Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Hmmm... DVD is only 540 horizontal resolution (according to the EIA)

Hmmm... DVD is only 540 horizontal resolution (according to the EIA)

MassiveProng

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:26:52 -0500, Dick Sidbury
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>In article <eq8ipm$acg$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Colin McFadyen) wrote:
>
>> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Doug Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writes:

>> >You're not the only one. I still use vi with tin, though I admit to moving
>> >to pine for email (much nicer than plain old 'mail').

>> I use nn with emacs, but with an 80x34 window. I find it *much* faster
>> to browse newsgroups using a text newsreader.
>>
>> Now there's a flame war that many young 'uns have never heard of...
>> vi vs. emacs

>Well I prefer joe but since it's not available on my mac, I suffer
>through with pico (or whatever comes up when I type pico.)
>
>dick
>-- for those of you who don't remember joe is basically wordstar.

Get the source, and make a MAC port, crybaby! :-]

SFTVratings

Low Life #3 wrote:
> "SFTVratings" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : Low Life #3 wrote:
> : > "SFTVratings" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> : >
> : > : Cool. I had a computer in 1986 (commodore=12, but no modem, no
> : > : printer.. My parents made me buy one piece at a time, so in 1985 was
> : > : the computer. 1986 was the disk drive. .....
> : >
> : > your *parents*? > please.
> :
> : Yes. I was only 14 in 1986. How much money did you have at age 14?
>
> ok, off the hook.. a child prodigy

Good. Given how loooong ago it was, most of the posters of this forum
(35 and younger) would have only been children or teens. And not
enough money to buy a ~$300 computer. They had to rely on the
generosity of their parents.

MassiveProng

On 6 Feb 2007 06:37:31 -0800, "SFTVratings"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

> most of the posters of this forum
>(35 and younger)

What a retarded assumption that remark is.

MassiveProng

On 6 Feb 2007 06:37:31 -0800, "SFTVratings"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>Low Life #3 wrote:
>> "SFTVratings" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> : Low Life #3 wrote:
>> : > "SFTVratings" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> : >
>> : > : Cool. I had a computer in 1986 (commodore=12, but no modem, no
>> : > : printer.. My parents made me buy one piece at a time, so in 1985 was
>> : > : the computer. 1986 was the disk drive. .....
>> : >
>> : > your *parents*? > please.
>> :
>> : Yes. I was only 14 in 1986. How much money did you have at age 14?
>>
>> ok, off the hook.. a child prodigy

>Good. Given how loooong ago it was, most of the posters of this forum
>(35 and younger) would have only been children or teens. And not
>enough money to buy a ~$300 computer. They had to rely on the
>generosity of their parents.

I don't remember any computers back then that were worth a **** that
were only $300.

Also, I never had multi hundred dollar gifts from my parents. There
were six kids, and we got maybe a 1 or 2 hundred dollar christmas each
year for each of us.

Rick Merrill

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> In alt.video.dvd Colin McFadyen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Now there's a flame war that many young 'uns have never heard of...
>> vi vs. emacs

> I don't know. I guess it depends on what field you're in.
>
> "VI or emacas?" was an actual question asked in an interview. I answered
> "vi" and the interviewer replied "Correct." I don't know if there's
> really an right answer there, or if the interviewer just wanted to see if
> I knew what he was talking about.
>
> One of my former bosses was a big emacs fan. He basically used emacs as
> his shell. He did everything with emacs. Mail, news, command shell...

That's nothing, I used to dream in TECO!

Stuart Miller

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Doug Jacobs wrote:
>> In alt.video.dvd Colin McFadyen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Now there's a flame war that many young 'uns have never heard of...
>>> vi vs. emacs

>> I don't know. I guess it depends on what field you're in.
>>
>> "VI or emacas?" was an actual question asked in an interview. I answered
>> "vi" and the interviewer replied "Correct." I don't know if there's
>> really an right answer there, or if the interviewer just wanted to see if
>> I knew what he was talking about.
>>
>> One of my former bosses was a big emacs fan. He basically used emacs as
>> his shell. He did everything with emacs. Mail, news, command shell...
>>

> That's nothing, I used to dream in TECO!

Hey I remember that one
DEC PDP-10 PDP-11 6 bit byte, 36 bit word
Made it very difficult to get lowercase letters on the line printer

That would be mid 70's

Stuart