Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Pioneer DVR-533H firmware disk for failed hard drive

Pioneer DVR-533H firmware disk for failed hard drive

hondgm@yahoo.com

I have a Pioneer DVR-533H-S with a failed hard drive. I replaced the
drive with information from pioneerfaq.info, but can't get my Timer
Recording to work. I've tried the images from that website, basically
4096K of data that is copied to the new drive with a Unix utility.
Doesn't work, the "Hard disk drive info is incorrect". I got a
firmware image from BitTorrent, which the DVR loaded without a hitch,
however I still don't have Timer Recordings. Instead it says "This
operation cannot be completed now" when I try accessing Timer
Recordings.

How do Pioneer service centers replace the drive? Everything works now
except TV Guide (could care less) and Timer Recordings! How do I get
Timer Recordings back?

Jomtien

> I got a
>firmware image from BitTorrent, which the DVR loaded without a hitch,
>however I still don't have Timer Recordings. Instead it says "This
>operation cannot be completed now" when I try accessing Timer
>Recordings.
>
>How do Pioneer service centers replace the drive? Everything works now
>except TV Guide (could care less) and Timer Recordings! How do I get
>Timer Recordings back?

I expect that you would need to reset the recorder (there must be a
button for this) and then redo the entire setup procedure.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/8vef5
UK TV overseas: http://tinyurl.com/6p73
BBC/ITV reception trouble? ; http://www.astra2d.com/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd.

Stan Brown

Sun, 21 Jan 2007 08:44:20 +0100 from Jomtien <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > How do I get Timer Recordings back?

Silly question I suppose, but have you called customer service? If
nothing else, it should be reported if the recorder came back from
the repair center needing additional work.

> I expect that you would need to reset the recorder (there must be a
> button for this) and then redo the entire setup procedure.

The 640, which I have, is quite similar. The manual says, under
"Resetting the Recorder":
1. Turn on the recorder.
2. Press and hold STOP on the recorder (not the remote).
3. Press STANDBY/ON on the recorder (not the remote).
4. Wait a second or two, then release both buttons.

I'll bet the above works on the 533 as well, but you could always
look in the manual under "Resettng the Recorder".

If you don't have your manual, you can download a copy from
> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...069745,00.html

You might want to do that in any event, since the indexes suck in
Pioneer DVDR manuals, and with a downloaded copy you can search the
text.

By the bye, AVS Forum at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106
has lots of very good peer help on Pioneer and other recorders. It's
even possible that your question about timer recordings was answered
there already.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

hondgm@yahoo.com

Stan Brown wrote:
> Sun, 21 Jan 2007 08:44:20 +0100 from Jomtien <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > How do I get Timer Recordings back?

> Silly question I suppose, but have you called customer service? If
> nothing else, it should be reported if the recorder came back from
> the repair center needing additional work.
>
> > I expect that you would need to reset the recorder (there must be a
> > button for this) and then redo the entire setup procedure.

> The 640, which I have, is quite similar. The manual says, under
> "Resetting the Recorder":
> 1. Turn on the recorder.
> 2. Press and hold STOP on the recorder (not the remote).
> 3. Press STANDBY/ON on the recorder (not the remote).
> 4. Wait a second or two, then release both buttons.
>
> I'll bet the above works on the 533 as well, but you could always
> look in the manual under "Resettng the Recorder".
>
> If you don't have your manual, you can download a copy from
> > http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...069745,00.html

> You might want to do that in any event, since the indexes suck in
> Pioneer DVDR manuals, and with a downloaded copy you can search the
> text.
>
> By the bye, AVS Forum at
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106
> has lots of very good peer help on Pioneer and other recorders. It's
> even possible that your question about timer recordings was answered
> there already.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
> other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm

This doesn't help. It's not a matter or resetting the recorder. I
replaced the failed hard drive, and now it's missing code on the hard
drive that makes the Timer Rec work. Stupid Pioneer should have put
everything on ROM, not on the hard drive.

dvdlibra

> This doesn't help. It's not a matter or resetting the recorder. I
> replaced the failed hard drive, and now it's missing code on the hard
> drive that makes the Timer Rec work. Stupid Pioneer should have put
> everything on ROM, not on the hard drive.

You need to have the test disc to fill in the required information when you
carry out repairs or replace the hdd. The disc enables a mode to complete
the hdd data needed to patch the firmware to avoid error messages and ensure
correct operation. You can even put a larger hard drive if you want, say
250Gb. If you need more help, contact me at dvd library uk. rgds,
Chipmaster.