Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Questions about Oppo DV-981HD

Questions about Oppo DV-981HD

Geena Phillips

I'm looking to hear from people who have used this player.

A) How well does it handle multi-region and PAL material?

B) Although it is optimized for HDTV displays, how is its performance on
standard definition sets? I don't have HDTV yet, but my current player
is six years old, and if I'm gonna replace it, I'd like to future-proof
a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
(The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

"Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
--LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

"Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
--me

"This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
--Tony Bourdain

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
but at the very least you need a beer."
-- Frank Zappa

"I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
it's the best thing in the world."
-- Alton Brown

"The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
all history."
-- Robert Heinlein

Doug Jacobs

Geena Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking to hear from people who have used this player.

> A) How well does it handle multi-region and PAL material?

I'm interested in this player as well. From the website, it sounds as if
it can convert PAL discs, so you won't need a separate convertor.

> B) Although it is optimized for HDTV displays, how is its performance on
> standard definition sets? I don't have HDTV yet, but my current player
> is six years old, and if I'm gonna replace it, I'd like to future-proof
> a bit.

HDTV arrives on Thursday (woot!) Would definitely like to replace my old
hacked DVD player with one that upscales. Not interested in
Blu-ray/HD-DVD at the moment.

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

You wrote:

> I'm looking to hear from people who have used this player.
>
> A) How well does it handle multi-region and PAL material?

There is a multi-region hack for it, and it does fine playing PAL. I have
the R4 release of "Holiday" (Cary Grant/Kate Hepburn).

> B) Although it is optimized for HDTV displays, how is its performance on
> standard definition sets?

Don't know as my displays are both HD - a 720p projector and a 1280x720p
LCD.

You wrote:

> Geena Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to hear from people who have used this player.

>> A) How well does it handle multi-region and PAL material?

> I'm interested in this player as well. From the website, it sounds as if
> it can convert PAL discs, so you won't need a separate convertor.

Correct.

OPPO DV-970HD ? Mike DVD Video 9 08-31-2006 11:05 PM
OPPO DV-970HD ? Mike DVD Video 12 08-04-2006 11:33 PM
OPPO OPDV971H DVD Player Ed Kim DVD Video 4 05-19-2005 04:33 AM
OPPO OPDV971H DVD Player Ed Kim DVD Video 0 05-06-2005 09:02 PM
OPPO PODV971H DVD Player Ed Kim DVD Video 0 05-06-2005 08:21 PM

Advertisments