Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > tv tuner/PVR cards

tv tuner/PVR cards

Smarty

Looks like we are both approaching the home TV solution with similar
approaches. I never tried to do a totally "home brew" solution, and have no
real desire to write VB scripts, HTML, etc. The Sage solution has just
sorta' "grown on me" in the sense that I have gradually kept adding more
clients # $99 as each family member complained that they wanted to watch it
in the kitchen, bedrooms, exercise room, etc. I will be adding HD capture
and playback here also in the near future and am still not sure if I want to
devote a second server to HDTV or put another card in the already crowded
SDTV box and risk overheating it.

I think this way of doing home TV is totally superb, and would never be
happy with a TiVo. I especially like the fact that Sage has codecs which
directly encode into formats I can take on the road and use portable or into
formats which make beautiful DVDs without any further transcoding in just 6
or 7 minutes to burn the disk.

Smarty
"Bill's News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d8aafb$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
>>
>> Hope this helps and answers your question.
>>

> Nice set up, Smarty! However, I felt constrained by this some years ago,
> even though SDTV was all that I could then display. I opted for PCs
> connected to TVs (most ever were three) because of all the features
> provided by the PC - superior video player software (most of it free) and
> local user functionality, of course including internet access.
>
> What I was recently pleased to discover was that, when I finally got
> around to HDTV capture, nothing else changed. The same edit software
> handles the data and the same player software handles wired/wireless
> transmission of HDTV programs with the same ease as SDTV. If the TV is
> SD, the picture is somewhat better, albeit letterbox. If the TV is HD
> then the image is exactly as transmitted originally. The 3 TVs are
> connected to their PCs via component, VGA, or DVI.
>
> So my little system is also "server" based, in that two PCs (one does HDTV
> capture, while the other does SDTV capture, separated because of software
> conflicts between the chosen vendors) provide wired playback to each other
> and the third PC receives wirelessly from either.
>
> I've not found it necessary to implement "Sage" or any other like it - I
> tried it years ago and didn't like it but can't recall why, so that's an
> unfair slur on my part.
>
> TitanTV, a customizable Guide, also interfaces to the schedulers provided
> by many PVRs - including both that I'm using. Sadly, the Hauppauge
> scheduler is not user-friendly and something like Sage is a big
> improvement over it (may have something to do with Hauppauge's catering to
> OEMs like Sage). The TitanTV site also has an OK "favorites" section but
> it only supports hits in the next 48 hours (they do support themselves
> with advertising, so it's somewhat understandable that they want to
> increase visits). It was not too difficult to write a VB program to fetch
> the favorites compilation and organize it somewhat more to my liking than
> Titan has. And, one nice thing about web based info is that HTML filters
> almost entirely eliminate the undesirable portions of such pages!
>
> Add to this "The Futon Critic" a great site for what's new in future prime
> time - worth a monthly visit to see what might be of interest in coming
> months. I've scheduled programs predicted by TFC months in advance and
> most recorded as planned (NBC is unpredictable as they try desperately and
> ineffectively to dig themselves out of their last place hole - hell they
> cancel shows at the twitch of an eyebrow of right-wing, red state,
> red-neck viewers;-0). But I digress.
>
> My system is perhaps more techie to schedule but certainly not to set up
> nor run - truly plug-n-play, if one is networking PCs anyway. Hell, using
> wireless keyboards, even female visitors can select a recording from the
> network and play it on the TV they're looking at'-0) Sorry ladies, I
> could not resist! I'm recommending three failed Marys to a four hour

Bill's News

"Smarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Looks like we are both approaching the home TV solution with
> similar approaches. I never tried to do a totally "home brew"
> solution, and have no real desire to write VB scripts, HTML,
> etc. The Sage solution has just sorta' "grown on me" in the
> sense that I have gradually kept adding more clients # $99 as
> each family member complained that they wanted to watch it in
> the kitchen, bedrooms, exercise room, etc. I will be adding HD
> capture and playback here also in the near future and am still
> not sure if I want to devote a second server to HDTV or put
> another card in the already crowded SDTV box and risk
> overheating it.
>

> I think this way of doing home TV is totally superb, and would
> never be happy with a TiVo. I especially like the fact that
> Sage has codecs which directly encode into formats I can take
> on the road and use portable or into formats which make
> beautiful DVDs without any further transcoding in just 6 or 7
> minutes to burn the disk.
>
> Smarty

Both of your posts are compelling;-0) I think it would be worth
re-testing Sage here to see whether it might not have the
conflict between these two capture devices that their own
software does? Sometime next week I expect to have time for
that and am leaving a note for myself right now. Thanks for
sharing.

Smarty

Glad to help Bill. Many other people on the Sage forum have been mixing HD
and SD capture on the same server, and apparently the software handles the
whole shebang nicely. You might take a look at their User Forum and see all
of the thousands of posts and get a feeling for how people use and like /
dislike their products. Also, their software has free 30 day totally
functional trials which allow you a total evaluation at no risk.

Smarty

"Bill's News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d982d2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Smarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Looks like we are both approaching the home TV solution with similar
>> approaches. I never tried to do a totally "home brew" solution, and have
>> no real desire to write VB scripts, HTML, etc. The Sage solution has just
>> sorta' "grown on me" in the sense that I have gradually kept adding more
>> clients # $99 as each family member complained that they wanted to watch
>> it in the kitchen, bedrooms, exercise room, etc. I will be adding HD
>> capture and playback here also in the near future and am still not sure
>> if I want to devote a second server to HDTV or put another card in the
>> already crowded SDTV box and risk overheating it.
>>

>> I think this way of doing home TV is totally superb, and would never be
>> happy with a TiVo. I especially like the fact that Sage has codecs which
>> directly encode into formats I can take on the road and use portable or
>> into formats which make beautiful DVDs without any further transcoding in
>> just 6 or 7 minutes to burn the disk.
>>
>> Smarty

> Both of your posts are compelling;-0) I think it would be worth
> re-testing Sage here to see whether it might not have the conflict between
> these two capture devices that their own software does? Sometime next
> week I expect to have time for that and am leaving a note for myself right
> now. Thanks for sharing.

Doug Jacobs

Geena Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Alas, no Tivo for me... Where I am it's pretty much a monopoly with one
> > cable provider, the only alternative being satellite which my co-op doesn't
> > allow.

> The FCC issued a rule several years ago that homeowners' associations
> and land covenants CANNOT prohibit satellite dishes below a certain size.

That doesn't mean they can't try... I've yet to hear about a HOA that
WASN'T a capital PITA with regards to how they treated their
residents/members.

Assuming the HOA won't listen to reason, the OP would pretty much have
to drag them into court. Even that might not do it as the HOA could do
other things to make the OP's life...uncomfortable.

While this COULD be overcome, the OP has to ask if it's worth the time,
money and invoking the wrath of the HOA.

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98