Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD format war over, HD-DVD wins

HD format war over, HD-DVD wins

elrous0@pop.uky.edu

Well, that was fast:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/

-Eric

Derek Janssen

> Well, that was fast:
>
> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/

....Gosh, it'll be as successful as porn on UMD!

Derek Janssen (y'know, it's like when the corporations started taking
over Vegas, and the mob just couldn't get a foothold anymore)
(E-Mail Removed)

MassiveProng

On 11 Jan 2007 14:01:01 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) Gave us:

>Well, that was fast:
>
>http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/
>
>-Eric

I guess I am supposed to take that as a "shot in the arm" ;-]

penicillin...

MassiveProng

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:25:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Well, that was fast:
>>
>> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/

>...Gosh, it'll be as successful as porn on UMD!

You should see all those guys on the bus with their PSPs playing
their porn for their girlfriends...

Derek Janssen

MassiveProng wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2007 14:01:01 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) Gave us:
>

>>Well, that was fast:
>>
>>http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/

> I guess I am supposed to take that as a "shot in the arm" ;-]

Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
Internet)--
And goes pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
http://www.thedigitalbits.com

---
A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
that porn will decide this format war.
---

Derek Janssen (hard for us old-schoolers to accept, but porn rapidly
seems to be becoming the Atari of the home-theater wars)
(E-Mail Removed)

MassiveProng

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:07:24 -0500, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>MassiveProng wrote:
>
>> On 11 Jan 2007 14:01:01 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) Gave us:
>>

>>>Well, that was fast:
>>>
>>>http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/

>> I guess I am supposed to take that as a "shot in the arm" ;-]

>Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
>isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
>when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
>Internet)--
>And goes pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
>http://www.thedigitalbits.com
>
>---
>A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
>leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
>have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
>story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
>it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
>I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
>way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
>film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
>HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
>difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
>Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
>you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
>often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
>sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
>much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
>and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
>companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
>that porn will decide this format war.

Very well done, I must say... I agree. Times have changed.

That's why I see no war, and once the studios get comfortable, we'll
even see cross over pressings.

Derek Janssen

MassiveProng wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:07:24 -0500, Derek Janssen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>>Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
>>isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
>>when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
>>Internet)--
>>And pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
>>http://www.thedigitalbits.com
>>
>>---
>>A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
>>leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
>>have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
>>story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
>>it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
>>I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
>>way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
>>film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
>>HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
>>difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
>>Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
>>you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
>>often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
>>sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
>>much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
>>and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
>>companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
>>that porn will decide this format war.

> Very well done, I must say... I agree. Times have changed.
>
> That's why I see no war, and once the studios get comfortable, we'll
> even see cross over pressings.

....Uh, you did read the part where the porn studios (among other
mom-and-pop's) said they adopted HD because Blu was too danged expensive
for struggling indies to produce?

Derek Janssen (a fact also overlooked in the VHS vs. Beta war)
(E-Mail Removed)

manitou

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Well, that was fast:
>
> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/
>
> -Eric

http://www.hdporn.tv/hdporn.htm

<g>

m....

MassiveProng

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:27:03 -0500, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>MassiveProng wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:07:24 -0500, Derek Janssen
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>>>Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
>>>isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
>>>when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
>>>Internet)--
>>>And pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
>>>http://www.thedigitalbits.com
>>>
>>>---
>>>A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
>>>leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
>>>have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
>>>story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
>>>it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
>>>I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
>>>way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
>>>film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
>>>HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
>>>difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
>>>Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
>>>you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
>>>often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
>>>sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
>>>much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
>>>and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
>>>companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
>>>that porn will decide this format war.

>> Very well done, I must say... I agree. Times have changed.
>>
>> That's why I see no war, and once the studios get comfortable, we'll
>> even see cross over pressings.

>...Uh, you did read the part where the porn studios (among other
>mom-and-pop's) said they adopted HD because Blu was too danged expensive
>for struggling indies to produce?

Does that not mean then, that the end result is a few "indies" that
are now struggling a bit less? as in employed.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>MassiveProng wrote:
>
>> On 11 Jan 2007 14:01:01 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) Gave us:
>>

>>>Well, that was fast:
>>>
>>>http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ce...hddvd_blu_ray/

>> I guess I am supposed to take that as a "shot in the arm" ;-]

>Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
>isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
>when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
>Internet)--
>And goes pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
>http://www.thedigitalbits.com
>
>---
>A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
>leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
>have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
>story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
>it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
>I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
>way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
>film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
>HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
>difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
>Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
>you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
>often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
>sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
>much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
>and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
>companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
>that porn will decide this format war.
>---

Those arent A$$ pimples, they are most likely HIV or Herpies.