Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD to AVI or WMV software

DVD to AVI or WMV software

Laphan

Hi All

I've searched and searched and I can't find a decent DVD to AVI / WMV ripper
anywhere, especially a freeware one!

I've gone and got us a camcorder that records to DVD-R / DVD-RW and hasn't
got any cable outputs on it. Its a Canon DC100 and Canon have told me that
I need ripping software to get the data off so that I can mess around with
it in say MovieMaker and ultimately get it back on DVD.

I really like the simplicity of No1 DVD Ripper, ie select DVD, select format
(AVI, WMV, etc) and rip, but on my P4 3Ghz, 512MB, 250GB WinXP Pro SP2 PC it
took over 5 hours to rip a 1 hour 4 min DVD (home made one so no protection)
to AVI and the file size was 2.5GB !

Tried WMV and although the file size went down to 500MB it still took 4
hours!

Canon said DVD ripping would be as fast as downloading from tape to PC via
firewire, but this surely isn't right.

Does anybody know how to get realistic file sizes and rip times with this
software or one as simple?

My friend downloaded a 45 min episode of Prison Break as an AVI file and the
file size is only 340MB and the quality is great. How can this be so?

Is AVI better than WMV?

I tried the AVI xVid method, but Windows Media Player on machines that
didn't have this codec couldn't play it!

All I want is a very good video/audio quality file with a manageable file
size like the Prison Break file - am I asking too much?

Thanks for listening to my rant. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Bill's News

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I've searched and searched and I can't find a decent DVD to
> AVI / WMV ripper
> anywhere, especially a freeware one!
>
> I've gone and got us a camcorder that records to DVD-R /
> DVD-RW and hasn't
> got any cable outputs on it. Its a Canon DC100 and Canon have
> told me that
> I need ripping software to get the data off so that I can mess
> around with
> it in say MovieMaker and ultimately get it back on DVD.
>
> I really like the simplicity of No1 DVD Ripper, ie select DVD,
> select format
> (AVI, WMV, etc) and rip, but on my P4 3Ghz, 512MB, 250GB WinXP
> Pro SP2 PC it
> took over 5 hours to rip a 1 hour 4 min DVD (home made one so
> no protection)
> to AVI and the file size was 2.5GB !
>
> Tried WMV and although the file size went down to 500MB it
> still took 4
> hours!
>
> Canon said DVD ripping would be as fast as downloading from
> tape to PC via
> firewire, but this surely isn't right.
>
> Does anybody know how to get realistic file sizes and rip
> times with this
> software or one as simple?
>
> My friend downloaded a 45 min episode of Prison Break as an
> AVI file and the
> file size is only 340MB and the quality is great. How can
> this be so?
>
> Is AVI better than WMV?
>
> I tried the AVI xVid method, but Windows Media Player on
> machines that
> didn't have this codec couldn't play it!
>
> All I want is a very good video/audio quality file with a
> manageable file
> size like the Prison Break file - am I asking too much?
>
> Thanks for listening to my rant. Any help would be very much
> appreciated.

I've never tried NO1 Ripper. You will speed things up by:

a - Ripping the DVD in it's existing format to HDD other than C:
(this can be done by drag & drop from your DVDs). This will
take merely a few minutes.

b - Convert to AVI or WMV from the HDD holding the DVD copy to
another non-C: HDD drive.

Even without multiple hard drives, the processes will be speeded
somewhat by copying to HDD first.

Is there some reason you need to change the format from what is
stored on your DVDs to AVI (whatever encoder you may be using)
or WMV? There are editors which work with MPEG2 (VOB) files and
which preserve the encoding. Their results are then easily
authored and rewritten to DVD. These sorts of processes are
quite quick compared with altering the encoding.

Laphan

Hi Bill

Just want to get it in Windows MovieMaker, as this is the program we have
all agreed to use.

We're teachers you see and we're all a bit thick when it comes to IT :0)

Rgds

"Bill's News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d20714$(E-Mail Removed)...

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I've searched and searched and I can't find a decent DVD to
> AVI / WMV ripper
> anywhere, especially a freeware one!
>
> I've gone and got us a camcorder that records to DVD-R /
> DVD-RW and hasn't
> got any cable outputs on it. Its a Canon DC100 and Canon have
> told me that
> I need ripping software to get the data off so that I can mess
> around with
> it in say MovieMaker and ultimately get it back on DVD.
>
> I really like the simplicity of No1 DVD Ripper, ie select DVD,
> select format
> (AVI, WMV, etc) and rip, but on my P4 3Ghz, 512MB, 250GB WinXP
> Pro SP2 PC it
> took over 5 hours to rip a 1 hour 4 min DVD (home made one so
> no protection)
> to AVI and the file size was 2.5GB !
>
> Tried WMV and although the file size went down to 500MB it
> still took 4
> hours!
>
> Canon said DVD ripping would be as fast as downloading from
> tape to PC via
> firewire, but this surely isn't right.
>
> Does anybody know how to get realistic file sizes and rip
> times with this
> software or one as simple?
>
> My friend downloaded a 45 min episode of Prison Break as an
> AVI file and the
> file size is only 340MB and the quality is great. How can
> this be so?
>
> Is AVI better than WMV?
>
> I tried the AVI xVid method, but Windows Media Player on
> machines that
> didn't have this codec couldn't play it!
>
> All I want is a very good video/audio quality file with a
> manageable file
> size like the Prison Break file - am I asking too much?
>
> Thanks for listening to my rant. Any help would be very much
> appreciated.

I've never tried NO1 Ripper. You will speed things up by:

a - Ripping the DVD in it's existing format to HDD other than C:
(this can be done by drag & drop from your DVDs). This will
take merely a few minutes.

b - Convert to AVI or WMV from the HDD holding the DVD copy to
another non-C: HDD drive.

Even without multiple hard drives, the processes will be speeded
somewhat by copying to HDD first.

Is there some reason you need to change the format from what is
stored on your DVDs to AVI (whatever encoder you may be using)
or WMV? There are editors which work with MPEG2 (VOB) files and
which preserve the encoding. Their results are then easily
authored and rewritten to DVD. These sorts of processes are
quite quick compared with altering the encoding.

Cathy

http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I've searched and searched and I can't find a decent DVD to AVI / WMV
> ripper
> anywhere, especially a freeware one!
>
> I've gone and got us a camcorder that records to DVD-R / DVD-RW and hasn't
> got any cable outputs on it. Its a Canon DC100 and Canon have told me
> that
> I need ripping software to get the data off so that I can mess around with
> it in say MovieMaker and ultimately get it back on DVD.
>
> I really like the simplicity of No1 DVD Ripper, ie select DVD, select
> format
> (AVI, WMV, etc) and rip, but on my P4 3Ghz, 512MB, 250GB WinXP Pro SP2 PC
> it
> took over 5 hours to rip a 1 hour 4 min DVD (home made one so no
> protection)
> to AVI and the file size was 2.5GB !
>
> Tried WMV and although the file size went down to 500MB it still took 4
> hours!
>
> Canon said DVD ripping would be as fast as downloading from tape to PC via
> firewire, but this surely isn't right.
>
> Does anybody know how to get realistic file sizes and rip times with this
> software or one as simple?
>
> My friend downloaded a 45 min episode of Prison Break as an AVI file and
> the
> file size is only 340MB and the quality is great. How can this be so?
>
> Is AVI better than WMV?
>
> I tried the AVI xVid method, but Windows Media Player on machines that
> didn't have this codec couldn't play it!
>
> All I want is a very good video/audio quality file with a manageable file
> size like the Prison Break file - am I asking too much?
>
> Thanks for listening to my rant. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ken Maltby

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I've searched and searched and I can't find a decent DVD to AVI / WMV
> ripper
> anywhere, especially a freeware one!
>
> I've gone and got us a camcorder that records to DVD-R / DVD-RW and hasn't
> got any cable outputs on it. Its a Canon DC100 and Canon have told me
> that
> I need ripping software to get the data off so that I can mess around with
> it in say MovieMaker and ultimately get it back on DVD.
>
> I really like the simplicity of No1 DVD Ripper, ie select DVD, select
> format
> (AVI, WMV, etc) and rip, but on my P4 3Ghz, 512MB, 250GB WinXP Pro SP2 PC
> it
> took over 5 hours to rip a 1 hour 4 min DVD (home made one so no
> protection)
> to AVI and the file size was 2.5GB !
>
> Tried WMV and although the file size went down to 500MB it still took 4
> hours!
>
> Canon said DVD ripping would be as fast as downloading from tape to PC via
> firewire, but this surely isn't right.
>
> Does anybody know how to get realistic file sizes and rip times with this
> software or one as simple?
>
> My friend downloaded a 45 min episode of Prison Break as an AVI file and
> the
> file size is only 340MB and the quality is great. How can this be so?
>
> Is AVI better than WMV?
>
> I tried the AVI xVid method, but Windows Media Player on machines that
> didn't have this codec couldn't play it!
>
> All I want is a very good video/audio quality file with a manageable file
> size like the Prison Break file - am I asking too much?
>
> Thanks for listening to my rant. Any help would be very much appreciated.

You might want to check out the new Magix "Movie Edit Pro 12"
it claims special features to extract "Videos from DVD camcorders".
http://site.magix.net/english-us/hom...e-edit-pro-12/

Luck;
Ken

GM

> You might want to check out the new Magix "Movie Edit Pro 12"
> it claims special features to extract "Videos from DVD camcorders".
> http://site.magix.net/english-us/hom...e-edit-pro-12/

Drat, I just purchased version 11 at Christmas. I went on the site and did
not see an upgrade path from 11. Does anyone know if this is offered or do
I need to spend some bucks again. The features quoted would assist me.
Durn it
TIA
GM

Buchetamo

"GM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gqhGh.93647$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> You might want to check out the new Magix "Movie Edit Pro 12"
>> it claims special features to extract "Videos from DVD camcorders".
>> http://site.magix.net/english-us/hom...e-edit-pro-12/

> Drat, I just purchased version 11 at Christmas. I went on the site and did
> not see an upgrade path from 11. Does anyone know if this is offered or
> do I need to spend some bucks again. The features quoted would assist me.
> Durn it
> TIA
> GM

I think you are referring to a suggestion made by Ken Maltby before, since
I'm an inveterate follower of Ken's advice on the this newsgroup, I
immediately placed an order for a copy of Movie Edit Pro 12 & bought it at a
discount price $49.99 ($10 off the normal price) but it hasn't arrived
yet... Your experience does not surprise me, since the launching & the
special price only covered USA & Canada, before I placed my order I went to
Google & tried several times to find information as to whether both formats
PAL & NTSC were included in the software & only ONE single website had
anything to say about the new version 12, like if nobody knew about it. At
any rate I took the risk & ordered it...