Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HDMI switches

HDMI switches

CJ

Does anybody have any experience with HDMI switches? Is there any loss in
quality using them? I've got my Cable set top box connected to my TV using
my one HDMI connection now and want to get the Samsung Progressive Scan DVD
recorder with HD upconversion. In order to use both devices with HDMI and
the best HD signal quality, wouldn't I need two HDMI connections and thus
need a switch?

the_niner_nation

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Does anybody have any experience with HDMI switches? Is there any loss in
> quality using them? I've got my Cable set top box connected to my TV using
> my one HDMI connection now and want to get the Samsung Progressive Scan
> DVD recorder with HD upconversion. In order to use both devices with HDMI
> and the best HD signal quality, wouldn't I need two HDMI connections and
> thus need a switch?

I have a 4 input hdmi switch and there is absloutley no picture degradation
whatsoever with sky HD and a pioneer upsacaling dvd player feeding through
it.

My HDTV only has a single HDMI input, so the switch box is a real godsend.

CJ

"the_niner_nation" <niner_nation_sf49ers.com> wrote in message
news:45ac3a21$0$4805$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Does anybody have any experience with HDMI switches? Is there any loss in
>> quality using them? I've got my Cable set top box connected to my TV
>> using my one HDMI connection now and want to get the Samsung Progressive
>> Scan DVD recorder with HD upconversion. In order to use both devices with
>> HDMI and the best HD signal quality, wouldn't I need two HDMI connections
>> and thus need a switch?
>>

> I have a 4 input hdmi switch and there is absloutley no picture
> degradation whatsoever with sky HD and a pioneer upsacaling dvd player
> feeding through it.
>
> My HDTV only has a single HDMI input, so the switch box is a real godsend.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I've got a problem with my TV now. I pressed mute and
now the sound on my TV won't come back. The very odd thing is that the sound
works PERFECTLY when I've got my XBox 360 on, but not when I'm using HDMI
with the cable TV setup.

I have no idea what the deal is on this one.

Geena Phillips

CJ wrote:
> "the_niner_nation" <niner_nation_sf49ers.com> wrote in message
> news:45ac3a21$0$4805$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Does anybody have any experience with HDMI switches? Is there any loss in
>>> quality using them? I've got my Cable set top box connected to my TV
>>> using my one HDMI connection now and want to get the Samsung Progressive
>>> Scan DVD recorder with HD upconversion. In order to use both devices with
>>> HDMI and the best HD signal quality, wouldn't I need two HDMI connections
>>> and thus need a switch?
>>>

>> I have a 4 input hdmi switch and there is absloutley no picture
>> degradation whatsoever with sky HD and a pioneer upsacaling dvd player
>> feeding through it.
>>
>> My HDTV only has a single HDMI input, so the switch box is a real godsend.

> Thanks. Unfortunately, I've got a problem with my TV now. I pressed mute and
> now the sound on my TV won't come back. The very odd thing is that the sound
> works PERFECTLY when I've got my XBox 360 on, but not when I'm using HDMI
> with the cable TV setup.
>
> I have no idea what the deal is on this one.

Check your cable box, to make sure the audio from THAT isn't muted.

Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
(The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

"Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
--LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

"Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
--me

"This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
--Tony Bourdain

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
but at the very least you need a beer."
-- Frank Zappa

"I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
it's the best thing in the world."
-- Alton Brown

"The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
all history."
-- Robert Heinlein

CJ

"Geena Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> CJ wrote:
>> "the_niner_nation" <niner_nation_sf49ers.com> wrote in message
>> news:45ac3a21$0$4805$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> I have a 4 input hdmi switch and there is absloutley no picture
>>> degradation whatsoever with sky HD and a pioneer upsacaling dvd player
>>> feeding through it.
>>>
>>> My HDTV only has a single HDMI input, so the switch box is a real
>>> godsend.

>> Thanks. Unfortunately, I've got a problem with my TV now. I pressed mute
>> and now the sound on my TV won't come back. The very odd thing is that
>> the sound works PERFECTLY when I've got my XBox 360 on, but not when I'm
>> using HDMI with the cable TV setup.
>>
>> I have no idea what the deal is on this one.

> Check your cable box, to make sure the audio from THAT isn't muted.

That must have been what it was. When I simply turned the box off and let it
sit a minute, the sound didn't come back. But when I turned the power off to
the box and then let it reboot, the sound came back. I'm not sure how it got
muted though in the box. My TV remote which I used to mute the sound in the
first place doesn't control the cable box and the cable remote doesn't
control the TV. I'm sure there's a technical explanation though, lol.

Alan Bealby

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:59:41 GMT, "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Geena Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> CJ wrote:
>>> "the_niner_nation" <niner_nation_sf49ers.com> wrote in message
>>> news:45ac3a21$0$4805$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks. Unfortunately, I've got a problem with my TV now. I pressed mute
>>> and now the sound on my TV won't come back. The very odd thing is that
>>> the sound works PERFECTLY when I've got my XBox 360 on, but not when I'm
>>> using HDMI with the cable TV setup.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what the deal is on this one.

>> Check your cable box, to make sure the audio from THAT isn't muted.

>That must have been what it was. When I simply turned the box off and let it
>sit a minute, the sound didn't come back. But when I turned the power off to
>the box and then let it reboot, the sound came back. I'm not sure how it got
>muted though in the box. My TV remote which I used to mute the sound in the
>first place doesn't control the cable box and the cable remote doesn't
>control the TV. I'm sure there's a technical explanation though, lol.

My cable box, a Motorola DCT6412 HD PVR, has a bug that causes the
sound to mute at certain times and the solution is to press the Cable
box MUTE button which is set to control the cable box muting function
and not the TV's. Most, if not all, of the self-muting occurs when I
am fast forwarding and return to PLAY mode. It is supposed to be on
the bug list that is to be fixed on the next software update. I
haven't had to cut power to the box to fix this problem but I assume
that is also one way to resolve my mute problem.

Alan Bealby
Remove no_spam from my E-Mail address

Geena Phillips

Alan Bealby wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:59:41 GMT, "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Geena Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Check your cable box, to make sure the audio from THAT isn't muted.

>> That must have been what it was. When I simply turned the box off and let it
>> sit a minute, the sound didn't come back. But when I turned the power off to
>> the box and then let it reboot, the sound came back. I'm not sure how it got
>> muted though in the box. My TV remote which I used to mute the sound in the
>> first place doesn't control the cable box and the cable remote doesn't
>> control the TV. I'm sure there's a technical explanation though, lol.
>>

> My cable box, a Motorola DCT6412 HD PVR, has a bug that causes the
> sound to mute at certain times and the solution is to press the Cable
> box MUTE button which is set to control the cable box muting function
> and not the TV's. Most, if not all, of the self-muting occurs when I
> am fast forwarding and return to PLAY mode. It is supposed to be on
> the bug list that is to be fixed on the next software update. I
> haven't had to cut power to the box to fix this problem but I assume
> that is also one way to resolve my mute problem.

Unfortunately, on my Motorola cable DVR box, if you lock the volume
control into a fixed position (which is the optimal choice), it
sometimes mutes itself for no particular reason. The only way I was able
to solve this problem was to enable the volume control, which means I
have to be careful when using its remote to adjust the volume on my
audio receiver.
[...]

Cisco Switches vs HP ProCurve Switches Greg Cisco 5 07-01-2013 01:48 AM
switches, spanning tree question regarding designated ports and switches alefveld@versatel.nl Cisco 1 12-30-2008 01:24 AM
hdmi in dvd player? :| DVD Video 1 09-21-2004 04:51 AM
native vlan mismatch on 2 2924 switches w/ only 1 vlan defined (same on both switches) avraham shir-el Cisco 4 07-20-2004 08:08 AM

Advertisments