Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD Players with shrunk DVD's

HD-DVD Players with shrunk DVD's

oldman

Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.

If you were successful could you indicate the player used model number
and experiences.

Thanks,

AZ Nomad

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:37:46 -0800, oldman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
>programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
>with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.

Where did you get the insane notion that a HD-DVD player would be able
to improve the mediocrity of a re-compressed video?

**** on an an HDTV set is still ****.

Neck & Red

"oldman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
> programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
> with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.
>
> If you were successful could you indicate the player used model number
> and experiences.

An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
player..so there's no improvement.

unclejr

Neck & Red wrote:
> An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
> player..so there's no improvement.

He was probably driving at the upconverting to 720p chip on a typical
HD-DVD player.

I'm guessing that the OP is really trying to figure out if his
compressed (*cough* *cough* stolen) DVDs will look any good on his HDTV
upconverted to 720p with an HD-DVD player.

-Junior

Joshua Zyber

"oldman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
> programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
> with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.

Why don't you just quit bootlegging DVDs and buy legit copies, jackass?

Aaron J. Bossig

"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1168741075.380177.135740@
11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:

> Neck & Red wrote:
>> An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
>> player..so there's no improvement.

> He was probably driving at the upconverting to 720p chip on a typical
> HD-DVD player.
>
> I'm guessing that the OP is really trying to figure out if his
> compressed (*cough* *cough* stolen) DVDs will look any good on his HDTV
> upconverted to 720p with an HD-DVD player.

You'd think someone who could afford an HD-DVD player and HDTV would
be able to buy their own movies.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

MassiveProng

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 01:05:52 GMT, AZ Nomad
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:37:46 -0800, oldman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
>>programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
>>with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.

>Where did you get the insane notion that a HD-DVD player would be able
>to improve the mediocrity of a re-compressed video?
>
>**** on an an HDTV set is still ****.

Damn. You got one right.

MassiveProng

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 01:41:38 GMT, "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>"oldman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
>> programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
>> with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.
>>
>> If you were successful could you indicate the player used model number
>> and experiences.

>An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
>player..so there's no improvement.

It does inasmuch as it has better upconversion, and premium audio
handling capacity.

My HD-XA1 has top line audio processing.

The best DVD players likely are a tad short of that mark. Even
Pioneer's Elite series, and like it or not, they were still the
masters of optical disc devices and post read stream handling.

Alas... then they mistakenly chose BluTurd. If only Pioneer had
chose to work with Toshiba. This thing would have been over before it
even started.

MassiveProng

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:06:34 -0600, "Aaron J. Bossig"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1168741075.380177.135740@
>11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Neck & Red wrote:
>>> An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
>>> player..so there's no improvement.

>> He was probably driving at the upconverting to 720p chip on a typical
>> HD-DVD player.
>>
>> I'm guessing that the OP is really trying to figure out if his
>> compressed (*cough* *cough* stolen) DVDs will look any good on his HDTV
>> upconverted to 720p with an HD-DVD player.

>You'd think someone who could afford an HD-DVD player and HDTV would
>be able to buy their own movies.

Let alone the fact that there are several up-converting standard DVD
form factor players out there. Cheaply priced.

Bill's News

unclejr wrote:
> Neck & Red wrote:
>> An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a
>> normal
>> DVD player..so there's no improvement.

> He was probably driving at the upconverting to 720p chip on a
> typical
> HD-DVD player.

You're undoubtedly right. Consider too that this unit
http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html will produce, via
DVI/HDMI, either 720p or 1080i from a DVD onto an HD monitor
supporting either of those resolutions. And that a modestly
priced graphics card will produce 1080p to an HD monitor
supporting that.

I can't attest to improvements of "compressed" DVDs, but I can
vouch for xvid compressions of cropped, SD captured, digital TV
shows, in 16:9 aspect played back via either way mentioned are
very satisfactory on a 42" 1080p capable monitor. There is much
to be said for good up-scaling of SD to HD resolution, which
mitigates the need to rush into HD players for the near future.

> I'm guessing that the OP is really trying to figure out if his
> compressed (*cough* *cough* stolen) DVDs will look any good on
> his
> HDTV upconverted to 720p with an HD-DVD player.
>
> -Junior

Aside: It seems to me that more DVDs are being sold (using
IMDB/Amazon as a guide) in 4:3 format lately. Not the hottest
items, but items only a little further down the list of new
releases. It's having an effect on my buying habits, and I find
myself looking for these items to appear on TV for capture. Has
anyone else felt this?