doesn't havea BS in
> electrical engineering.

Amen.

Actually, many aren't usable by anyone, even the above mentioned
engineer. I suspect only the respective designers know how to use
them...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Load combos =?Utf-8?B?QWxoYW1icmEgRWlkb3MgS2lxdWVuZXQ=?= ASP .Net 1 06-07-2007 12:06 PM
Are there any good HD recorder / DVD recorder combos? GeorgeK DVD Video 0 06-13-2006 09:49 PM
DVD/VCR Combos Tom DVD Video 0 10-02-2005 10:44 PM
ULTRA cheap DVD combos RichA DVD Video 3 03-16-2005 01:35 AM
Newbie Question: DVD-VCR Combos Cristoir DVD Video 11 12-22-2004 08:04 PM

Advertisments