Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > dvd copier for free?

dvd copier for free?

vinnie

does anyone know a free easy dvd copier (to make back up of my
movies)? Since i love a lot playing with the camcoder, i wish to find
something for free (if possible) that allows me to make a back up copy
of any dvd i have at home.

also, since i got married few year ago, and i have 2 "devils" kids
they have already broken 4 dvd!!! Is it legal to make a back up copy
of the dvds that i buy? If yes, how can i do that? (please help me,
i'm not expert!!)

Thanks a lot !!!
Vinnie

Stuart Miller

"vinnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> does anyone know a free easy dvd copier (to make back up of my
> movies)? Since i love a lot playing with the camcoder, i wish to find
> something for free (if possible) that allows me to make a back up copy
> of any dvd i have at home.

two technologies here - computer dvd bruner, or stand alone dvd recorder
which are you using?

For non commercial work, the burner will function witht he software packaged
with it.
The recorder should function just like a vcr.

> also, since i got married few year ago, and i have 2 "devils" kids
> they have already broken 4 dvd!!! Is it legal to make a back up copy
> of the dvds that i buy? If yes, how can i do that? (please help me,
> i'm not expert!!)
>
> Thanks a lot !!!
> Vinnie

I use the combination if CloveDVD2 (copier) and AnyDVD ( 'driver' to remove
macrovision) to make movie only dvd's for the grandchildren. This way it is
just load and play - no menus to mess with. I'm on copy number 5 of one
popular movie.

Copyright laws vary in each country, but generally it is fine to duplicate
commercial dvd's for you own use, and if you keep the original. Making a
copy of a rented or borrowed movie would not be allowed (although many
people do it) and passing the original along to someone else after keeping a
copy also would not be allowed, as these mean a loss of a sale for the
copyright holder.

There are other products available to do the same job

Copying DVD player or VHS player to DVD recorder is possible with a hardware
device called an image stabilizer (macrovision remover).

Stuart

Doug Jacobs

vinnie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> also, since i got married few year ago, and i have 2 "devils" kids
> they have already broken 4 dvd!!! Is it legal to make a back up copy
> of the dvds that i buy? If yes, how can i do that? (please help me,
> i'm not expert!!)

Get DVDShrink, which lets you rip a DVD to your hard drive and remaster it
- allowing you to remove things like previews, menus, etc. This is good
if you're interested in creating a "just the movie" copy for the kids.
DVDShrink can integrate with Nero to then burn your copy to disc. While
some form of Nero is included with many DVD burners, it's worth the money
to buy if you don't have a copy already.

DVDShrink comes with decent documentation that walks you through the basic
operation of backing up a DVD.

Also, it's never too early to start teaching the young'uns how to handle
DVDs - even if it means getting mommy/daddy to swap the disc for them.
Besides, it also helps teach them to start taking care of their stuff.
Heck, me and my siblings grew up when LPs and old 5.25" floppy disks were
the popular media storage devices. We were all carefully trained in how
to handle these much more fragile mediums. Violations were harshly dealt
with (loss of privileges.) It only took a few infractions to keep us in
line.

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98