Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 13 Blu-Ray titles "indefinitely delayed"

13 Blu-Ray titles "indefinitely delayed"

Jordan

Whoops... Sony's victory dance seems a little premature:

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=472

Fox Throws A Wrench Into Their March/April Blu-ray Plans
February 13, 2007

This morning several customers who pre-ordered a number of Fox and MGM
titles unexpectedly received an email from retailers either postponing
or canceling their order altogether. Something was up but nothing had
been announced by the studio signaling a catastrophic release day
event.

Moments ago we received word from Fox that 13 titles originally
scheduled for release in either March or April have been indefinitely
delayed. Call it the unlucky number 13 or steering clear of the recent
rash of new theatrical debuts slated for late March, but it would now
appear the once massive gap between upcoming Blu-ray and HD DVD
releases has temporarily shrunk. At least until Fox issues new
releases dates, which their announcement seems to indicate are on the
way sooner rather than later.

The titles affected by this massive shake-up include:

March

* Ice Age
* Dodgeball
* Commando
* Thomas Crown Affair
* Dances With Wolves

April

* Tristan & Isolde
* Dude Wheres My Car
* The Fly
* Turistas
* Hannibal
* Silence of the Lambs
* To Live and Die in LA

We'll be sure to pass along new release date information as soon as
Fox sends it along.

Joshua Zyber

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Whoops... Sony's victory dance seems a little premature:
>
> http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=472

This has been par for the course with Blu-ray studios, unfortunately.
They announce a huge slate of titles to build up buzz for the superior
software support the format has, and then delay or cancel large chunks
of them that they never had anywhere near readiness for release.

MassiveProng

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:06:43 -0500, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Whoops... Sony's victory dance seems a little premature:
>>
>> http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=472

>This has been par for the course with Blu-ray studios, unfortunately.
>They announce a huge slate of titles to build up buzz for the superior
>software support the format has, and then delay or cancel large chunks
>of them that they never had anywhere near readiness for release.

I think it would be funny to see the death of the format result from
bad choices made about the way the content is compiled together.

HD DVD utilized many of the same standards which already exist. I
am sure that HD DVD mastering sessions go much easier on the folks
doing them than Blu Turd discs do.

MI 3 is a good example. The front end menus on it are awesome
supercomputer segments. They spent a LOT of money making just those
title videos alone.

elrous0@pop.uky.edu

On Feb 14, 1:45 am, "Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Moments ago we received word from Fox that 13 titles originally
> scheduled for release in either March or April have been indefinitely
> delayed.

Dammit! I was really looking forward to finally seeing "Dude Where's
My Car" in 1080p too!

-Eric

Derek Janssen

> On Feb 14, 1:45 am, "Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Moments ago we received word from Fox that 13 titles originally

>>scheduled for release in either March or April have been indefinitely
>>delayed.

> Dammit! I was really looking forward to finally seeing "Dude Where's
> My Car" in 1080p too!

"Production issues"--
Translation: I sense another studio may be looking at those neat-o
double-sided disks...
'
Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Titles after name Brandon Baker Microsoft Certification 14 08-18-2005 09:29 AM
reduce square footage of menu titles? Splibbilla Firefox 0 04-09-2005 12:26 AM
Page titles Gilgamesh ASP .Net 3 12-05-2003 08:42 PM
MCDST - too many certification titles? What do you think? Michael MCSD 2 10-16-2003 02:59 PM
Tooltips on datagrid titles Stevie_mac ASP .Net 2 07-25-2003 01:26 PM

Advertisments