Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > netflix downloads

netflix downloads

skip

Netflix is starting to let us download movies. Does anyone know if they can
be put on a DVD? I rather not watch a movie on my computer screen up in the
office when I have a 61 inch home theater downstairs,.

Derek Janssen

skip wrote:

> Netflix is starting to let us download movies. Does anyone know if they can
> be put on a DVD? I rather not watch a movie on my computer screen up in the
> office when I have a 61 inch home theater downstairs,.

At the moment, they say "Rentals", not (permanent) "Downloads", so I'm
guessing it's the above-mentioned Movielink complaint, through some
obscure and idiosyncratic bit of software that only works through
streaming Windows.

....Just a guess, though.

Derek Janssen (Netflix is about to Netflix themselves)

Doug Jacobs

skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
> Netflix is starting to let us download movies. Does anyone know if they can
> be put on a DVD? I rather not watch a movie on my computer screen up in the
> office when I have a 61 inch home theater downstairs,.

I thought they were allowing you to stream movies to your web browser on
your Windows computer. This isn't downloading as nothing gets stored so you
can't turn around and burn the movie to a DVD or something like that.

Also, you're only given a certain number of minutes each month, so it's
not like you're going to be able to sit there and stream endlessly. I
would also assume that for bandwidth concerns, these isn't going to be
a DVD quality picture either. Probably better than YouTube, but sadly
lacking if you were to connect your computer to your large screen TV.

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

Justin

Doug Jacobs wrote on [Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:00:18 -0000]:
> skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Netflix is starting to let us download movies. Does anyone know if they can
>> be put on a DVD? I rather not watch a movie on my computer screen up in the
>> office when I have a 61 inch home theater downstairs,.

> I thought they were allowing you to stream movies to your web browser on
> your Windows computer. This isn't downloading as nothing gets stored so you
> can't turn around and burn the movie to a DVD or something like that.

It is downloading. The fact that you can't burn it doesn't mean nothing
is downloaded.