Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Looking for a tool to split VOB files

Looking for a tool to split VOB files

Ikke

Hi everybody,

Well, basically like the title says I am looking for a tool that can split
a VOB file.

Can anyone recommend a freeware/working shareware software to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Ikke

xeaglecrest@att.net

Ikke wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Well, basically like the title says I am looking for a tool that can split
> a VOB file.
>
> Can anyone recommend a freeware/working shareware software to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ikke

DVD Shrink in re-author mode.

Ikke

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Ikke wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Well, basically like the title says I am looking for a tool that can
>> split a VOB file.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a freeware/working shareware software to do
>> this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Ikke

> DVD Shrink in re-author mode.

Thanks, but that doesn't work. I've tried it, but it can't even open a vob
file. It keeps looking for the video_ts.ifo file, but I don't have that. I
only have a single chapter of the dvd.

Basically, I'm looking for a freeware tool that can open vobs, cut them
(NOT in chunks of x mb, but within a range I can specify myself), and then
saves the range I selected.

Ikke

xeaglecrest@att.net

Ikke wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Ikke wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi everybody,
> >>
> >> Well, basically like the title says I am looking for a tool that can
> >> split a VOB file.
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a freeware/working shareware software to do
> >> this?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Ikke

> > DVD Shrink in re-author mode.

> Thanks, but that doesn't work. I've tried it, but it can't even open a vob
> file. It keeps looking for the video_ts.ifo file, but I don't have that. I
> only have a single chapter of the dvd.
>
> Basically, I'm looking for a freeware tool that can open vobs, cut them
> (NOT in chunks of x mb, but within a range I can specify myself), and then
> saves the range I selected.
>
> Ikke

It not freeware, but TMpgEnc DVD Author will work if the video_ts file
is missing.
Just rename the .vob to .mpg and use the "Add file" button rather than
the
"Add DVD video" button.
-Bill

Ikke

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Ikke wrote:
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> > DVD Shrink in re-author mode.

>> Thanks, but that doesn't work. I've tried it, but it can't even open
>> a vob file. It keeps looking for the video_ts.ifo file, but I don't
>> have that. I only have a single chapter of the dvd.
>>
>> Basically, I'm looking for a freeware tool that can open vobs, cut
>> them (NOT in chunks of x mb, but within a range I can specify
>> myself), and then saves the range I selected.
>>
>> Ikke

> It not freeware, but TMpgEnc DVD Author will work if the video_ts file
> is missing.
> Just rename the .vob to .mpg and use the "Add file" button rather
> than the
> "Add DVD video" button.
> -Bill

Thanks for the suggestions. They have a trial version which you need to
validate online, and which fully works for 14 days - ideal for me since I
only need it once.

Alas, it doesn't work. I've tried importing the vob file like you said, but
now I get the following errors:

"The NTSC DVD-Video standard does not accept MPEG-2 with a resolution of
720x576"
and
"The NTSC DVD-Video standard does not accept a framerate 25 fps"

Pff... If I can't find a tool by the end of the week, I'll just need to
roll my own. Apparently there is a niche for it

Ikke

Ikke

Ikke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

<snipped all>

Whoops... Spoke too soon... That'll teach me to test new software at 2 in
the morning

Apparently I missed the option on the first screen to choose between NTSC
and PAL. After making the switch, I was able to not only import the vob I
wanted to process, but also to cut out the range and export it to a new vob
file!

Bill, thank you very much for your help!

Ikke

Little Red Hen

"Ikke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Ikke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> <snipped all>
>
> Whoops... Spoke too soon... That'll teach me to test new software at 2 in
> the morning
>
> Apparently I missed the option on the first screen to choose between NTSC
> and PAL. After making the switch, I was able to not only import the vob I
> wanted to process, but also to cut out the range and export it to a new
> vob
> file!
>
> Bill, thank you very much for your help!
>
> Ikke

MPEGStreamclip http://www.squared5.com/ supports

MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO, DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV, REC,
VID, AVR, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3...

is free and you can do basic top and tail editing. It will play vob files
and a whole range of other files. You can then export as a mpeg file to use
to author a dvd etc.

It's available for Windows or MAC the only other program you need to have
installed is QuickTime or QuickTime Alternative (the free program from
free-codecs)

Ikke

"Little Red Hen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:uBnph.110$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Ikke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Ikke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>> <snipped all>
>>
>> Whoops... Spoke too soon... That'll teach me to test new software at
>> 2 in the morning
>>
>> Apparently I missed the option on the first screen to choose between
>> NTSC and PAL. After making the switch, I was able to not only import
>> the vob I wanted to process, but also to cut out the range and export
>> it to a new vob
>> file!
>>
>> Bill, thank you very much for your help!
>>
>> Ikke

> MPEGStreamclip http://www.squared5.com/ supports
>
> MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO, DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV,
> REC, VID, AVR, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3...
>
> is free and you can do basic top and tail editing. It will play vob
> files
> and a whole range of other files. You can then export as a mpeg file
> to use to author a dvd etc.
>
> It's available for Windows or MAC the only other program you need to
> have installed is QuickTime or QuickTime Alternative (the free program
> from free-codecs)

Thanks for the hint - I've already converted the vob file thanks to Bill,
but I'll download it anyway and give it a try... You never know when you
might need it again

Thanks!

Ikke

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ikke wrote:
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> > DVD Shrink in re-author mode.

>> Thanks, but that doesn't work. I've tried it, but it can't even
>> open a vob file. It keeps looking for the video_ts.ifo file,
>> but I don't have that. I only have a single chapter of the dvd.

>> Basically, I'm looking for a freeware tool that can open vobs,
>> cut them (NOT in chunks of x mb, but within a range I can
>> specify myself), and then saves the range I selected.

>> Ikke

>It not freeware, but TMpgEnc DVD Author will work if the video_ts file
>is missing.
>Just rename the .vob to .mpg and use the "Add file" button rather than
>the
>"Add DVD video" button.
>-Bill

And I use VideoRedo to manipulate the VOBs. Also not freeware but
one of the best programs I've purchased. I've just edited down
programs this AM that I recorded a few months ago from cable.

DVDDecryptor in the IFO mode pulls out the VOBs and VideoRedo edits
them quite nicely.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com