Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to convert aspect ratios?

How to convert aspect ratios?

Kay

Hi, my brother-in-law gave us his wedding dvd but the genius
photographer managed to take the 4:3 original and encode it on the DVD
as 16:9, so that it plays only as a stretched letter box on a
conventional player or even PowerDVD (unless I hit ignore aspect
ration on PowerDVD and resize the window). If I use a player with a
digital output into my HDTV monitor then I can see the proper format.
Anyway, can anyone point me at some tools (if it's even possible) to
rip the DVD and reburn it in 4:3 format (or set the 4:3 flag or
whatever I need to do)?
Nothing is encrypted.
rgds

John Howells

"Kay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Hi, my brother-in-law gave us his wedding dvd but the genius
> photographer managed to take the 4:3 original and encode it on the DVD
> as 16:9, so that it plays only as a stretched letter box on a
> conventional player or even PowerDVD (unless I hit ignore aspect
> ration on PowerDVD and resize the window). If I use a player with a
> digital output into my HDTV monitor then I can see the proper format.
> Anyway, can anyone point me at some tools (if it's even possible) to
> rip the DVD and reburn it in 4:3 format (or set the 4:3 flag or
> whatever I need to do)?
> Nothing is encrypted.

If nothing is encrypted just copy the files to a new directory on the hard
disk. Check with PowerDVD that it can play the files from the hard disk.

Now Google for IFOEDIT and install it.

Go to the VIDEO_TS directory. Using IFOEDIT open each IFO file in turn, pick
the first item in the list in the top window, go down to offset 100, and
double click. In the dialog change the "4:3" to "16:9" at the left, and at
the right select "automatic letterbox" (or something like - I don't have the
program to hand right now). When you "save" the IFO it will offer to also
update the BUP, which you agree to.

Check with PowerDVD that things are as required and write the file set back
to a new DVD.

John Howells

Gilgamesh

"John Howells" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> Hi, my brother-in-law gave us his wedding dvd but the genius
>> photographer managed to take the 4:3 original and encode it on the DVD
>> as 16:9, so that it plays only as a stretched letter box on a
>> conventional player or even PowerDVD (unless I hit ignore aspect
>> ration on PowerDVD and resize the window). If I use a player with a
>> digital output into my HDTV monitor then I can see the proper format.
>> Anyway, can anyone point me at some tools (if it's even possible) to
>> rip the DVD and reburn it in 4:3 format (or set the 4:3 flag or
>> whatever I need to do)?
>> Nothing is encrypted.

> If nothing is encrypted just copy the files to a new directory on the hard
> disk. Check with PowerDVD that it can play the files from the hard disk.
>
> Now Google for IFOEDIT and install it.
>
> Go to the VIDEO_TS directory. Using IFOEDIT open each IFO file in turn,
> pick
> the first item in the list in the top window, go down to offset 100, and
> double click. In the dialog change the "4:3" to "16:9" at the left, and at
> the right select "automatic letterbox" (or something like - I don't have
> the
> program to hand right now). When you "save" the IFO it will offer to also
> update the BUP, which you agree to.
>
> Check with PowerDVD that things are as required and write the file set
> back
> to a new DVD.
>
> John Howells

Alternatively have your brother in law go back to the photographer telling
him he stuffed up and have him correct it instead of wasting your time.

Aphelion

Can't your player shrink the image so that it resembles 4:3? My Panasonic
does that for the purpose of allowing 4:3 material to fill the wide screen
with minimal side bars.

Kyle

"Kay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, my brother-in-law gave us his wedding dvd but the genius
> photographer managed to take the 4:3 original and encode it on the DVD
> as 16:9, so that it plays only as a stretched letter box on a
> conventional player or even PowerDVD (unless I hit ignore aspect
> ration on PowerDVD and resize the window). If I use a player with a
> digital output into my HDTV monitor then I can see the proper format.
> Anyway, can anyone point me at some tools (if it's even possible) to
> rip the DVD and reburn it in 4:3 format (or set the 4:3 flag or
> whatever I need to do)?
> Nothing is encrypted.
> rgds

John Howells

"John Howells" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> ... In the dialog change the "4:3" to "16:9" at the left, and at
> the right select "automatic letterbox" (or something like - I don't have

the
> program to hand right now).

Of course that should have been 'change the 16:9 to 4:3 ...' and 'deselect
"automatic letterbox"' (and the couple of other settings in that part of the
dialog it set).

John Howells

Kay

Bingo, worked great. Deselcted all the automatic letterbox stuff
tho.
rgds