Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > tv tuner/PVR cards

tv tuner/PVR cards

gadjo

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:er4q05$bnb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <er4j8n$p61$(E-Mail Removed)>, "gadjo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>"Doug Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> What's wrong with getting a true Tivo? The 80 hour model is free,
>>> though
>>> you have to buy the monthly service to use it. If you pay for a year or
>>> two up front, you get a discount. Cheaper and easier than putting
>>> together a PVR. We bought a DVD-burner, and plugged out Tivo into that
>>> so
>>> we can dump shows onto DVD. We just pause the burner while we skip
>>> through the commericals. Works pretty well.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
>>> http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

>>Alas, no Tivo for me... Where I am it's pretty much a monopoly with one
>>cable provider, the only alternative being satellite which my co-op
>>doesn't
>>allow.
>>

> I will never understand why anyone would continue to live in an area where
> you
> place so many restrictions on yourself.

Believe me it's tough to get away from this no-satellite regulation here, if
I was renting it would still be an issue since most high-rises don't allow a
sat-dish. I'ld practically have to sell my place and relocate somewhere in
the countryside...and even then who knows...
Plus it's a really nice area where I am right now... )

>>The cable provider I'm with does provide their own PVR's, either rented or
>>at a hefty price, and it's not even clear that it can interface with other
>>devices... Anyway I'll end up paying more and getting less than what a
>>dedicated PVR is capable of.

Doug Jacobs

gadjo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Alas, no Tivo for me... Where I am it's pretty much a monopoly with one
> cable provider, the only alternative being satellite which my co-op doesn't
> allow.

The Series2 Tivo is "stand alone", meaning it can take input from an
antenna, standard cable, cable box, or satellite box. The Tivo can change
the channel on your cable box, but this means that you won't be able to
watch another channel on your TV while the Tivo is recording something
unless the TV has its own cable box. In reality this isn't much of a
problem anyways. After the Tivo has been running for a few weeks, you'll
usually have more than enough recorded content that you won't be watching
"regular" TV anymore. Again, there is a monthly fee, which is probably
higher than what your cable provider is charging but so far, none of the
other providers' PVR have approached Tivo in terms of usability and
stability.

> The cable provider I'm with does provide their own PVR's, either rented or
> at a hefty price, and it's not even clear that it can interface with other
> devices... Anyway I'll end up paying more and getting less than what a
> dedicated PVR is capable of.

This would replace your current cable tuner with one that has the PVR
built into it. You could still plug it into your PC, though I don't know
what that would do for you, since the PVR in the cable box would be in
control of what channel was being recorded...

Of course, one of the advantages of the build-it-yourself PVR (like MythTV)
is that you can add much larger hard drives and have access to other features,
such as burning shows to DVD or adding additional tuners, allowing you to
record multiple channels at once.

--

gadjo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've given this much thought, and I just can't justify the cost... For the
> same price I could get another more powerful PC. When I say this I'm
> comparing the decent PVR's with fairly large HDD's (160-250GB) by
> LG/Pioneer/Sony. I've looked at reviews for the cheaper brands, too many
> issues with hard drives freezing.

http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.a...=prepaid3yr349

This is a 180hr(*) Tivo for $170 and pre-paid service for 3 years. The
price for the box reflects a $180 discount if you buy directly from
Tivo.com. Be sure to check your local stores though, as they sometimes
have better deals available. In addition, pre-paying for 3 years of service
gives you another $150 off (essentially, you're getting 1 year free)

This model includes 2 tuners, allowing you to record 2 different channels
at once - you'll have to check with your current cable system to see if
you can get any channels without your cable box (like the non-digital
ones) If not, you would need 2 separate cable boxes if you wanted to take
advantage of the Tivo's 2nd tuner.

There is a series 3 Tivo which has an even larger HDD, but is aimmed at
recording HDTV signals. Because of this, it's still very expensive and
there have been more than a few problems reported with it. Even if you
have HDTV right now, I'd wait awhile before getting a HDTV capable Tivo.

(*) this unit includes a 180GB HDD and has the ability to record at
different quality settings. The lowest setting, "Basic", gives you about
1GB/hr, whereas the highest setting, "Best", will give you about
2.5-3GB/hr. Actual quality will depend on the strength of your cable
signal, your TV and your eyeballs. I record most stuff at "High", which
is the 2nd highest setting and it's pretty close to the actual cable
picture. If you want to later re-record a show onto DVD or VHS, it is
suggested you use the "Best" setting. Also, depending on how technical
you are, it is possible to replace the hard drive inside your Tivo with 1
or 2 larger units. If this is something that interests you, get the
smaller, 80Hr unit instead.

> One other point I should have mentioned, I don't have conventional cable
> with 125 channels, I can only tune into one channel at a time, meaning I
> have to watch what I record. That in itself is not a big deal, the decoders
> are cheap so I can just get a second one from my cable provider, and hook it
> up to my PC. My point is that I dont really need a true dedicated PVR
> because it's useful features would be wasted in my case.

So you have digital cable, or is your service so old that you even need a
cable tuner to get what most of us would call "Basic" or "Basic+Extended"
cable? If you plug your cable directly into your TV (by-passing your
cable tuner box), can it tune any stations in at all?

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

GMAN

In article <er4tk1$cpl$(E-Mail Removed)>, "gadjo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:er4q05$bnb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <er4j8n$p61$(E-Mail Removed)>, "gadjo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Doug Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Alas, no Tivo for me... Where I am it's pretty much a monopoly with one
>>>cable provider, the only alternative being satellite which my co-op
>>>doesn't
>>>allow.
>>>

>> I will never understand why anyone would continue to live in an area where
>> you
>> place so many restrictions on yourself.
>>

>Believe me it's tough to get away from this no-satellite regulation here, if
>I was renting it would still be an issue since most high-rises don't allow a
>sat-dish. I'ld practically have to sell my place and relocate somewhere in
>the countryside...and even then who knows...
>Plus it's a really nice area where I am right now... )

Well you made it sound like you lived in one of those gated communities. I can
see in a hi rise where it might be a problem putting a dish hanging out the
window. My comment was primarily for those uppity gated communities.

gadjo

> [...]

>> One other point I should have mentioned, I don't have conventional cable
>> with 125 channels, I can only tune into one channel at a time, meaning I
>> have to watch what I record. That in itself is not a big deal, the
>> decoders
>> are cheap so I can just get a second one from my cable provider, and hook
>> it
>> up to my PC. My point is that I dont really need a true dedicated PVR
>> because it's useful features would be wasted in my case.

> So you have digital cable, or is your service so old that you even need a
> cable tuner to get what most of us would call "Basic" or "Basic+Extended"
> cable? If you plug your cable directly into your TV (by-passing your
> cable tuner box), can it tune any stations in at all?
>
> --
> Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!

Herein lies the problem....stupid cable monopoly in my area provides
decoders without which I can't even get the majority of the "Basic"
channels, because now I fall under the Digital Subscriber category so they
ensure by filtering the signal that I'm prevented from accessing the old
Basic stuff. I can switch back to the basic service, but then I miss out on
the specialty channels that I'm interested in. If I by-pass the tuner box I
get maybe a dozen channels (stuff like the weather channel, a few local
channels...) but those are not the ones I'm interested in recording.

One way or another I'll need a second tuner, whether I use a dedicated
PVR/Tivo/PVR Card...otherwise I'm stuck with watching what I record. As it
stands, it just doesnt make sense to spend $400 or more on a decent PVR if I
can get the same job done with a $80 pvr card for my pc...

Smarty

I've been using Hauppauge PVR cards for several years along with SageTV
software. I am totally satisfied with what this combination does, and no
TiVO or cable company equipment can remotely approximate what this set-up
does. It has no monthly costs, records multiple channels simultaneously,
plays back multiple shows simultaneously for family members to view, stores
content in a very wide variety of formats including those directly playable
on DVD players, DiVX players, very cheap $99 set-top media players, and
pocket players, and also supports HDTV formats as well. I started with a
single recording channel at 1 playback TV / monitor, and now have built it
to 6 playback locations and 2 simultaneous recordings. The Hauppauge PVR
cards cost about 60 bucks, and their hardware MPEG encoder does an excellent
job of encoding excellent video. A TV set in your house can be hooked up for
$99 and requires no computer except for the recording server, which can be
connected either through a wireless 802.11.b link or with a wired
connection.

This system was recommended to me a couple years ago when I went looking for
suggestions on another newsgroup. I have been totally satisfied, and have
helped a number of friends and relatives with similar systems with great
success. I can't recommend it highly enough, and suggest you might use the
30 day trial of the SageTV software to check it out.

Smarty

"gadjo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:er59q6$1ht$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> Herein lies the problem....stupid cable monopoly in my area provides
> decoders without which I can't even get the majority of the "Basic"
> channels, because now I fall under the Digital Subscriber category so they
> ensure by filtering the signal that I'm prevented from accessing the old
> Basic stuff. I can switch back to the basic service, but then I miss out
> on the specialty channels that I'm interested in. If I by-pass the tuner
> box I get maybe a dozen channels (stuff like the weather channel, a few
> local channels...) but those are not the ones I'm interested in recording.
>
> One way or another I'll need a second tuner, whether I use a dedicated
> PVR/Tivo/PVR Card...otherwise I'm stuck with watching what I record. As it
> stands, it just doesnt make sense to spend $400 or more on a decent PVR if
> I can get the same job done with a $80 pvr card for my pc...

Geena Phillips

gadjo wrote:
> "Doug Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> gadjo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to set up a homebrew PVR using my pc and I'm looking for video
>>> card recommendations. I've looked at some reviews, Hauppauge is often
>>> mentioned, any good/bad/ugly experiences ? It's time to retire the old
>>> VCR
>>> and I dont wanna spend too much on a dedicated PVR. I dont really need
>>> the
>>> chase-replay features like on Tivo, I'm not even a DVD collector, I just
>>> want something to record my favourite shows when I'm out...

>> What's wrong with getting a true Tivo? The 80 hour model is free, though
>> you have to buy the monthly service to use it. If you pay for a year or
>> two up front, you get a discount. Cheaper and easier than putting
>> together a PVR. We bought a DVD-burner, and plugged out Tivo into that so
>> we can dump shows onto DVD. We just pause the burner while we skip
>> through the commericals. Works pretty well.
>>

>> --
>> Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
>> http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

> Alas, no Tivo for me... Where I am it's pretty much a monopoly with one
> cable provider, the only alternative being satellite which my co-op doesn't
> allow.

The FCC issued a rule several years ago that homeowners' associations
and land covenants CANNOT prohibit satellite dishes below a certain size.

Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
(The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

"Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
--LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

"Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
--me

"This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
--Tony Bourdain

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
but at the very least you need a beer."
-- Frank Zappa

"I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
it's the best thing in the world."
-- Alton Brown

"The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
all history."
-- Robert Heinlein

Justin

Smarty wrote on [Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:08:19 -0500]:
> I've been using Hauppauge PVR cards for several years along with SageTV
> software. I am totally satisfied with what this combination does, and no
> TiVO or cable company equipment can remotely approximate what this set-up
> does. It has no monthly costs, records multiple channels simultaneously,
> plays back multiple shows simultaneously for family members to view, stores
> content in a very wide variety of formats including those directly playable
> on DVD players, DiVX players, very cheap $99 set-top media players, and
> pocket players, and also supports HDTV formats as well. I started with a
> single recording channel at 1 playback TV / monitor, and now have built it
> to 6 playback locations and 2 simultaneous recordings. The Hauppauge PVR
> cards cost about 60 bucks, and their hardware MPEG encoder does an excellent
> job of encoding excellent video. A TV set in your house can be hooked up for
> $99 and requires no computer except for the recording server, which can be
> connected either through a wireless 802.11.b link or with a wired
> connection.

Would you mind mentioning part numbers ?

Smarty

Glad to. The PVR cards I use are PVR-150 and I have 2 installed. They have
released a newer version of the PVR card which is the PVR-250. The playback
units in some of my rooms are also Hauppauge Media Extenders. They make a
wired version for $99 and a wireless version for about $139/

SageTV from FreyTechnologies is the software. The recording PVR software is
called SageTV Server and is around $60 or $70. The client software, if you
decide to use another PC as a client is Called SageTV Client for $29.

The Hauppauge Media Extender mentioned above can be purchased directly from
Frey Technologies with a Sage client license for $99.

The electronic program guide is free, and very much like the TiVo. It also
has current weather info for your local area. The Sage software is a way
better and much more comprehensive product than TiVO, and allows me to view
and select all of my music, photos, DVDs, and 2 terabytes (2000 GB) of video
from any of the 6 TV's / monitors in my house.

Hope this helps and answers your question.

Smarty
"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Smarty wrote on [Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:08:19 -0500]:
>> I've been using Hauppauge PVR cards for several years along with SageTV
>> software. I am totally satisfied with what this combination does, and no
>> TiVO or cable company equipment can remotely approximate what this set-up
>> does. It has no monthly costs, records multiple channels simultaneously,
>> plays back multiple shows simultaneously for family members to view,
>> stores
>> content in a very wide variety of formats including those directly
>> playable
>> on DVD players, DiVX players, very cheap $99 set-top media players, and
>> pocket players, and also supports HDTV formats as well. I started with a
>> single recording channel at 1 playback TV / monitor, and now have built
>> it
>> to 6 playback locations and 2 simultaneous recordings. The Hauppauge PVR
>> cards cost about 60 bucks, and their hardware MPEG encoder does an
>> excellent
>> job of encoding excellent video. A TV set in your house can be hooked up
>> for
>> $99 and requires no computer except for the recording server, which can
>> be
>> connected either through a wireless 802.11.b link or with a wired
>> connection.

> Would you mind mentioning part numbers ?

Bill's News

"Smarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Glad to. The PVR cards I use are PVR-150 and I have 2
> installed. They have released a newer version of the PVR card
> which is the PVR-250. The playback units in some of my rooms
> are also Hauppauge Media Extenders. They make a wired version
> for $99 and a wireless version for about $139/
>
> SageTV from FreyTechnologies is the software. The recording
> PVR software is called SageTV Server and is around $60 or $70.
> The client software, if you decide to use another PC as a
> client is Called SageTV Client for $29.
>
> The Hauppauge Media Extender mentioned above can be purchased
> directly from Frey Technologies with a Sage client license for
> $99.
>
> The electronic program guide is free, and very much like the
> TiVo. It also has current weather info for your local area.
> The Sage software is a way better and much more comprehensive
> product than TiVO, and allows me to view and select all of my
> music, photos, DVDs, and 2 terabytes (2000 GB) of video from
> any of the 6 TV's / monitors in my house.
>
> Hope this helps and answers your question.

Nice set up, Smarty! However, I felt constrained by this some
years ago, even though SDTV was all that I could then display.
I opted for PCs connected to TVs (most ever were three) because
of all the features provided by the PC - superior video player
software (most of it free) and local user functionality, of
course including internet access.

What I was recently pleased to discover was that, when I finally
got around to HDTV capture, nothing else changed. The same edit
software handles the data and the same player software handles
wired/wireless transmission of HDTV programs with the same ease
as SDTV. If the TV is SD, the picture is somewhat better,
albeit letterbox. If the TV is HD then the image is exactly as
transmitted originally. The 3 TVs are connected to their PCs
via component, VGA, or DVI.

So my little system is also "server" based, in that two PCs (one
does HDTV capture, while the other does SDTV capture, separated
because of software conflicts between the chosen vendors)
provide wired playback to each other and the third PC receives
wirelessly from either.

I've not found it necessary to implement "Sage" or any other
like it - I tried it years ago and didn't like it but can't
recall why, so that's an unfair slur on my part.

TitanTV, a customizable Guide, also interfaces to the schedulers
provided by many PVRs - including both that I'm using. Sadly,
the Hauppauge scheduler is not user-friendly and something like
Sage is a big improvement over it (may have something to do with
Hauppauge's catering to OEMs like Sage). The TitanTV site also
has an OK "favorites" section but it only supports hits in the
next 48 hours (they do support themselves with advertising, so
it's somewhat understandable that they want to increase visits).
It was not too difficult to write a VB program to fetch the
favorites compilation and organize it somewhat more to my liking
than Titan has. And, one nice thing about web based info is
that HTML filters almost entirely eliminate the undesirable
portions of such pages!

Add to this "The Futon Critic" a great site for what's new in
future prime time - worth a monthly visit to see what might be
of interest in coming months. I've scheduled programs predicted
by TFC months in advance and most recorded as planned (NBC is
unpredictable as they try desperately and ineffectively to dig
themselves out of their last place hole - hell they cancel shows
at the twitch of an eyebrow of right-wing, red state, red-neck
viewers;-0). But I digress.

My system is perhaps more techie to schedule but certainly not
to set up nor run - truly plug-n-play, if one is networking PCs
anyway. Hell, using wireless keyboards, even female visitors
can select a recording from the network and play it on the TV
they're looking at'-0) Sorry ladies, I could not resist! I'm
recommending three failed Marys to a four hour father as a
penance.