Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format?

How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format?

vunet.us@gmail.com

Hello,
I live in the USA and someone from France asked me to buy a DVD movie
as a gift. I know that France has a different format for DVDs (Region
2 compared to American region 1).
Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?
Thank you.

Kimba W. Lion

>Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?

If it has to be Region 2, I would go to amazon.co.uk or amazon.fr. Have them
ship it to your friend.

vunet.us@gmail.com

On Feb 5, 3:37 pm, Kimba W. Lion <KimbaWLion> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?

> If it has to be Region 2, I would go to amazon.co.uk or amazon.fr. Have them
> ship it to your friend.

it does sound like an idea but I am afraid i have to buy it here, in
US. it's a gift, you see...
does it look like i have no other options? do they sell dvds region 2
in USA?

John Howells

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I live in the USA and someone from France asked me to buy a DVD movie
> as a gift. I know that France has a different format for DVDs (Region
> 2 compared to American region 1).
> Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?

Fundamentally you can't, as a US retailer would have no reason to supply
such disks to a market of R1 players unable to play them, where only an
extremely tiny minority of enthusiasts have all region players. There are a
very limited number of R0 disks, which means they will work in a player for
any region, but they can be difficult to determine, as many such are
nevertheless reported as R1 on the box. Some more recent 'catalogue' titles
(such as Adventures of Robin Hood, and Grand Prix) are marked as R1 to R4
inclusive on the disk, but reported as R1 on the box.

As already noted, your best bet is Amazon in the UK, France or Germany.

John Howells

Jonathan Brisby

Go to http://www.happyhunter.com/ and click the US flag. It'll then
let you search sites for your movie so it can be shipped to the USA.
Then you can wrap it with b-day paper or whatever the event and send
it on it's way. I get UK DVDs like this all the time. Plus you can
even search for a particular Region Code or all.

Cheers!

On 5 Feb 2007 12:28:36 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello,
>I live in the USA and someone from France asked me to buy a DVD movie
>as a gift. I know that France has a different format for DVDs (Region
>2 compared to American region 1).
>Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?
>Thank you.

Kimba W. Lion

Jonathan Brisby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Go to http://www.happyhunter.com/ and click the US flag. It'll then
>let you search sites for your movie so it can be shipped to the USA.
>Then you can wrap it with b-day paper or whatever the event and send
>it on it's way. I get UK DVDs like this all the time. Plus you can
>even search for a particular Region Code or all.

If gift wrap is the issue, it'd still be cheaper and faster to have Amazon
wrap it and ship it than to ship it overseas twice.

SoHillsGuy

On Feb 5, 3:37 pm, Kimba W. Lion <KimbaWLion> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?

> If it has to be Region 2, I would go to amazon.co.uk or amazon.fr. Have them
> ship it to your friend.

I'd also suggest going with amazon.co.uk. They are one of the few
online retailers who actually bother to drop the VAT in sales outside
of the UK. So, even after you click on a price to place an order, it
will end up being lower on the online shopping cart page.

Sean Black

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) writes
>Hello,
>I live in the USA and someone from France asked me to buy a DVD movie
>as a gift. I know that France has a different format for DVDs (Region
>2 compared to American region 1).

Are you sure they aren't already aware of this and already have a
multi-region player?

If they have just buy a standard US region 1 DVD.

Certainly most people in the UK have easy access to multi-region
players, I would imagine France would be the same.

--
Sean Black