Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Circumvent Region Code

Circumvent Region Code

hufaunder@yahoo.com

I live in the USA but was born in Western Europe. I am a proud father
of a little boy and would like him to learn my native language. For
that reason I purchased several CD when visiting Europe. I also
purchased another DVD player for my entertainment center and a portable
DVD player that can handle DVDs independent of the region code.
Unfortunately, none of my computers (2 desktops and 3 laptops) would
play the DVDs. Is there a straight forward way to play these DVD on my
computers?

BTW, I tried DVD Shrink since it can remove region codes. The problem
is that the restriction comes from the HW side. So I can remove the
American region code but when inserting a DVD with another region code
DVD Shrink (and I assume any other software) complains that the region
code does not match.

It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Impmon

On 7 Jan 2007 21:45:07 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
>that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
>perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
>help is highly appreciated.

Computer DVD-ROM (and DVD burner) all have the region code lock to
prevent people from using the PC to bypass the lock.

Easiest way: buy a cheap DVD-ROM and set it to the region you want.
Most DVD-ROM allows you to change region once or twice. So if you
have one set to region 4 (Europe) and another on 1 (North America) you
are covered.

Depending on your drive model, there may be a firmware hack (easy way
but not as easy as second drive) by doing a google for your drive
model.

There are also 3rd party software that works but I had a hard time
using it when changing different region. YMMV

Buchetamo

"Impmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 7 Jan 2007 21:45:07 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
>>that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
>>perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
>>help is highly appreciated.

> Computer DVD-ROM (and DVD burner) all have the region code lock to
> prevent people from using the PC to bypass the lock.
>
> Easiest way: buy a cheap DVD-ROM and set it to the region you want.
> Most DVD-ROM allows you to change region once or twice. So if you
> have one set to region 4 (Europe) and another on 1 (North America) you
> are covered.
>
> Depending on your drive model, there may be a firmware hack (easy way
> but not as easy as second drive) by doing a google for your drive
> model.
>
> There are also 3rd party software that works but I had a hard time
> using it when changing different region. YMMV

Good advice... except Region 4 is NOT Europe. Europe is Region 2, while
Region 4 is Australia, New Zealand & South America.

TB

"Impmon" wrote:

>>It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
>>that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
>>perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
>>help is highly appreciated.

> Computer DVD-ROM (and DVD burner) all have the region code lock to
> prevent people from using the PC to bypass the lock.
>
> Easiest way: buy a cheap DVD-ROM and set it to the region you want.
> Most DVD-ROM allows you to change region once or twice. So if you
> have one set to region 4 (Europe) and another on 1 (North America) you
> are covered.
>
> Depending on your drive model, there may be a firmware hack (easy way
> but not as easy as second drive) by doing a google for your drive
> model.
>
> There are also 3rd party software that works but I had a hard time
> using it when changing different region. YMMV

Just download DVD Region Free. Although it's 40 bucks, you'll never need
another product to circumvent region coding on a pc based dvd player.

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

Works like a charm and runs descretely with most dvd software.

And if you're cheap and don't mind using hacked or illegal software, you can
easily find older versions of this software and similar region code busting
software for download on various hacker sites using a simple Google search.

T.B.

Manda

Have you tried Remote Selector? It's free.

http://www.remoteselector.com/

Manda

CoMa

Free DVD
http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

Free DVD removes region code (RC),
region code enhancement (RCE)
It's only 44K.

CoMa

You can also get ahold of a patched firmware for your
computers DVD writer that makes the machine region free

If you have a NEC DVD writer then look at this page
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/

Here is another site for different firmware updates
for different brands.
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

littlejoeflub@yahoo.com

Impmon wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2007 21:45:07 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
> >that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
> >perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
> >help is highly appreciated.

> Computer DVD-ROM (and DVD burner) all have the region code lock to
> prevent people from using the PC to bypass the lock.
>
> Easiest way: buy a cheap DVD-ROM and set it to the region you want.
> Most DVD-ROM allows you to change region once or twice. So if you
> have one set to region 4 (Europe) and another on 1 (North America) you
> are covered.
>
> Depending on your drive model, there may be a firmware hack (easy way
> but not as easy as second drive) by doing a google for your drive
> model.
>
> There are also 3rd party software that works but I had a hard time
> using it when changing different region. YMMV

Just download the free VideoLAN VLC Media Player from
http://www.videolan.org. It will play any region dvds on your region-1
locked dvd-rom drive with no problems. The FAQ on the website explains
all about why VLC does this compared to other programs.

I originally got this program for it's ability to play busted AVI files
but the ability to play dvds from any region made it even more
valuable. After discovering this feature of VLC I actually started
buying more dvds from outside the USA since I no longer had to worry
about what I would replace my failing Apex 600a legacy player with when
it finally kicked the bucket.

Kimba W. Lion

>I no longer had to worry
>about what I would replace my failing Apex 600a legacy player with when
>it finally kicked the bucket.

OMG--that was a great player in the sense that it first unlocked the region
codes, but for actually watching DVDs it was a POS. There are gazillions of
players out there that are region-free-capable and work a whole lot better.
The best I've found so far is the Oppo 970.

Doug Jacobs

In alt.video.dvd Kimba W. Lion <KimbaWLion> wrote:

> OMG--that was a great player in the sense that it first unlocked the region
> codes, but for actually watching DVDs it was a POS. There are gazillions of
> players out there that are region-free-capable and work a whole lot better.
> The best I've found so far is the Oppo 970.

I've read about the Oppo, and am intrigued. How does the Oppo do region
free? Do you need to hack it, or is it an 'easter egg', or ...? We'll be
getting a HDTV within the next few months and the next thing to upgrade
will be the DVD player.

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98