Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Nineteen Eighty-Four

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Jonathan Brisby

Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

Richard C.

"Jonathan Brisby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
> pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
> everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

======================
My solution to this kind of problem was to get a second (actually 8th)
player that
plays all regions:

http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html

Plays everything.

WinField

Richard C. wrote:
> "Jonathan Brisby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
>> pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
>> everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

> ======================
> My solution to this kind of problem was to get a second (actually 8th)
> player that
> plays all regions:
>
> http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html
>
> Plays everything.

-+-+-+
Sharks!
And here I thought my 3 dvd-players (4, counting the spasmodic Apex) was
really up there on the charts.

Two out of the three play PALs. Once you live with this capability,
you'll never look back.

- win

Jonathan Brisby

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:08:58 -0800, "Richard C."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jonathan Brisby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
>> pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
>> everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

>======================
>My solution to this kind of problem was to get a second (actually 8th)
>player that
>plays all regions:
>
>http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html
>
>Plays everything.

Well I've been playing non R1 DVDs for years, I just play it back from
one of my computers onto the TV plus I gotta shitty cheap player that
I made region free. I'm just interested in getting it without the 4%
speed up. After watching a lot of them you start to notice the audio
difference.

The Man With No Name

"Jonathan Brisby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:08:58 -0800, "Richard C."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Jonathan Brisby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
>>> pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
>>> everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

>>======================
>>My solution to this kind of problem was to get a second (actually 8th)
>>player that
>>plays all regions:
>>
>>http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html
>>
>>Plays everything.

> Well I've been playing non R1 DVDs for years, I just play it back from
> one of my computers onto the TV plus I gotta shitty cheap player that
> I made region free. I'm just interested in getting it without the 4%
> speed up. After watching a lot of them you start to notice the audio
> difference.

In the case of 1984, the newer Region 2/4 is vastly superior to the old
Region 1.
Region 2/4 is dual-layer (the R1 is only single-layer) and, more
importantly, the R2/4 has the original muted color-scheme (unlike the R1)

I've never noticed PAL speed-up myself, but I would think that in this case
the R2/4 is worth getting just for all the other reasons. Besides, I think
most computer DVD-players have an option to play back PAL DVDs 4% slower.